Dover style book on control systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the quality of Dover books and the search for similar publishers in other subject areas. The speaker also mentions specific Dover books on control systems and receives a recommendation for other resources on the topic. The conversation also briefly mentions a non-Dover book on feedback control theory.
Gauss M.D.
Been reading some Dover books (topology, ODE:s, complex variables) and I think they've been just brilliant so far. I'd like more books in the same vein on other subjects. Most engineering books are absolutely awful in my opinion (books in the style of Merriam/Kraige mechanics - utterly hand-wavy, almost demeaning theory wise, thick and heavy with focus on braindead exercises and pretty pictures) so I was wondering if there was any equivalent publisher there. A book on control systems would be extra nice to find, but other areas aswell.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the Dover books are excellent, others not so. One common problem is that they are *old*. That's why they're cheap. If you want cutting edge stuff, don't bother with Dover books. On the other hand, if you want basic theory, those Dover books can be quite good. With regard to control systems, Stengel's Optimal Control and Estimation and Anderson's Optimal Filtering are worth a look, and very worth the price.

Likes 1 person
Thanks DH! I'm still an undergrad so I don't mind them not being cutting edge. Any opinion on Feedback Control Theory (Dover Books on Engineering) by John Comstock Doyle?

I don't have that one. It received three good reviews on amazon, but also one very bad review. Four reviews is not enough to make any kind of judgment. The table of contents and intro are viewable on amazon. From that, it appears to me that this book only covers SISO problems and barely touches upon filtering in the time domain.

Related to Dover style book on control systems?

1. What is a Dover style book on control systems?

A Dover style book on control systems is a type of book published by Dover Publications that focuses on the topic of control systems. These books typically cover topics such as control theory, feedback control, and industrial control systems.

2. Who are the target readers for a Dover style book on control systems?

The target readers for a Dover style book on control systems are typically individuals who have a background in engineering or science and are interested in learning more about control systems. These books may also be useful for students and professionals in the field of control systems.

3. What are the benefits of reading a Dover style book on control systems?

Reading a Dover style book on control systems can provide readers with a comprehensive understanding of control systems, including theory, applications, and practical examples. These books also often include exercises and problems to help readers apply their knowledge.

4. Are Dover style books on control systems suitable for beginners?

While Dover style books on control systems may be more suitable for readers with a background in engineering or science, some books may also be suitable for beginners. It is important to check the level of the book before purchasing to ensure it aligns with your knowledge and understanding of control systems.

5. Can I find Dover style books on control systems in electronic formats?

Yes, many Dover style books on control systems are available in electronic formats such as e-books or PDFs. These electronic versions offer the same content as the print versions but may be more convenient for readers who prefer to read on electronic devices.