Double integrals in polar coordinates

In summary, double integrals in polar coordinates are used to calculate the area under a two-dimensional polar curve by breaking it down into small polar rectangles. To convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, substitutions for x, y, and dx dy are used. The limits of integration in polar coordinates are determined by the shape of the region and the equations of the polar curve. To evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates, the appropriate integration rules and limits are used. These integrals have real-world applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields for calculating mass, center of mass, moments of inertia, and electric and gravitational fields.
noname1
I was overlooking a problem that my teacher solved and i can't understand a step see took i was wondering if someone you tell me how she got from this step

Double integral rcos(o)(rsino)rto this

Double integral (r/2)^3(2sinocoso)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From what you have written, i don't think it was possible for she to get from the 1st step to the second.

i don't see either, when i do i get to this step which i hope is correct(r²coso)(r²sino) => r^4cososino

Related to Double integrals in polar coordinates

1. What are double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates are a way of calculating the area under a two-dimensional polar curve. It involves breaking down the region into small polar rectangles and summing their areas.

2. How do you convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you need to use the following substitutions:

x = r cosθ

y = r sinθ

dx dy = r dr dθ

3. What is the relation between the limits of integration in Cartesian and polar coordinates?

The limits of integration in polar coordinates are determined by the shape of the region and the equations of the polar curve. In general, the lower limit of integration for r will be 0, and the upper limit will be determined by the distance from the origin to the outermost point of the region. The limits for θ will depend on the angle at which the region starts and ends.

4. How do you evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates?

To evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates, you need to first determine the limits of integration and then use the appropriate integration rules for polar coordinates. This involves integrating with respect to r first, then θ, and using the appropriate limits for each variable.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia for objects with circular or cylindrical symmetry. They are also used in calculating electric and gravitational fields.