Dynamic Analysis of Motion - Biomechanics

In summary, the problem asks for a free body diagram of a leg with a horizontal propulsive force of 200N and a vertical force of 1200N applied to it. The leg has an acceleration of -4m/s2 in the x direction and 8m/s2 in the y direction. The total force across the hip is unknown, as well as the horizontal and vertical components of the force acting across the hip. Using the equation F=ma, the mass of the leg and the forces at the bottom and top of the leg can be used to solve for the unknown forces.
kreuzberg

Homework Statement

A leg has a horizontal propulsive ground reaction force 200N and vertical ground reaction foce of 1200N applied to it. Draw a free body diagram. The leg has an acceleration of -4m/s2 in the x direction and 8m/s2 in the y direction. What are the horizontal + vertical components of the force acting across the hip? What is the total force across the hip?

Homework Equations

F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I have read the community guidelines specifying that you need to show your own attempt. I wish I could but I really have no idea how to do this question. Could someone guide me with how to approach this question? All help would be appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kreuzberg! welcome to pf! :smile:

treat the leg as a separate body

draw a free body diagram for it …

there will be the two given forces at the bottom of the leg (the ground), and two unknown forces (cal them H and V) at the top (the hip)

(technically, there's also the weight of the leg itself, acting vertically at the middle of the leg, but i think that's so small that you're expected to ignore it :wink:)

apply F = ma (i think you'll need to know the mass of the leg) …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Dynamic Analysis of Motion - Biomechanics

1. What is dynamic analysis of motion in biomechanics?

Dynamic analysis of motion in biomechanics is the study of movement and forces in living organisms. It involves using mathematical models and techniques to quantify and understand the mechanical behavior of the body during motion.

2. How is dynamic analysis of motion used in research?

Dynamic analysis of motion is used in research to study various aspects of human and animal movement, such as gait analysis, sports performance, rehabilitation, and injury prevention. It can also help identify potential issues or limitations in movement patterns and inform the development of effective interventions.

3. What are some methods used in dynamic analysis of motion?

Some common methods used in dynamic analysis of motion include motion capture systems, force plates, electromyography (EMG), and computer simulations. These techniques allow researchers to measure and analyze various aspects of motion, such as joint angles, muscle activity, and ground reaction forces.

4. What are the benefits of using dynamic analysis of motion in biomechanics?

Dynamic analysis of motion provides a quantitative and objective approach to understanding movement patterns and their underlying mechanics. It can help identify potential risk factors for injury, improve performance, and inform the development of evidence-based interventions. It also allows for a more detailed and comprehensive analysis of movement compared to traditional observational methods.

5. What are some limitations of dynamic analysis of motion?

Some limitations of dynamic analysis of motion include the cost and complexity of equipment and data processing, as well as the need for specialized expertise to conduct the analysis. Additionally, it may not fully capture the complexity and variability of human movement, and the results may be influenced by external factors such as environment and fatigue.