Easy density question--no answer given

• Thread starter chawlasimrank
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the alien beings have an acceleration due to gravity of 100 m/s^2 and they float in an atmosphere with a density of 5 kg/m^3. Their density needs to be less than 5 kg/m^3 in order to be neutrally buoyant.
chawlasimrank
< Mentor Note -- Poster has been reminded that they need to use the HH Template and show their work >

A distant alien world has an acceleration due to gravity of g=100 m/s^2. Beings on this planet float in an atmosphere with a density of 5 kg/m^3, and they have a mass of 1 kg. What is their density?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would take "floating" to mean neutral buoyancy - like a helium balloon after a few weeks. It just drifts with the breeze without trying to rise or fall.
What has to happen to a helium balloon to get it to that state? As the helium leaks out of the balloon, the balloon gets smaller and its overall density increases and so it becomes less and less buoyant. What density does that helium balloon need to be neutrally buoyant?

.Scott said:
I would take "floating" to mean neutral buoyancy - like a helium balloon after a few weeks. It just drifts with the breeze without trying to rise or fall.
What has to happen to a helium balloon to get it to that state? As the helium leaks out of the balloon, its density increases and so it becomes less and less buoyant. What density does that helium balloon need to be neutrally buoyant?

The density would need to be less than 5 kg/m^3 correct?

Yup! Actually, it needs to be exactly that.

Exactly 5 kg/m^3? Not less? I thought I would still need a calculation to find out the actual density of these beings despite knowing that it would be less than the density given. I'm not overlooking a formula that relates mass and acceleration, am I?

I suppose less is okay. It would rise until its density matched the atmosphere.
That extra information isn't very useful. Even if you wanted to determine how far up they would float if they were less dense, you would need the atmospheric pressure - which is not given.

Related to Easy density question--no answer given

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. It is usually measured in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The formula for density is D = m/v, where D is density, m is mass, and v is volume.

3. What are some common units of density?

Some common units of density include grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3), kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3), and pounds per cubic inch (lb/in3).

4. How does temperature affect density?

Temperature can affect density because most substances expand when heated and contract when cooled. This means that the volume of a substance will change with temperature, which in turn affects its density.

5. What are some examples of substances with high and low density?

Some examples of substances with high density include lead, gold, and platinum. Some examples of substances with low density include air, helium, and styrofoam.