Dual major in: physics, computer engineering

In summary, the speaker is a high school junior with a strong interest in physics and computers. They plan to pursue a Ph.D. in physics with a focus on quantum mechanics or particle physics and a career in quantum computing or particle physics research. They are considering a dual major in physics and computer engineering and are enrolled in college-level English and calculus courses. They also have prior experience in computer programming and are confident in their ability to handle the workload in both subjects. They have already completed physics, chemistry, and math courses in high school and are eager to start their college journey.
Mr.Ninja
Hello, I am currently a Jr. in high school and I am very interested in physics and computers. I would like to get a Ph.D. in physics (with emphasis of quantum mechanics or particle physics). For a career I would eventually like to build/research dealing with quantum computing, or be a particle physicist.

I was wondering if anybody has actually done a dual major in physics and computer engineering? Do you guys think it is possible to complete a B.S. with these as dual majors in 4 years?

Next year i am going to be enrolled in 2 semesters of college English, and calculus 1&2.

My school is a small school, so I am able to do an independent study physics class where I will be studying modern physics with a graduate modern physics text. Also for computers I have been sort of a computer nerd since I was 15 so I know how to program in many different languages and such (c/c++, java,perl,ect..). So the college homework in the physics in computer programming should be manageable.

I have already taken physics/chemistry and all math classes our school offers.
Thank-you for taking the time to read this post :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me, and it sounds like you are already ahead of most people. It would be possible(at least at my school) to complete a double major in CE and physics in 4 years if you were ahead of others when you entered(which it sounds like you will be), you take summer courses, and take a lot of classes per semester. Just try to get some undergraduate research in if possible.

Awesome! I am exited already, thanks for presenting the advice to me :) Now is time to work hard. :p

Related to Dual major in: physics, computer engineering

1. What is a dual major in physics and computer engineering?

A dual major in physics and computer engineering is a degree program that allows students to simultaneously study both fields of study. This means that students will take courses in both physics and computer engineering and graduate with two majors.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a dual major in physics and computer engineering?

There are several benefits to pursuing a dual major in physics and computer engineering. Firstly, it allows students to gain a strong foundation in both fields, which can open up a wider range of career opportunities. Additionally, combining these two majors can be beneficial for those interested in pursuing a career in fields such as robotics, data science, or artificial intelligence.

3. Is it possible to complete a dual major in physics and computer engineering in four years?

Yes, it is possible to complete a dual major in physics and computer engineering in four years. However, this may require students to take a heavier course load or to take summer classes. It is important for students to plan their schedule carefully and seek advice from academic advisors to ensure that they can complete the dual major in a timely manner.

4. Can I switch to a dual major in physics and computer engineering later in my college career?

It is possible to switch to a dual major in physics and computer engineering later in your college career, but it may require you to take extra courses and potentially extend your graduation timeline. It is important to speak with academic advisors and plan your schedule carefully if you are considering switching to a dual major.

5. What types of career opportunities are available for individuals with a dual major in physics and computer engineering?

Individuals with a dual major in physics and computer engineering have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in fields such as software development, data analysis, research and development, and more. With the increasing importance of technology in various industries, the demand for individuals with a strong background in both physics and computer engineering is on the rise.