Double Slit Problem: Solving Unknown Wavelength

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the unknown wavelength of light overlapping with orange light in a double slit experiment. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation dsin(theta) = m(lambda) and finding the constant value of dsin(theta) by setting the 3rd and 4th fringes of the two wavelengths equal to each other. Using this method, the unknown wavelength is determined to be 450nm.
pari786

Homework Statement

A double slit is illuminated simultaneously with orange light of wavelength 600nm and light of an unknown wavelength. the m=4 bright fringe of the unknown wavelength overlaps the m=3 bright orange fringe. What is the unknown wavelength?

Homework Equations

dsin(theta) = m(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding d for orange light by suing the above formula. I substitued m=3
sin 90 and wavelength as 600 x 10^-9
and got d= 0.0000018m
and then I used this d to find unknown wavelength and used the same above equation but this time substitutes m=4 and sin120 and got wavelength= 0.000000389m or (389nm)

but my answer is wrong ... please tell me where I'm making mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you use sin90 in the first case and sin 120 in the second? We don't know what angle the rays make with the axis.
Since its given that 3rd fringe of the orange light is equal to the 4th fringe of the unknown wavelenght, here the angle both rays (of different wavelengths) make with the axis is the same.
Therefore, here, dsin(theta) is a constant.
Thus, 3*600nm=4*x, giving the unknown wavelength to be 450nm.

chaoseverlasting said:
Why did you use sin90 in the first case and sin 120 in the second? We don't know what angle the rays make with the axis.
Since its given that 3rd fringe of the orange light is equal to the 4th fringe of the unknown wavelenght, here the angle both rays (of different wavelengths) make with the axis is the same.
Therefore, here, dsin(theta) is a constant.
Thus, 3*600nm=4*x, giving the unknown wavelength to be 450nm.

Yeah, I realized later on that angles are wrong ... I used
(delta)r = m(wavelength)
first I found the delta r quantity for orange light by substituting m=3 and wavelength = 600*10^-9m

and I got Delta r = 0.0000018 m and then I used the same equation but different value of m =4 (given in the question)
I got the same wavelength 450nm.

But thanks for the help.

Related to Double Slit Problem: Solving Unknown Wavelength

1. What is the double slit problem?

The double slit problem is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the behavior of waves, particles, and their interactions. It involves a simple experiment where a beam of particles or waves is passed through two parallel slits, and the resulting interference pattern is observed.

2. How is the double slit problem solved?

The double slit problem can be solved by using the principles of diffraction and interference. The key to solving the problem is to understand that the waves or particles passing through the two slits will interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slits.

3. What is the significance of solving the double slit problem?

Solving the double slit problem has significant implications in the field of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of matter and energy at the microscopic level. It also has practical applications in various fields such as optics, electronics, and telecommunications.

4. What is the role of wavelength in the double slit problem?

The wavelength of the particles or waves passing through the double slits plays a crucial role in determining the interference pattern. It is used to calculate the distance between the fringes and can be measured by analyzing the spacing of the fringes on the screen.

5. How can the unknown wavelength be determined in the double slit problem?

The unknown wavelength can be determined by using the equation λ = dsinθ/n, where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the slits, θ is the angle between the screen and the line connecting the slits, and n is the order of the fringe. By measuring these parameters and plugging them into the equation, the unknown wavelength can be calculated.