Drawing circuit diagrams in a household

In summary, to draw a circuit diagram of an apartment including circuit breakers and a power meter, you should use standard symbols from the National Electric Code (NEC) and consider using a program like Microsoft Visio with pre-defined electrical shapes. You can also access the NEC book online for reference.
Pur.loin.ed
Okay I'm supposed to draw a circuit diagram of an apartment, including the circuit breakers power meter. How do I draw that something is plugged into an outlet?

I'm supposed to draw the 'kitchen' with 3 panels, parallel circuits used, and following these requirements:

-one panel contains only the stove and has its own circuit breaker
-one panel contains a toaster and mixer
-one panel contains a telephone and can opener

If it's possible, can somebody draw it on paint or something, then send me a link, or post it? I would be very much appreciated :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
I did a search on National Electric Code (NEC -- the laws regarding AC Mains safe construction practices in the US) at wikipedia.org, and got a pretty good hit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_electric_code

I didn't follow the links at the bottom of the article, but it looks like you may be able to access the NEC book online. That would give you the standard symbols to use for the various electrical apparatus and appliances.

I also did a google search on microsoft visio electrical, and got lots of good hits. I was looking to see if Visio had some standard shapes already defined. You can do the same google search to get the hit list. Here is one of the first hits, from a company that sells Visio stencils:

http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
very useful!

Related to Drawing circuit diagrams in a household

1. How do I start drawing a circuit diagram for my household?

To start drawing a circuit diagram for your household, you will need to identify all the electrical components and their connections in your household. This may include outlets, switches, lights, appliances, and circuit breakers. Once you have a clear understanding of the components, you can begin to sketch out the circuit diagram using symbols and labels to represent each component.

2. What symbols should I use in my household circuit diagram?

There are standard symbols that are commonly used in circuit diagrams, and you should use them to ensure clarity and consistency. Some common symbols include a circle for a light, a zigzag line for a resistor, and a straight line for a wire. You can find a comprehensive list of symbols online or in an electrical engineering textbook.

3. Is it necessary to include all household appliances in the circuit diagram?

It is not necessary to include every single household appliance in the circuit diagram. Instead, focus on the major appliances and their connections to the circuit. For example, you may include the refrigerator, air conditioner, or washing machine, as these are typically connected to specific circuits. However, small appliances like lamps or phone chargers can be excluded.

4. Can I use a software program to draw my household circuit diagram?

Yes, there are several software programs available that can help you create a professional-looking circuit diagram for your household. These programs allow you to drag and drop symbols, label components, and easily make changes as needed. Just be sure to choose a program that is specifically designed for circuit diagrams, as general drawing software may not have the necessary symbols and features.

5. What safety precautions should I keep in mind when drawing a household circuit diagram?

When drawing a household circuit diagram, it is important to keep safety in mind. Make sure to turn off the power to the circuit before making any changes or taking measurements. Use proper safety gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when working with electrical components. If you are unsure about any aspect of the circuit or its components, consult a professional electrician.