Draw a contour map of the function showing several level curves.

In summary, the conversation was about drawing a contour map of the function f(x,y) = x^3 - y and the process of finding level curves by setting the function equal to a constant. The person was struggling with graphing the level curves, but eventually was able to do so. They also mentioned that a contour map is different from a regular graph.
jheld

Homework Statement

f(x,y) = x^3 - y

Homework Equations

f(x, y) = x^3 - y

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I should be finding the domain and range, but other than that I am not sure what else I need to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
jheld said:

Homework Statement

f(x,y) = x^3 - y

Homework Equations

f(x, y) = x^3 - y

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I should be finding the domain and range, but other than that I am not sure what else I need to do.
? You need to do what you are told to do: Draw several curves of the contour map! That has nothing to do with finding "domain" and range".
Graph x^3- y= -1.
Graph x^3- y= 0.
Graph x^3- y= 1.
Graph x^3- y= 2. etc.

A level curve is when f(x,y) is constant. So you're looking at [tex]x^3 - y = c[/tex] for some c a real number. Try starting with c=0, then see how to modify the level curve when c changes

Okay, I understand what you mean by making it equal that constant and then set the constant to a number of different values, but I'm having a difficult time putting the equation into a way that I can quasi-graph it.

jheld said:
Okay, I understand what you mean by making it equal that constant and then set the constant to a number of different values, but I'm having a difficult time putting the equation into a way that I can quasi-graph it.

Why "quasi-graph" it? Why not just graph them:

y= x3+ 1,
y= x3,
y= x3- 1,
y= x3- 2, etc.
can't be all that hard to graph!

You should be able to graph y = x3 in the plane at the very least

oh yeah, sorry that I didn't reply earlier. I graphed them with no problem. what I meant by 'quasi-graph' is that it is a contour graph, not the usual kind.

What do you see as a difference between a "contour map" and "the usual kind"?

Related to Draw a contour map of the function showing several level curves.

1. What is a contour map?

A contour map is a type of map that shows the variation of a particular variable over a two-dimensional surface. It uses contour lines to represent points of equal value for the variable being measured.

2. How is a contour map created?

A contour map is created by plotting points with the same value for the variable being measured and connecting them with contour lines. These lines are then interpolated to create a smooth representation of the surface.

3. What is the purpose of a contour map?

The purpose of a contour map is to visualize the topography or variation of a particular variable over a two-dimensional surface. It can be used to identify patterns, trends, and areas of high or low values for the variable being measured.

4. How are level curves different from contour lines?

Level curves and contour lines are essentially the same thing. They both represent points of equal value for the variable being measured. The term "level curve" is often used in mathematics, while "contour line" is more commonly used in geography and cartography.

5. What information can be gathered from a contour map?

A contour map can provide information about the topography or variation of a particular variable over a two-dimensional surface. It can also indicate the overall shape and features of the surface, such as peaks, valleys, ridges, and depressions. Additionally, contour maps can show the relationship between different variables, such as elevation and temperature or population density and land use.