E and V for 2 rings of line charge, radius R separated by R

In summary: There is no need to commit to a particular coordinate system. You can use any coordinate system you like.
mathnerd15
there are 2 rings of charge, radius R on the x-axis separated by a distance R, find the potential and E field.
so don't you have to calculate the field to the left of the 2 rings, in between the 2 rings and to the right? I get these answers for the E field which by symmetry points only on the x-axis away from the rings. in the area to the left and to the right of the rings the 2 fields will add and in between there will be some subtraction
the field for one ring, positive lambda charge pointing away from the ring in 2 directions is:
[tex]\frac{\lambda 2\pi rx}{4\pi \epsilon (r^2+x^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-2qx-qr}{4\pi \epsilon (r^2+x^2)^{3/2}}, \frac{q(2x-r)}{4\pi \epsilon (r^2+x^2)^{3/2}}, \frac{2qx+qr}{4\pi \epsilon (r^2+x^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
by symmetry, the absolute value of the fields to the left and to the right of 2 rings are equal

for V to the right of 2 rings:
[tex]-\int_{\infty }^{x}\frac{2qx+qr}{4\pi \epsilon (r^2+x^2)^{3/2}}= \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon r(\frac{1}{r^2}+1)}[/tex]
for V to the left of the 2 rings, is the potential thus, or can I use a potential from -infinity to x3 the point intersecting the left ring?
[tex]-\int_{\infty }^{x}\frac{2qx+qr}{4\pi \epsilon (r^2+x^2)^{3/2}}- \int_{x1}^{x2}E2dl-\int_{x2}^{x3}E3dl= \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon r(\frac{1}{r^2}+1)}-V2-V3[/tex]

x=R seems to be interesting

while calculating the potential V between the rings I get this unsolvable integral, is there a way to solve it or do the series expansion? do I calculate the first 2 terms of the expansion?
[tex]-\int_{x1}^{x2}\frac{2qx+qr}{4\pi \epsilon (r^2+x^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
find the potential and E field.
Everywhere, or just on the x-axis?

Keep in mind that your first formula assumes a ring at x=0. At least one of the rings has to be somewhere else. This will lead to a non-trivial field in all three regions of space. Where did you calculate this field?
The potential will depend on x. As you can add an arbitrary constant value to it, I would set the potential in the middle of the two rings to zero. This makes it easier to use the symmetry of the problem.

thanks very much! I have to find the potential/E on the x axis. so I have to change the formula of the other ring for the potential calculation since the 1st will have x=0, but by superposition I should calculate each field separately as x=0?
I calculated E for the 3 regions to the left, in between and to the right of the rings as the 2nd line of equations.
I think there is something wrong with my solution since the answer involves an unsolvable integral in terms of elementary functions

Last edited:
I have to find the potential/E on the x axis. so I have to change the formula of the other ring for the potential calculation since the 1st will have x=0, but by superposition I should calculate each field separately as x=0?
No, you will have to modify the formula for one ring (or both, if you choose x=0 as the center between the rings).

I think there is something wrong with my solution
Yeah, you don't take the position of the rings into account properly.

then V from 0 to R/2 in both directions is-
[tex]V=-\int_{0}^{R/2}\frac{Q(2x-r)}{4\pi \epsilon o(R^2+x^2)^{3/2}}=\frac{-Q}{4\pi \epsilon o}\frac{-2R-x}{R(R^2+x^2)^{3/2}}at[x=0 to R/2]=\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon oR^2}[\sqrt{5}-2][/tex]

and from R/2 to a point x beyond the 2 rings from 0 between the 2 rings is
[tex]V=-\int_{0}^{R/2}E_{1}\cdot dl-\int_{R/2}^{x}E_{1}\cdot dl=\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon o R^2}[\sqrt{5}-2]- \frac{Q(x-2R)}{R\sqrt {R^2+x^2}}[at, x=R/2 to x]= \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon o R^2}[\sqrt {5}-2-\frac{(2R^2-xR)}{\sqrt {R^2+x^2}}+\frac{R}{\sqrt {5}}]=\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon o R^2}[\frac{(5+R)}{\sqrt{5}}-2-\frac{(2R^2-xR)}{\sqrt {R^2+x^2}})[/tex]as the field only changes in 2 regions then you calculate potential absolute value in +-x?
is it good to do the problem in this way or better to do a direct calculation?

Last edited:
First, you should make clear how you choose your coordinate system.
Why do you use a small r in the first formula? Where does (2x-r) come from?
Why is that the total potential, if you just consider one ring?
You need the potential everywhere, not just at R/2.

Please do follow my advice and write down the formula for the electric field of a ring not centered at x=0. You will need this.

Likes 1 person
[tex]E= \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon o(r^2+x^2)^{3/2}}- \frac{Q(R-x) }{4\pi \epsilon o(2R^2-2xr+x^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
Es tut mir sehr leit Herr Mfb. I'm not sure what you mean by the field not centered at x=0, is that lambda q/(4pi epsilon(R^2+x^2)^(3/2) or is there a calculation of the field without superposition. I didn't use R and the 2x-r was a superposition of the 2 fields cancelling each other in the middle region
by the way since x' (distance from each ring separately) varies is it correct to calculate the field between the rings with superposition with the distance from the left ring as x and the distance from the right ring as R-x (fields partially cancel in this region?)
to the left of both rings the x' distance is x and R+x and to the right x' is x and R+x. did I make a mistake in the potential calculation?

to calculate V isn't it unnecessary to commit to a particular reference point using the equation V=-integral from a to b of E dot dl?

Last edited:
I would suggest calculating the potential V and then differentiating it to find ##\vec{E}##. It's easier to work with potential V, which is a scalar quantity, rather than with ##\vec{E}##, which is a vector.

It's not really clear what you're doing in your previous work. First, tell us where you are assuming the rings are. Next, let x specify the position of point P on the x-axis at which you are calculating the potential. What is the potential at P due to the first ring? What is the potential at P due to the second ring? Sum them to find the potential V at P.

Finally, note that ##r## and ##R## are two different variables. Don't use them as if they are interchangeable.

so is the potential energy stored in both rings V then with x=0 at the center of the first ring then q/(4pi epsilon R)+q/(4 pi epsilon (2R^2)^(1/2))? and then E=-Del (V) and you differentiate in respect to x?
I'm not sure for the first ring do you integrate the lambda dr line charge and get 2pi*R*lambda/R=Q/R, but then the limits of integration are 0 to 2 pi R? is lambda dr = dq, differential element of charge that you sum over the ring? in radial coordinates for area the differential element is rdrdtheta, but here it is a line element dl whose sum equals 2piR
I can follow the proof in Griffiths for the potential calculation of a sphere using law of cosines.
by the way so my calculation of the E field for 3 regions is incorrect?

an extension of this problem is to calculate the work needed to place a charge at the center of each ring (ring charge is q1 and q2) and then find the charge q' (of the charges moved from infinity)

Last edited:
the center of the rings of radius R are on the x-axis a distance R apart from the centers of the rings

[tex]Ex=\frac{Qx}{4\pi\epsilon o(x^2+R^2)^{3/2}}-\frac{Q(R-x)}{4\pi\epsilon o((R-x)^2+R^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

perhaps it's better to do the calculations in more complexity. is this correct for the expression of the electric field between the rings where x is the point from ring 1 and R-x is the distance from ring 2? and then to the left of both rings the fields would add with the distance x being x from ring 1 and R+x from ring 2 (same situation to the right of both rings)?

and then the potential between the rings is the integral from x=0 at the center of the first ring to a point on the x-axis r

[tex]V=\int_{0}^{x}-\frac{Qx'dx}{4\pi\epsilon o(x'^2+R^2)^{3/2}}+\frac{Q(R-x')dx}{4\pi\epsilon o((R-x')^2+R^2)^{3/2}}= \\+ \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon o}[\frac{1}{\sqrt{R^2+x^2}}-\frac{1}{R}]+\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon o}[(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2R^2-2Rx+x^2}})-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}R}][/tex]

and then I would need to calculate the potential differently to the left and right of both rings

also taking E=-delx V to check I think I get the E field back as
-(q R)/(4 pi epsilon (2 R^2-2 R x+x^2)^(3/2))+(q x)/(4 pi epsilon (R^2+x^2)^(3/2))+(q x)/(4 pi epsilon (2 R^2-2 R x+x^2)^(3/2))

so do you mean that there is a simpler calculation like with superposition? like do you calculate the potential for ring 1 disregarding ring 2 and then the potential for ring 2 disregarding ring 1 and then add?

Last edited:
mathnerd15 said:
so do you mean that there is a simpler calculation like with superposition? like do you calculate the potential for ring 1 disregarding ring 2 and then the potential for ring 2 disregarding ring 1 and then add?
You can do that, and it is a good approach, yes.

thanks very much! assuming superposition for potentials is true as with E fields...where q1 and q2 are the charges of the rings respectively and Q is the charge moved from infinity.

[tex]V=\frac{q1}{4\pi\epsilon oR}+\frac{q2}{4\pi\epsilon o(\sqrt{2}R)} \\ q1=\frac{4\pi \epsilon o (R^2+a^2)R^{2}}{Q(2R^2+a^2)}[\frac{W1}{R}-\frac{W2}{\sqrt{R^2+a^2}}]= \\ \frac{8\pi \epsilon o R^2}{3Q}[\frac{W1}{R}-\frac{W2}{\sqrt{2}R}], a=R[/tex]

and the E field in the outer regions is so you can calculate the potential there
[tex]Ex outerregion= \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon o(R^2+x^2)^{3/2}}+ \frac{Q(R+x) }{4\pi \epsilon o(R^2+2xR+2x^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to E and V for 2 rings of line charge, radius R separated by R

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field (E) and potential (V) for two rings of line charge with radius R that are separated by a distance R?

The formula for calculating the electric field and potential for two rings of line charge with radius R separated by a distance R is given by:E = kλR/(2πεR) and V = kλ/(2πε) * (ln(2R/d) - 1), where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the charge density, ε is the permittivity of free space, and d is the distance from the center of one ring to a point on the axis perpendicular to the rings.

2. How does the electric field and potential change as the distance between the two rings increases?

As the distance between the two rings increases, both the electric field and potential decrease. This is because the electric field and potential are inversely proportional to the distance between two charges. So, as the distance increases, the electric field and potential decrease accordingly.

3. Can the electric field and potential be negative in this scenario?

Yes, the electric field and potential can be negative in this scenario. This would happen if the charges on the two rings are opposite in sign. In this case, the electric field would be directed towards the negative charge and the potential would decrease in the direction of the electric field.

4. How does changing the radius of the rings affect the electric field and potential?

Changing the radius of the rings would affect the electric field and potential in the following ways:- Increasing the radius of the rings would decrease the electric field and potential, as the charges are spread out over a larger area.- Decreasing the radius of the rings would increase the electric field and potential, as the charges are more concentrated in a smaller area.

5. Can this formula be used to calculate the electric field and potential for any number of rings of line charge?

No, this formula is specifically for two rings of line charge. For any other number of rings, a different formula would need to be used. However, the concept of electric field and potential being inversely proportional to distance would still apply.