Dual vector spaces and linear maps

In summary: ##), which is required for a proper understanding of the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics.
"Don't panic!"
Hi all.

I was hoping I could clarify my understanding on some basic notions of dual spaces.
Suppose I have a vector space [itex]V[/itex] along with a basis [itex]\lbrace\mathbf{e}_{i}\rbrace[/itex], then there is a unique linear map [itex]\tilde{e}^{i}: V\rightarrow \mathbb{F}[/itex] defined by [tex]\tilde{e}^{i}(\mathbf{v})=v^{i} \Rightarrow \tilde{e}^{i}(\mathbf{e}_{j})= \delta^{i}_{j}[/tex]
which maps each vector [itex]\mathbf{v}\in V[/itex] to its [itex]i^{th}[/itex] component [itex]v^{i}\in \mathbb{F}[/itex] with respect to the basis vector [itex]\mathbf{e}_{i}[/itex]. The set of linear maps [itex]\lbrace\tilde{e}^{i}\rbrace[/itex] form a basis for the dual space, [itex]V^{\ast}[/itex], of [itex]V[/itex].

To prove that this map is unique suppose that we have some other linear map [itex]\tilde{f}^{i}[/itex] which also satisfies [itex] \tilde{f}^{i}(\mathbf{e}_{j})= \delta^{i}_{j}[/itex], then as [itex]\lbrace\mathbf{e}_{i}\rbrace[/itex] is a basis for [itex]V[/itex] we can express a vector [itex]\mathbf{v}\in V[/itex] as a unique linear combination [itex]\sum_{j}v^{j}\mathbf{e}_{j}[/itex], and so

[itex] \tilde{e}^{i}\left(\mathbf{v}\right)= \tilde{e}^{i}(\sum_{j}v^{j}\mathbf{e}_{j})= \sum_{j}v^{j} \tilde{e}^{i}(\mathbf{e}_{j})= \sum_{j}v^{j}\delta^{i}_{j} = \sum_{j}v^{j}\tilde{f}^{i}(\mathbf{e}_{j}) = \tilde{f}^{i}\left(\sum_{j}v^{j}\mathbf{e}_{j}\right) = \tilde{f}^{i}(\mathbf{v}) [/itex]

Hence, as [itex]\mathbf{v}[/itex] was chosen arbitrarily, we conclude that [itex]\tilde{e}^{i}=\tilde{f}^{i}[/itex] and as such the mapping [itex]\tilde{e}^{i}: V\rightarrow V^{\ast}[/itex] defined by [tex]\tilde{e}^{i}(\mathbf{v})=v^{i}[/tex] is unique.

To prove that such a mapping exists, let [itex]\mathbf{v}[/itex], and as above, express it in terms of the basis [itex]\lbrace\mathbf{e}_{i}\rbrace[/itex], [itex]\sum_{j}v^{j}\mathbf{e}_{j}[/itex]. Now, as the scalars [itex]v^{i}[/itex] are uniquely determined by [itex]\mathbf{v}[/itex] and therefore, [itex]v^{i}[/itex] is a uniquely determined element of [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex]. This gives us a well defined rule for obtaining an element of [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex] from [itex]V[/itex], i.e. a function from [itex]V[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex]. Thus, there is a function [itex]\tilde{e}^{i}:V \rightarrow \mathbb{F}[/itex] satisfying [tex] \tilde{e}^{i}\left(\mathbf{v}\right)= v^{i}.[/tex]

Now we show that this is a linear map. Let [itex]\mathbf{u}, \mathbf{v}\in V[/itex] and [itex]\alpha, \beta \in\mathbb{F}[/itex]. Let [itex]\mathbf{u}=\sum_{i}a^{i}\mathbf{e}_{i}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{v}=\sum_{i}b^{i}\mathbf{e}_{i}[/itex], with respect to the basis [itex]\lbrace\mathbf{e}_{i}\rbrace[/itex]. Then

[tex]\alpha\mathbf{u} + \beta\mathbf{v} = \sum_{i}\left(\alpha a^{i} + \beta b^{i}\right)\mathbf{e}_{i},[/tex]
and the definition of [itex]\tilde{e}^{i}[/itex] gives
[tex]\tilde{e}^{i}\left(\alpha\mathbf{u} + \beta\mathbf{v}\right) = \left(\alpha a^{i} + \beta b^{i}\right) = \alpha a^{i} + \beta b^{i}= \alpha\tilde{e}^{i}\left(\mathbf{u}\right) + \beta\tilde{e}^{i}\left(\mathbf{v}\right)[/tex]
and so [itex]\tilde{e}^{i}[/itex] is linear.

Sorry for the long-windedness of this post, but I just wanted to check whether my understanding is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's extremely hard for a person to check mathematics that he already believes! These results assume a finite dimensional vector space, correct? Which result establishes that the [itex] {\tilde{e}^{i} } [/itex] are a basis for [itex] V^* [/itex]? (i.e. given an arbitrary linear functional [itex] \tilde{v} [/itex], where is it shown that [itex]\tilde{v} [/itex] can be expessed as a linear combination of the [itex] \tilde{e}^{i} [/itex] ?

"Don't panic!" said:
I just wanted to check whether my understanding is correct?
It is.

Stephen Tashi said:
Which result establishes that the [itex] {\tilde{e}^{i} } [/itex] are a basis for [itex] V^* [/itex]? (i.e. given an arbitrary linear functional [itex] \tilde{v} [/itex], where is it shown that [itex]\tilde{v} [/itex] can be expessed as a linear combination of the [itex] \tilde{e}^{i} [/itex] ?
Not sure if you're asking for yourself or if you intended it to be an exercise for the OP. Either way, here's a hint:
Let ##\mathbf v\in V## be arbitrary. What is ##\tilde e^i(\mathbf v)##?

Ok cool, thanks for taking a look over it. Apologies for the lack of rigour in parts (particularly forgetting to mention that it is a finite dimensional vector space), I was just trying to sort it out in my head really.

Also, why is the dual space to a particular basis for a given vector space [itex]V[/itex] introduced? One thought I had is that it allows one to uniquely determine the components of each of the vectors [itex]v\in V[/itex] with respect to the chosen basis [itex]\lbrace\mathbf{e}_{i} \rbrace[/itex], when there is no notion of an inner product (and as such orthogonality of vectors), etc?!

"Don't panic!" said:
Also, why is the dual space to a particular basis for a given vector space [itex]V[/itex] introduced? One thought I had is that it allows one to uniquely determine the components of each of the vectors [itex]v\in V[/itex] with respect to the chosen basis [itex]\lbrace\mathbf{e}_{i} \rbrace[/itex], when there is no notion of an inner product (and as such orthogonality of vectors), etc?!
You don't need the dual space for that. The uniqueness of the components, i.e. the numbers ##x_i## in the expansion ##x=\sum_{i=1}^n x_i e_i##, follows from the linear independence of the set ##\{e_1,\dots,e_n\}##. (Suppose that we also have ##x=\sum_{i=1}^n y_i e_i##. Then we have ##0=\sum_i (x_i-y_i)e_i##, and since ##\{e_1,\dots,e_n\}## is linearly independent, that implies that ##x_i-y_i=0## for all i).

Edit: I see now that you weren't talking about their uniqueness in general, but rather about having a simple formula for them.

Dual spaces are used mainly to define tensors in a way that's much more elegant and much less confusing than the old-fashioned "transforms as" definition. The concept also has its uses in functional analysis, in particular the mathematics of quantum mechanics. For example, it shows up in the rigorous definition of the adjoint operation (##A\mapsto A^*## or ##A\mapsto A^\dagger##).

Fredrik said:
Edit: I see now that you weren't talking about their uniqueness in general, but rather about having a simple formula for them.

Yes, sorry I was referring to the particular form of the components rather than their uniqueness in general.

Fredrik said:
Dual spaces are used mainly to define tensors in a way that's much more elegant and much less confusing than the old-fashioned "transforms as" definition. The concept also has its uses in functional analysis, in particular the mathematics of quantum mechanics. For example, it shows up in the rigorous definition of the adjoint operation (AA∗A\mapsto A^* or AA†A\mapsto A^\dagger).

Is that through using differential forms and relating them to covariant vector field components (in this case one-forms, [itex]dx^{\mu}[/itex]), as using tangent vectors as a basis (e.g. [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}[/itex]) only enables one to describe contravariant components?

"Don't panic!" said:
Is that through using differential forms and relating them to covariant vector field components (in this case one-forms, [itex]dx^{\mu}[/itex]), as using tangent vectors as a basis (e.g. [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}[/itex]) only enables one to describe contravariant components?
Yes (if I understand the question correctly). It's sometimes convenient to associate something like an n-tuple of numbers with each coordinate system, in a way that makes the n-tuple transform under a change of coordinates, in the "opposite" way of how tangent vector component n-tuples transform. The dual space gives us an easy way to do this.

"Don't panic!" said:
Also, why is the dual space to a particular basis for a given vector space [itex]V[/itex] introduced?

Properly speaking, the dual space [itex] V^* [/itex] of a vector space [itex] V [/itex] is "the" dual space of [itex] V [/itex], it isn't merely a dual space to a particular basis for [itex] V [/itex].

The [itex] \tilde{e}^i [/itex] are one particular basis for [itex] V^* [/itex] and it's fair to say they are defined relative to a particular basis for [itex] V [/itex].

Ok, thanks for your help Fredrik!
Stephen Tashi said:
The e~i \tilde{e}^i are one particular basis for V∗ V^* and it's fair to say they are defined relative to a particular basis for V V .

Yes, sorry that's what I meant really, just didn't think about the wording when I posted my comment.

Related to Dual vector spaces and linear maps

1. What is a dual vector space?

A dual vector space is the set of all linear functionals on a given vector space. It is defined as the set of all linear maps from the original vector space to the field of scalars (usually the real or complex numbers).

2. How is a dual vector space related to a vector space?

A dual vector space is the algebraic dual of a vector space. It is closely related to the original vector space, as it contains all the information about the linear functionals on the vector space.

3. What is a linear map?

A linear map, also known as a linear transformation, is a function between vector spaces that preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication. This means that the output of the function for any given vector is a linear combination of the input vectors.

4. How can dual vector spaces be useful in mathematics?

Dual vector spaces and linear maps are fundamental concepts in linear algebra, and are used in many areas of mathematics and physics. They are particularly useful in functional analysis, where they help in understanding and solving problems related to vector spaces and linear operators.

5. What is the relationship between a dual vector space and its double dual?

The double dual of a vector space is the set of all linear functionals on the dual vector space. This means that the double dual is isomorphic to the original vector space, and every element in the double dual corresponds to a unique element in the original vector space. In other words, the double dual is a "copy" of the original vector space in the space of linear functionals.