Drawing a Frequency-Magnitude (Bode) Plot: Thomas's Questions

In summary, Thomas needs to draw a frequency-magnitude (bode) plot of a circuit but is unsure of how to find the RC value. The circuit is a combination of two filters and the transfer function needs to be derived in order to draw the Bode plot. The circuit may be simplified into two RC responses, one high-pass filter and one low-pass filter, but the component values are too close together for this to work.
thomas49th
I need to draw a frequency- magnitude (bode) plot of this circuit:

rccalc.png

Firstly I need to find the RC but I don't have a clue.

It's meant to be 1ms, and I guess that's from 10k * 100nF

BUT why is the 20K not involved?

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you've got a voltage divider comprising two impedances. One is the serial combination of a 100nF capacitor and a 20K resistor, and the other a 100nF capacitor and 10K resistor. You should be able to derive the transfer function on that basis.

I can easily derive the transfer function... but how do I find the RC value

thomas49th said:
I can easily derive the transfer function... but how do I find the RC value

Well, what do you mean by the "RC value"? The circuit is a combination of two filters.

in the transfer function there will be some jwRC. What is the value of RC? What resistors and caps contribute to the RC?

Hang on a sec. I've had a brainwave. I define the RC. I set R = 10K and C = 100nF. I've got myself confused...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
thomas49th said:
Hang on a sec. I've had a brainwave. I define the RC. I set R = 10K and C = 100nF. I've got myself confused...

Thanks for the help!

Er, no.

You may be able to simplify that circuit into two RC responses, one HPF and one LPF, if the two RC values are far enough apart. That may be what you are referring to here.

Otherwise, you use the transfer function that you derived to draw the Bode plot...

berkeman said:
Er, no.

You may be able to simplify that circuit into two RC responses, one HPF and one LPF, if the two RC values are far enough apart. That may be what you are referring to here.

Otherwise, you use the transfer function that you derived to draw the Bode plot...

EDIT -- in the case of this circuit, the component values are too close together to use the trick of separating the LPF and HPF behaviors...

Related to Drawing a Frequency-Magnitude (Bode) Plot: Thomas's Questions

1. What is a frequency-magnitude (Bode) plot?

A frequency-magnitude (Bode) plot is a type of graph used in signal processing and control systems to display the frequency response of a system. It shows the magnitude (amplitude) and phase of a signal as a function of frequency.

2. How is a frequency-magnitude plot different from a regular plot?

A frequency-magnitude plot is a logarithmic plot, with frequency plotted on the x-axis and magnitude plotted on the y-axis. This allows for a better visualization of the frequency response of a system, as it can display a wide range of frequencies on a single graph.

3. What information can be obtained from a frequency-magnitude plot?

A frequency-magnitude plot can provide information about the stability, gain, and phase shift of a system. It can also show the resonant frequency of a system, which is important in understanding its behavior.

4. How is a frequency-magnitude plot used in practical applications?

Frequency-magnitude plots are used in various applications, such as designing filters, amplifiers, and equalizers for audio systems. They are also used in control systems to analyze and optimize the performance of a system.

5. Can a frequency-magnitude plot be used for non-linear systems?

No, a frequency-magnitude plot is only applicable for linear systems. Non-linear systems have a non-linear response to input signals and therefore cannot be accurately represented on a frequency-magnitude plot.