Dynamics; I don't get, nor see the wrong assumption.

In summary, the problem involves a 2-kg collar that is free to slide along a smooth shaft, with different scenarios for its motion. The acceleration of the collar is to be determined in each case. The question specifically focuses on case c, where the collar is subjected to a downward acceleration of 2 m/s^2. The solution involves finding the component of acceleration parallel to the shaft, which is not the same as the acceleration relative to the shaft frame of reference.
Pascal1p

Homework Statement

The 2-kg collar C is free to slide along the smooth shaft AB. Determine the acceleration of collar C if (a) the shaft is fixed from moving. (b) Collar A, which is fixed to shaft AB, moves downward at constant velocity along the vertical rod, and (c) collar A is subjected to a downward acceleration of 2 m/s^2. In all cases, the collar moves in the plane.
phpwFrfjM.png

My question is about the case c.

Homework Equations

∑F=m*a

T3. The Attempt at a Solution
KDOGu0X.png

The answer model also says that a(along shaft) does not change, so why doesn't this method work?

Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2016-7-11_16-4-42.png

You do not have the correct expression for the component of acceleration of the collar that is parallel to the shaft. Your expression would be correct if the collar was stuck to the shaft so that it could not slide along the shaft.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at it again, I think this part is correct. You correctly found the component of acceleration of the collar that is along 45 degrees below the horizontal. There will also be a component perpendicular to this.

I believe your error is when you tried to find the acceleration component in y direction.

Last edited:
TSny said:
View attachment 103081

You do not have the correct expression for the component of acceleration of the collar that is parallel to the shaft. Your expression would be correct if the collar was stuck to the shaft so that it could not slide along the shaft.

But even the solution model says that the value of this m*a equals 2*9.81*sin(45). They use: m*a(along shaft)= 2*9.81*sin45 = 2(2cos45 + a[c relative to ab]).
Even if it not stuck to the shaft, the only force that can make it slide along shaft is the gravitational force, which won't change direction nor magnitude during the motion. The normall force is perpendicular to the motion down the shaft, so it is this 2*9.81*sin45 that is making it accelerate down the shaft.

Yes, I was wrong. See the edit to my first post. I don't think you got the y component of acceleration correct.

It's important to keep in mind that the acceleration of 6.94 m/s2 "along the shaft" that you obtained is the component of acceleration at 45 degrees below the horizontal as measured in the Earth frame of reference. It is not the acceleration of the collar relative to the shaft frame of reference.

upload_2016-7-11_17-8-49.png

Related to Dynamics; I don't get, nor see the wrong assumption.

1. What is dynamics in science?

Dynamics in science refers to the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause or change motion. It involves the analysis of how objects move and the factors that affect their movement.

2. How is dynamics related to Newton's laws of motion?

Dynamics is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, which are fundamental principles that explain the behavior of objects in motion. These laws provide a framework for understanding the forces that act on objects and how they affect their motion.

3. What are some common misconceptions about dynamics?

Some common misconceptions about dynamics include the belief that objects need a constant force to maintain motion, or that heavier objects always fall faster than lighter objects. These are both incorrect assumptions and can be explained through the principles of dynamics.

4. How does dynamics play a role in everyday life?

Dynamics plays a significant role in everyday life, as it helps us understand and predict the movement of objects and systems in our environment. For example, dynamics is crucial in designing vehicles, buildings, and bridges, as well as in sports and other physical activities.

5. How can I better understand dynamics?

To better understand dynamics, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is also helpful to engage in hands-on experiments and simulations to visualize and apply the principles of dynamics. Seeking guidance from a knowledgeable teacher or mentor can also aid in understanding this complex subject.