Dynamics exam prep -- forces explanation in FBD please

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a Dynamics exam question that involves a free body diagram, tension, and acceleration. The person is having trouble finding the correct tension and relating it to the acceleration of the rider. They are seeking an explanation for this issue.
Gunter_ZA
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
I am doing a review for a Dynamics exam, but I am having trouble with this one question (below).

Please note the top of the picture contains the answers.

What I have done is make a free body diagram that includes the tension of the cable and the weight of the rider/swing. So according to my calculations for part i:

T= mg cos (30) = 680N

The tangential acceleration is 0

Which according to the provided solutions is incorrect. Am I missing a force?

I figured the tension is integral to finding the velocity of the rider. So I want to get my tension right before I proceed with finding the velocity, though I am also having trouble figuring out how to relate tension and velocity of the acceleration of the rider is 0

I would appreciate an explanation so I can understand.

nSd3YBe.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Gunter_ZA said:
I am doing a review for a Dynamics exam, but I am having trouble with this one question (below).

Please note the top of the picture contains the answers.

What I have done is make a free body diagram that includes the tension of the cable and the weight of the rider/swing. So according to my calculations for part i:

T= mg cos (30) = 680N

The tangential acceleration is 0

Which according to the provided solutions is incorrect. Am I missing a force?

I figured the tension is integral to finding the velocity of the rider. So I want to get my tension right before I proceed with finding the velocity, though I am also having trouble figuring out how to relate tension and velocity of the acceleration of the rider is 0

I would appreciate an explanation so I can understand.

View attachment 197584
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

if the rotational speed is zero, then theta is zero, and T=mg.

As the rotational speed increases, theta increases. So if T=mg cos(theta), the tension would be decreasing with increasing theta, which clearly is not the case. What other force acts on the rider that pulls them out? How does that force add to the tension over and above mg?

Gunter_ZA said:
T= mg cos (30)
With that equation you are saying forces balance along the line of the cable, so there is no acceleration component in that direction.
What acceleration is occurring? In what direction does that have no component?

Related to Dynamics exam prep -- forces explanation in FBD please

What are the key concepts that I should focus on for my Dynamics exam?

The key concepts for Dynamics include Newton's Laws of Motion, forces and their properties, motion in one and two dimensions, work and energy, and rotational motion.

What is a free body diagram (FBD) and why is it important in understanding forces?

A free body diagram is a simplified representation of an object or system that isolates the forces acting on it. It is important because it allows us to visually analyze and understand the various forces acting on an object and how they relate to each other.

Can you explain the different types of forces that may appear in a FBD?

The different types of forces that may appear in a FBD include contact forces (such as friction and normal force), gravitational forces (such as weight and gravitational pull), tension forces, and applied forces (such as a push or pull).

How do I determine the direction and magnitude of forces in a FBD?

The direction of forces can be determined by considering the direction in which the force is acting on the object. The magnitude of forces can be determined by using equations that relate the force to other variables, such as mass and acceleration.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when drawing a FBD?

Some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a FBD include including non-existent forces, forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object, and not labeling the forces correctly. It is important to carefully consider all the forces and their directions in order to accurately represent the system.