Double-Slit time reversal leads to fractal multiple universe theory?

In summary, a proponent of multiple universe theory thought about the infinite branching nature of universes and how time might have a fractal dimension greater than 1.
bernsten69
I was thinking about the time reversal explanation of the double slit experiment, where the anti-wave-particle goes back in time and interferes with the wave-particle that we observed hit the target.

Since we don't actually observe this phantom particle that is traveling back in time (and going through the other slit), it must only exist in our universe when it hits the target, and prior thereto it exists in "another" universe.

I am a proponent of multiple universe theory, and the above got me thinking about the infinite branching nature of universes in multiple universe theory. If you imagine the typical infinite splitting of the universe into other universes every time a wave function collapses, you can imagine a tree branch with infinite branches. However, since we know that there is a time reversal built into the nature of the universe (assuming CPT symmetry), every time you go down a branch, the branch 'curls in on it self' and goes back the other way, itself branching infinite branches in the time reversal direction. Since this happens infinite times every time a wave function collapses, I imagine some sort of fractal supra-dimension of time, where if you were to trace the time-like path of a particle along the tree, you would be graphing a fractaline path.

So, if time operates in this fashion, is there any way we can model it? I find it rather hard to comprehend, since at every moment that the particle moves towards the slit and through it towards the target, and for each and every of the infinite paths it might take, and at each of the infinitely different moments of its travel (unless time and space are quantized), it splits not only forwards in time into infinite universes, but backwards in time into infinite universes as well. If this is the case, wouldn't time have a fractal dimension greater than 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
bernsten69 said:
I was thinking about the time reversal explanation of the double slit experiment, where the anti-wave-particle goes back in time and interferes with the wave-particle that we observed hit the target.

Since we don't actually observe this phantom particle that is traveling back in time (and going through the other slit), it must only exist in our universe when it hits the target, and prior thereto it exists in "another" universe.

I am a proponent of multiple universe theory, and the above got me thinking about the infinite branching nature of universes in multiple universe theory. If you imagine the typical infinite splitting of the universe into other universes every time a wave function collapses, you can imagine a tree branch with infinite branches. However, since we know that there is a time reversal built into the nature of the universe (assuming CPT symmetry), every time you go down a branch, the branch 'curls in on it self' and goes back the other way, itself branching infinite branches in the time reversal direction. Since this happens infinite times every time a wave function collapses, I imagine some sort of fractal supra-dimension of time, where if you were to trace the time-like path of a particle along the tree, you would be graphing a fractaline path.

So, if time operates in this fashion, is there any way we can model it? I find it rather hard to comprehend, since at every moment that the particle moves towards the slit and through it towards the target, and for each and every of the infinite paths it might take, and at each of the infinitely different moments of its travel (unless time and space are quantized), it splits not only forwards in time into infinite universes, but backwards in time into infinite universes as well. If this is the case, wouldn't time have a fractal dimension greater than 1?

The observations of the double slit experiment are explainable without time-reversal, my friend...:)

Yes I know . . .

I wouldn't be asking questions if I wasn't focusing on the advanced wave solution to Maxwell's Equations. . .

See the discussion at:
http://www.physicspost.com/physicsforums/topic.asp-ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=853.htm
regarding Advanced Waves and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler–Feynman_absorber_theory
and The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_choice_quantum_eraser

Just because we don't 'observe' waves traveling backwards in time doesn't mean that we should discard a solution. . . I was wondering if anybody had expounded on the implications of Advanced Waves on Multiple Universe Theory.

Last edited:

Related to Double-Slit time reversal leads to fractal multiple universe theory?

1. What is the Double-Slit Experiment?

The Double-Slit Experiment is a classic physics experiment that involves shining a beam of particles, such as electrons or photons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This experiment has been used to study the wave-particle duality of matter and has important implications for quantum mechanics.

2. How does time reversal work in the Double-Slit Experiment?

In the Double-Slit Experiment, time reversal refers to the act of reversing the direction of time in which the particles are observed passing through the slits. This can be achieved by reversing the direction of a magnetic field or by other means. This reversal results in a mirror image of the interference pattern, with the particles appearing to travel in the opposite direction.

3. What is fractal multiple universe theory?

Fractal multiple universe theory is a speculative concept that suggests the existence of an infinite number of parallel universes, each with its own set of physical laws and constants. These universes are thought to be connected through a fractal-like structure, with each universe branching off into multiple others.

4. How does time reversal in the Double-Slit Experiment support fractal multiple universe theory?

Some physicists have proposed that the time-reversal symmetry observed in the Double-Slit Experiment could provide evidence for the existence of multiple universes. This is because the reversed interference pattern resembles a fractal-like structure, which could be seen as a reflection of the interconnectedness of parallel universes in the multiverse.

5. What are the implications of this theory for our understanding of reality?

If fractal multiple universe theory is true, it would fundamentally change our understanding of reality and the universe. It would mean that there are an infinite number of parallel universes, each with its own unique set of physical laws and constants. This could potentially explain some of the mysteries of quantum mechanics and provide a deeper understanding of the nature of the universe.