Each Car has Speed Corresponding to Max Normal Acceleration. Find Time Elasped

In summary, the problem involves two cars, A and B, entering an unbanked and level turn with a maximum normal acceleration of 0.94g. The goal is to determine the elapsed time for each car between its two crossings of line C-C and the relative position of the cars as the second car exits the turn. The formula V^2/r=a is used to determine the speed of each car, and the elapsed time and distance between the cars can be calculated using this formula and the given information.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The two cars A and B enter an unbanked and level turn. They cross line C-C simultaneously, and each car has the speed corresponding to a maximum normal acceleration of 0.94g in the turn. Determine the elapsed time for each car between its two crossings of line C-C. What is the relative position of the two cars as the second car exits the turn? Assume no speed changes throughout.

I have attached an image of the question.

Homework Equations

an = v2/ρ = rθ'2 = vθ'

v = rθ'

The Attempt at a Solution

I' honestly not sure how to start this one. I know an = 0.94g = 9.2214 m/s2

I was thinking of something along the lines:

v = rθ' = r dθ/dt

∫v dt = ∫r dθ

vt = rθ

t = rθ/v

I'm not sure if what I have here makes sense. But if it does, could I substitute v for ds/dt, where ds/dt would be the circumference of the half circle?

Honestly,I'm not sure if what I have makes sense. Any input/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• dyn 2.104.png
    dyn 2.104.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Determine the speed of each vehicle from the formula V^2/r=a. Knowing the speed of each, determine the elapsed time for each vehicle to travel the distance realizing the distances differ. Then determine distance between vehicles.

Related to Each Car has Speed Corresponding to Max Normal Acceleration. Find Time Elasped

1. How do you find the time elapsed in a car with a maximum normal acceleration?

The time elapsed can be found by dividing the maximum normal acceleration by the speed of the car. This will give you the time in seconds it takes for the car to reach its maximum speed.

2. What is the maximum normal acceleration of a car?

The maximum normal acceleration of a car is the highest rate at which the car can accelerate without causing damage to the car or its passengers. It is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. Does the weight of the car affect the time elapsed?

Yes, the weight of the car can affect the time elapsed. Heavier cars require more force to accelerate, so they may take longer to reach their maximum speed compared to lighter cars.

4. How does the time elapsed change if the car's speed changes?

The time elapsed will change if the car's speed changes. The higher the speed, the shorter the time elapsed will be. This is because the car is covering more distance in the same amount of time at a higher speed.

5. Can different factors, such as road conditions, affect the time elapsed?

Yes, different factors such as road conditions can affect the time elapsed. For example, a car traveling on a rough or slippery road may take longer to reach its maximum speed compared to a car traveling on a smooth and dry road.