Doubt from rotational mechanics

In summary, Newton's laws of rotational motion can be applied to a mass about any axis, as long as the torque and moment of inertia are computed about the axes.
ajaysabarish
in Newton's laws of rotational motion,
is the net torque calculated only about centre of mass?or is it valid for torque about any axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the mass to rotate about any point that is not the centre of mass, there would have to be another external force involved.

As for axes of rotation, a long thin strip of a mass would have a different torque along different axes. Very easy to flip a 2x4 along its long axis (twirling it). Not so easy to flip it along its short axes (end-over-end).

DaveC426913 said:
For the mass to rotate about any point that is not the centre of mass, there would have to be another external force involved.

As for axes of rotation, a long thin strip of a mass would have a different torque along different axes. Very easy to flip a 2x4 along its long axis (twirling it). Not so easy to flip it along its short axes (end-over-end).
thank you very much sir,but i couldn't really understand your reply.please be little elaborate,i know that Newton's law for rotation can be applied to center of mass but in a problem,Newton's law of rotation was applied about an hinge.i couldn't understand this,please explain,why is it so?

It is possible to use the rotational analogue of Newton's law, just be careful of the Moment of Inertia that you use in your equations. The Moment of Inertia must be taken about the rotation axes.

Also, if I'm not wrong, ##\tau = I\alpha ## holds only if the axis is fixed. The only exception is if the torque and moment of inertia I are computed about the centre of mass, then the above relation holds if the object is translating with acceleration.

thank you very much for replying,sir.

sir,if we are considering a disc hinged to a rod perpendicular to the plane of disc but it is intersecting the disc at some other than centre,can we still use Newton's law for rotation,if yes then what are the axes about which we can apply this law?and about what axis should torque,moment of inertia and angular acceleration be measured?

Yes you can still use Newton's Law. It would be most useful to consider the torque about the rotation axis, which would passing through the hinge in your question.
So net torque, ##\sum\tau = F\times r = I\alpha## .

In the above equation, everything should be taken with respect to the rotation axis. This includes the moment of inertia I like I was saying in my previous post. So do remember to apply the parallel axis theorem in this case.

JeremyG said:
Yes you can still use Newton's Law. It would be most useful to consider the torque about the rotation axis, which would passing through the hinge in your question.
So net torque, ##\sum\tau = F\times r = I\alpha## .

In the above equation, everything should be taken with respect to the rotation axis. This includes the moment of inertia I like I was saying in my previous post. So do remember to apply the parallel axis theorem in this case.
thank you sir,it cleared my doubt.

Not so fast. It you're doing the moment balance about anything other than the center of mass, you need to include pseudo forces (-ma) in the moment balance. It's always safest to do the moment balance about the center of mass.

Chestermiller said:
Not so fast. It you're doing the moment balance about anything other than the center of mass, you need to include pseudo forces (-ma) in the moment balance. It's always safest to do the moment balance about the center of mass.
sir,can you please illustrate your point in above example.

Related to Doubt from rotational mechanics

What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves the study of torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

What causes doubt in rotational mechanics?

Doubt in rotational mechanics can arise due to the complexity of the subject and the various mathematical equations involved. It can also be caused by the abstract concepts and principles that are difficult to visualize.

How can I overcome doubt in rotational mechanics?

To overcome doubt in rotational mechanics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles. Practice using equations and solving problems to improve your understanding. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a mentor or teacher.

What are some common misconceptions about rotational mechanics?

One common misconception is that rotational motion is the same as circular motion. While circular motion involves a constant radius, rotational motion can involve changes in both radius and angular velocity. Another misconception is that rotational motion only applies to objects with a circular shape, when in fact it can apply to any object that is rotating.

How is rotational mechanics applied in real-life situations?

Rotational mechanics is applied in many real-life situations, such as the motion of a spinning top, the movement of a bicycle wheel, and the rotation of the Earth. It is also used in industries such as engineering, robotics, and aerospace to design and analyze rotating machinery and systems.