Dual Flush Toilet Installation & Cleaning Issues

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dual
In summary, dual-flush toilets use less water than traditional toilets, but they can be troublesome to clean. One way to deal with the cleaning problem is to adjust the settings on the toilet.
Jimmy Snyder
We just had two dual flow toilets installed in our house. They have two modes of flush, a small flow flush for #1 and a somewhat larger flow for #2. The small flow is really good, it uses very little water compared to our old style toilets. However the large flow is insufficient to clean the bowl after #2, so we have to flush, clean, and flush again. I think even two large flow flushes use less water than the old single flush. However, it's troublesome and disgusting to have to keep cleaning it. I went on the net to find out what to do about it, but I couldn't find any countermeasures. Does anyone else have a dual flow? If so, how do you deal with the cleaning problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've only seen the dual flow when I travel to California for work since they seem to like to force their tree hugging ideas on everyone ;) (mostly joking). Their particular brand of flow for #2 was sufficient so I had no issues with it.

Jimmy Snyder said:
We just had two dual flow toilets installed in our house. They have two modes of flush, a small flow flush for #1 and a somewhat larger flow for #2. The small flow is really good, it uses very little water compared to our old style toilets. However the large flow is insufficient to clean the bowl after #2, so we have to flush, clean, and flush again. I think even two large flow flushes use less water than the old single flush. However, it's troublesome and disgusting to have to keep cleaning it. I went on the net to find out what to do about it, but I couldn't find any countermeasures. Does anyone else have a dual flow? If so, how do you deal with the cleaning problem?
Duals can get kind of stinky. Even if you give them a full flush and another, well, are3 you worse off?

Sending pictures to the manufacturer might have an effect.

Two possible problems:

1) It's not adjusted properly and not allowing enough water on the #2 flush.

2) You have a 1.6 gallon flush toilet - in which case you should still be able to adjust it to get somewhat better results.

I still have the 3.6 gallon flush toilet, so the dual flow flush works great and definitely saves water.

You could try a little more fiber in your diet.

Topher925 said:
You could try a little more fiber in your diet.

:smile::smile: Yer killin' me. :biggrin:

Its common in australia to have duel flush toilets. Actually I can bearly think of one house I've been to that has a single flush toilet.

You guys living in the past?

Can't you just adjust the settings? I just opened up the back of my (non dual flush) toilet and moved some screws around until the water output was satisfactory. You should contact the manufacturer to ask how it can be done.

Blenton said:
Its common in australia to have duel flush toilets. Actually I can bearly think of one house I've been to that has a single flush toilet.

You guys living in the past?

If the toilets follow the CPU industry at all, you'll soon be saying that dual-flush toilets are obsolete and the standard is quad-flush.

spb said:
If the toilets follow the CPU industry at all, you'll soon be saying that dual-flush toilets are obsolete and the standard is quad-flush.

Quad-flush is already becoming obsolete. AMD (Advanced Multiflush Devices) earlier this year released a series of toilets with hexa-flush technology.

spb said:
I don't know how practical it is to apply what appears to be the razor-blade marketing program to toilets.

turbo-1 said:
I don't know how practical it is to apply what appears to be the razor-blade marketing program to toilets.

For your average consumer, it might not be practical, and I'm sure a dual-flush toilet may be all they need for many years. But if you're really after performance you need to check out the benchmarks, and be able to make an informed decision. I know that many days, I wouldn't be able to get by in my line of eating without the latest and greatest.

turbo-1 said:

With a single tiny flusher on the back for detail flushing.

Toto Toilets. Trust me.

I spent ages adjusting mine. The small flush is now adequate for an average wee and will also deal with a small or very glossy poo (and will vanquish a ghostie). The big flush will shift all but the stickiest of turds, but I think that's a function of the bowl surface finish as much as hydraulic capability.

i say just go swipe an antique toilet from some abandoned crack house

Proton Soup said:
i say just go swipe an antique toilet from some abandoned crack house

Yeah, then put it in a ****ing kiln for a week to burn away the crackhead BLECH.

I think I'd rather buy a toilet in Canada.

nismaratwork said:
Yeah, then put it in a ****ing kiln for a week to burn away the crackhead BLECH.

I think I'd rather buy a toilet in Canada.

Aaaah, such refined tastes...the finest Canadian comodes rock :!)!

lisab said:
Aaaah, such refined tastes...the finest Canadian comodes rock :!)!

I believe that the time spent in the lavatory should be time well spent by god! :-p

brewnog said:
I spent ages adjusting mine. The small flush is now adequate for an average wee and will also deal with a small or very glossy poo (and will vanquish a ghostie). The big flush will shift all but the stickiest of turds, but I think that's a function of the bowl surface finish as much as hydraulic capability.

Christ! there's an image I didn't want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrX3EmdKtRc

BobG said:
Where were you when we needed the input of an expert?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=217449

Folding obviously... what kind of barbarian crumples their sanitary tissues?? Beasts! Hottentots! HUNS! That time is meant for contemplation, and what better way than to neatly fold one's 550 thread-count ***-paper. :biggrin:

Chriss: Go to http://www.totousa.com/Products/h/ProductSearchResults/tabid/37/Default.aspx?SearchId=1811d326-750a-4ae2-8fad-b832f27dd5fe

See the clean porcelin and be cleansed. Toto is the way and the truth... come, let's eat sweet rice and poop perfect spheres you could use in LISA...

Last edited by a moderator:
xxChrisxx said:
Christ! there's an image I didn't want.

Come round any time lad, it's adjusted perfectly now. It'll even clean up after the father-in-law after a Friday night special from Al Bilal's...

Mine works fine, i just wish the water was warmer when i have a wee.

wolram said:

:smile::smile:

wolram said:
And shallower, too?

In Israel, every single toilet is dual flush. I have noticed that the #1 setting just barely gets all the yellow out, but the #2 setting cleans out the brown just fine. Personally it does not bother me to leave a bit of yellow in there. But here we have a real shortage of water, so people used to the luxury of water might not be so stringent as us Arrakeen.

dotancohen said:
In Israel, every single toilet is dual flush. I have noticed that the #1 setting just barely gets all the yellow out, but the #2 setting cleans out the brown just fine. Personally it does not bother me to leave a bit of yellow in there. But here we have a real shortage of water, so people used to the luxury of water might not be so stringent as us Arrakeen.

I'm sure all Israeli canines disagree with you.

> I'm sure all Israeli canines disagree with you.
>

Not at all, I've always had dogs and never once one so untrained or neglected that he would quench his thirst in the same place where I dispose my waste! The problem is quite the contrary, convincing them that _first_ they kiss me, _then_ they lick their butts. Order is very important here.

Related to Dual Flush Toilet Installation & Cleaning Issues

1. How do I install a dual flush toilet?

Installing a dual flush toilet is similar to installing a standard toilet. Begin by turning off the water supply and removing the old toilet. Next, install the new toilet according to the manufacturer's instructions. Make sure to properly connect the water supply and test for any leaks. Finally, adjust the dual flush mechanism to ensure it is working properly.

2. What is the benefit of a dual flush toilet?

A dual flush toilet offers two options for flushing - a full flush for solid waste and a half flush for liquid waste. This allows for more efficient water usage and can save a significant amount of water compared to a standard toilet. It also helps to reduce water bills and conserve natural resources.

3. How often should I clean my dual flush toilet?

It is recommended to clean your dual flush toilet at least once a week. This includes wiping down the exterior and interior of the toilet, as well as cleaning the flushing mechanism and the bowl. Use a mild cleaner and a toilet brush to remove any stains or build-up.

4. How do I troubleshoot issues with my dual flush toilet?

If you are experiencing issues with your dual flush toilet, such as inconsistent flushing or leaks, there are a few things you can check. First, make sure the water supply is turned on and the flush mechanism is adjusted properly. If the issue persists, it may be a problem with the flushing mechanism itself and you may need to contact a plumber for repairs.

5. Can I convert a standard toilet to a dual flush toilet?

Yes, it is possible to convert a standard toilet to a dual flush toilet. There are conversion kits available that include a dual flush mechanism and instructions for installation. However, it is recommended to consult a plumber for proper installation to ensure the conversion is done correctly and to avoid any potential issues in the future.