Double Pendulum With Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a special pendulum with two masses connected by a rope. The question asks for the acceleration at which the pendulum is lowered and the conversation involves solving the problem using equations for force and weight. There is some confusion over the correct answer, with one participant suggesting the answer given in the book is incorrect. The conversation also briefly mentions a separate problem involving a spinning disk and a question about tension in a string.
matineesuxxx

Homework Statement

You are holding a special pendulum with two masses [itex] m_1 [/itex] and [itex] m_2 [/itex], instead of one, connected by a rope as shown in Fig. You lower the pendulum such that the tension in the rope between the two masses is half the weight of the bottom mass. Find the acceleration with which you lower the pendulum.

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum \hat{\text{F}} = m\hat{a}[/itex]

[itex]\text{w} = m\hat{g}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I simply needed to consider the bottom mass, [itex]m_2[/itex] and so since the forces acting on it are gravity and the tension between the two masses, I set up my equations as such:

[itex]\sum \hat{\text{F}}_\text{y} = \hat{\text{T}}_{1,2} - m_2\hat{g} = -m_2\hat{a}[/itex], where [itex]\hat{\text{T}}_{1,2}=\frac{1}{2}m_2 \hat{g}[/itex]

so I end up with [itex]\hat{a} = \frac{\hat{g}}{2}[/itex], however the book gives an answer of

[itex]\hat{a} = \frac{m_2\hat{g}}{m_1 + m_2}[/itex] but I can only get that answer if I start with

[itex]\sum \hat{\text{F}} =\hat{\text{T}}_{1,2}- m_2\hat{g} = -(m_1 + m_2)\hat{a}[/itex]

Can anybody explain to me why they are using the sum of the masses as the net force acting on [itex]m_2[/itex]?

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the a you calculate is the desired acceleration of mass 1 ? And how does the acceleration of mass 1 come about ?

I do have difficulty believing the book answer too, since ##m_1\rightarrow 0## begets g which I would say is a 100 % overestimate.

BvU said:
Perhaps the a you calculate is the desired acceleration of mass 1 ? And how does the acceleration of mass 1 come about ?

What exactly do you mean? Also, if there is a single mass, m, attached to a string with a downward acceleration of g/2, then then tension in the rope is mg/2; that, as well as your insight, leads me to believe their answer is wrong. However it may not be..

matineesuxxx said:
so I end up with [itex]\hat{a} = \frac{\hat{g}}{2}[/itex]

I agree with your answer a = g/2.

TSny said:
I agree with your answer a = g/2.

Thanks for the confirmation. I am growing very displeased with this textbook due to the number of mistakes.. Take this for example; a question asking how fast you can spin a disk with a mass sitting on it before the mass slides off.

Part b) Find an expression for the tension in the string.

What string? Where is the string?? Not what i had in mind when I learned about "fictitious forces"

matineesuxxx said:
What string? Where is the string?? Not what i had in mind when I learned about "fictitious forces"

:smile:

matineesuxxx said:
...spinning disk..
Nothing so good for building self esteem as improving on a textbook..., but:

I might agree with you on the spinning disk question being mistaken -- if that is the full tekst of the question. Is it ? Anyway, re the latter part of your post:

Fictitious forces are just that: ficitious. Most of the time. No need for them here. If we disregard snapping ropes (strings...), then m1 and m2 experience the same acceleration (it's a string, not a spring): ##\ y_1- y_2\ ## is a constant. Hence ##\ \dot y_1 = \dot y_2\ ## and ##\ \ddot y_1 = \ddot y_2 ##.

Check it out: ##\ T_{12} = {m_2g\over 2}\ ## is a given. ##\ \ddot y_1 = \ddot y_2 = g/2 \ ## is what I claim. For ##m_1## the force balance is then ## m_1 g/2 = m_1 g + m_2 g/2- T_1\ ##, or ##T_1 = (m_1+m_2)\, g/2##. The two balls behave as a whole.

Not exciting at all; nothing fictitious needs to be brought in!

Related to Double Pendulum With Acceleration

1. What is a double pendulum with acceleration?

A double pendulum with acceleration is a physical system consisting of two pendulums connected by a joint and subjected to an external acceleration. This system is commonly used in physics and engineering to model complex dynamical systems.

2. How does a double pendulum with acceleration behave?

A double pendulum with acceleration can exhibit chaotic behavior, where small differences in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes. This is due to the system's sensitivity to initial conditions and the nonlinear relationship between the pendulum's motion and the external acceleration.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a double pendulum with acceleration?

The behavior of a double pendulum with acceleration is affected by a variety of factors, including the length and mass of the pendulums, the angle of the joints, the magnitude and direction of the external acceleration, and the initial conditions of the system.

4. How is a double pendulum with acceleration used in real-life applications?

Double pendulums with acceleration are commonly used in physics and engineering research to study complex dynamical systems. They can also be found in various industrial applications, such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and mechanical engineering.

5. Can a double pendulum with acceleration be used to generate energy?

While a double pendulum with acceleration can exhibit chaotic behavior, it is not a viable source of energy. The energy lost due to friction and air resistance would far outweigh the energy gained from the pendulum's motion, making it an inefficient energy source.