Easy Steps for Extremas & Mean Value Theorem Problems in Calculus

• Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mvt
In summary, the basic steps for solving extremas problems in calculus are finding the derivative of the function, setting the derivative equal to zero to solve for critical points, evaluating the second derivative to determine maximum or minimum points, and comparing the values of the function to determine the absolute maximum and minimum. To apply the Mean Value Theorem, one must find the slope of the secant line, the derivative of the function, and solve for x. The Mean Value Theorem can only be used to find minimum points, and maximum points can be found using other methods such as the first or second derivative test. To check the correctness of a solution to an extremas problem, one can graph the function and critical points, evaluate the second derivative, compare
iRaid
Can anyone give me an easy way to find extremas and how to use the mean value theorem. This is the first thing in calculus where I read and reread and have no idea what to do when I get to the problems. It just doesn't make sense to me..

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: Basically my question is: Can someone show me their steps in solving a math problem involving these 2 things.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try these notes for max min.

Attachments

• global extrema.pdf
    42.8 KB · Views: 355
  • max-min - open intervals.pdf
    65.1 KB · Views: 301

Related to Easy Steps for Extremas & Mean Value Theorem Problems in Calculus

1. What are the basic steps for solving extremas problems in calculus?

The basic steps for solving extremas problems in calculus are:

1. Find the derivative of the function.
  2. Set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the critical points.
  3. Evaluate the second derivative at each critical point to determine if it is a maximum or minimum point.
  4. Compare the values of the function at the critical points to determine the absolute maximum and minimum.

2. How do I apply the Mean Value Theorem in calculus?

To apply the Mean Value Theorem in calculus, you need to follow these steps:

1. Find the slope of the secant line between the two given points on the function.
  2. Find the derivative of the function.
  3. Set the derivative equal to the slope of the secant line.
  4. Solve for the value of x that satisfies the equation.

3. Can you give an example of solving an extremas problem using the Mean Value Theorem?

Yes, for example, if the function f(x) = x^2 on the interval [0,2], we can use the Mean Value Theorem to find the absolute minimum point.

1. The derivative of f(x) is f'(x) = 2x.
  2. Set f'(x) = 0 and solve for x: 2x = 0, x = 0.
  3. The second derivative of f(x) is f''(x) = 2.
  4. Since f''(0) > 0, the point x = 0 is a minimum point.
  5. Compare the values of f(x) at the critical point and the endpoints: f(0) = 0, f(2) = 4. Therefore, the absolute minimum point is (0,0).

4. Can the Mean Value Theorem be used to find maximum points?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be used to find minimum points. This is because the theorem guarantees the existence of a point with a specific slope, but it does not guarantee the existence of a maximum point with that slope. Maximum points can be found by using the first derivative test or the second derivative test.

5. How can I check if my solution to an extremas problem is correct?

To check if your solution to an extremas problem is correct, you can follow these steps:

1. Graph the original function and the critical points.
  2. Check if the critical points are maximum or minimum points by evaluating the second derivative at those points.
  3. Compare the values of the function at the critical points to determine the absolute maximum and minimum.
  4. Make sure your solution is within the given interval.