Dumb What kind of Object is 'My PC/This PC' in Windows 8.1?

In summary: I'm glad I don't have to use google for everything.In summary, Windows 8.1 includes a directory named "My PC" which is a collection of folders and files.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just a dumb question:

What kind of object is 'My PC' in Windows 8.1 ?
when one goes to 'file explorer' , it contains a collection of folders. So I thought it is a directory, but
my friend disagrees with me. Who's right?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it not the same thing as "My Computer"? If so, it's the collection of all drives on your computer, which would contain all folders and all files.You did not say what your friend thinks it is, so we cannot possibly claim he is right or wrong.

BTW, 'folders' and 'directories' are synonymous.

Since you are looking at a collection of folders/directories, one could say you are certainly looking at a directory.

Well, but 'MyPC' does not contain all the folders in the computer. AFAIK, a directory is a collection of folders.

WWGD said:
Well, but 'MyPC' does not contain all the folders in the computer.
How do you know? :smile:

WWGD said:
AFAIK, a directory is a collection of folders.
A directory/folder is a container for files and/or directories/folders.

Directory is a PC term. Folder is simply a user-friendlier Mac synonym of the same entity.

DaveC426913 said:
How do you know?A directory/folder is a collection of files and/or directories/folders.

Directory is a PC term. Folder is simply a user-friendlier Mac synonym of the same entity.

I know because when I go to 'File Explorer' there is a graphical description of the file/folder structure. There are folders (literally) below 'MyPC' , which indicates these folders are contained in my PC , and there are other folders not directly below 'My PC' , showing these are not subfolders of it. For example, 'Desktop' is not contained or is a part of 'My PC'.
But you're right, the term 'folders' is equivalent to 'directories'.

WWGD said:
folders not directly below 'My PC' , showing these are not subfolders of it. For example, 'Desktop' is not contained or is a part of 'My PC'.
'Desktop' is a shortcut to a folder (users/documents/<yourusername/desktop> or somesuch) on your PC. Likely, others are 'Printers', and other such commonly-used locations.

It's a directory/folder structure that's been horribly bloated, corrupted and spaghettified with non-folder/directory functionality via the feature-creepy-bloatware style of MS.

Likes 256bits
I don't know enough about computers to pass a judgment; my biggest beef is the constant change of interface. Would gates like to have his car changed so that the steering wheel is in the roof, the pedal is on the left door, etc? The structure of the car may change, but the 'interface' does not have to.

Likes 256bits
WWGD said:
I don't know enough about computers to pass a judgment; my biggest beef is the constant change of interface. Would gates like to have his car changed so that the steering wheel is in the roof, the pedal is on the left door, etc? The structure of the car may change, but the 'interface' does not have to.
Amen, brudduh, amen.

DaveC426913 said:
Is it not the same thing as "My Computer"?
Yeah, I think so... it's just called "This PC".

Looks something like this?

This PC(1).JPG

Or this?

This PC(2).JPG

DaveC426913 said:
A directory/folder is a container for files and/or directories/folders.

Furthermore, in Windows, a file and a directory are both files, with the difference being that a directory has the directory bit (FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY) set in its attributes.

I just checked, and 'My PC' is not a directory: I used CLI , with the command CD My Computer, and the reply I got was that the path could not be found.

Well, OK. Sure. It's not literally a directory type of object. I thought you meant what is it functionally.

Apologies. I misunderstood.

No problem, DaveC, sorry myself for my useless nitpick, I am plenty confused about windows.. Just trying to figure things out myself --just give me a pepsi, all I want is a pepsi...

Last edited:
WWGD said:
I just checked, and 'My PC' is not a directory:
I no doubt have a misunderstanding also, but it really is called... "This PC."

Desktop(1).JPG
If you can stand to do a bunch of reading, this seems to be a good site... it's my "go to" anyway.

https://www.winhelp.us/
https://www.winhelp.us/sitemap.html

Of course, you did do a Google search? :oldbiggrin:

https://www.google.com/#q=what+is+this+pc+in+windows+8.1

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, OCR, all. Problem with google searches is that, unless you know the topic well-enough, it is difficult to filter out the garbage.

Last edited:
OCR said:
I no doubt have a misunderstanding also...
Ah, OK... maybe not.

If you click the "Properties" of This PC, you should see something about like this.?

System(1).JPG
The Properties of This PC (object) just shows your System Information... Hell, I don't know... lol... :oldbiggrin:

Problem with google searches is that, unless you know the topic well-enough, it is difficult to filter out the garbage.
No dang... lol

Last edited:
Thanks all for your patience with my weirdness about this.

Related to Dumb What kind of Object is 'My PC/This PC' in Windows 8.1?

1. What is 'My PC/This PC' in Windows 8.1?

'My PC/This PC' is a folder in the File Explorer that contains all the files and folders stored on your computer's hard drive. It also includes any connected external storage devices.

2. How do I access 'My PC/This PC' in Windows 8.1?

To access 'My PC/This PC', you can either click on the folder icon on your desktop or open the File Explorer and click on the 'This PC' option in the left sidebar.

3. Can I customize the files and folders displayed in 'My PC/This PC'?

Yes, you can customize the files and folders displayed in 'My PC/This PC' by adding or removing folders from the File Explorer's navigation pane or by creating shortcuts to specific folders within 'My PC/This PC'.

4. What is the purpose of 'My PC/This PC' in Windows 8.1?

The purpose of 'My PC/This PC' is to provide a central location for users to access and manage all the files and folders stored on their computer's hard drive and connected storage devices.

5. Can I rename 'My PC/This PC'?

Yes, you can rename 'My PC/This PC' by right-clicking on the folder and selecting 'Rename'. However, it is recommended to keep the default name as it is a system folder and renaming it may cause issues with certain applications or processes.