E & M, E-potential and energy due to charged plate/ rod with infinite length

In summary, the infinite sheet of charge has a surface charge density of 25.9 nC/ m2 and is at a potential of 1.32 kV at the point y = 0, z = 0. The long wire has a linear charge density of 81.1 nC/ m and intersects the x-axis at x = 3.15 m. The potential along the x-axis at x = 0.827 m between wire and sheet is -1.27 kV.
maiad

Homework Statement

An infinite sheet of charge that has a surface charge density of 25.9 nC/ m2 lies in the yz plane, passes through the origin, and is at a potential of 1.32 kV at the point y = 0, z = 0. A long wire having a linear charge density of 81.1 nC/ m lies parallel to the y-axis and intersects the x-axis at x = 3.15 m. Determine, the potential along the x-axis at x = 0.827 m between wire and sheet.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually don't even know where to start to begin with so some hints would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied the method of images? Basically it says that if you have a plane at a particular potential, and a charge above that plane you can create a virtual charge (an image charge) below that plane to give the plane the potential it needs. Start off with finding the potential for the images. I, or someone else (or if you catch it), will get to the charge density later.

I have only learned about gauss's law, property of charged conductors, and Electric potentials ;/ which mostly just consist of equations that we can use

Well, method of images is just an extension of electric potentials. What if you treated the plane as a kind of charge mirror. You could create a potential that was
V=Vline1-Vline2+DCterm
where Vline1 is the potential from the first line charge, Vline2 is the potential of the second line charge, and the DC term is there because the problem wants to be annoying and not have the plane be grounded. The goal is for Vline1 and Vline2 (opposite in charge and location from Vline 1) to cancel their potentials at the (0,0) point. So, once you convince yourself of that geometry, work out what the potential is of 2 line charges (one of opposite charge) separated by 3.15m*2 would be.

Understand?

not quite

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe try looking at the wikipedia page on method of images to start.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_image_charges

The first example on the wiki entry is a simple 1 charge and grounded plane problem. They make an opposite image charge to give the grounded plane a potential of 0 at z=0, where the plane is located. If you understand this problem, you can then imagine if we had a line of charges, then we need a line of images.

ok so i tried another approach
1. E=σ/2ε
2. V=σx/2ε (electric potential for the plane)
3.E=2κλ/(d-x)
4. V=-2λk ln(d-x) (electric potential for the rod)
x being the distance from the origin to the point between the two conductors

I found the potentials in reference to the point but... I'm not sure what i do with the initil potential given.

Last edited:

Related to E & M, E-potential and energy due to charged plate/ rod with infinite length

1. What is the concept of E & M?

The concept of E & M refers to electricity and magnetism, which are two fundamental forces of nature. These forces are responsible for the behavior of charged particles and the generation of magnetic fields.

2. What is E-potential?

E-potential, also known as electric potential, is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. It is defined as the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to a specific point in the electric field.

3. How is energy calculated due to a charged plate/ rod with infinite length?

The energy due to a charged plate/ rod with infinite length can be calculated using the formula E = (1/2)qV, where q is the charge of the plate/rod and V is the potential difference between the two ends of the plate/rod.

4. How does the energy vary with distance from the charged plate/ rod?

The energy due to a charged plate/ rod with infinite length decreases as the distance from the plate/rod increases. This is because the electric potential decreases with distance, resulting in a decrease in the energy of a charged particle placed at that distance.

5. What is the significance of an infinite length in the context of charged plates/ rods?

An infinite length is often used in theoretical calculations involving charged plates/ rods because it simplifies the calculations and eliminates any edge effects. It is also used to model real-life scenarios, where the dimensions of the plates/ rods are considered large enough to be treated as infinite in comparison to the distance between them.