Double integral using the dirac delta

In summary, the problem involves integrating a function with a Dirac delta substitution. The given equations are used to simplify the integral, but there is difficulty in substituting the delta for the x-parts. Assistance or suggestions in solving this problem would be appreciated.
plaes

Homework Statement

Need to integrate using the dirac delta substitution:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\!x^2\cos(xy)\sqrt{1-k^2\sin^2(y)}\, dx\, dy
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\cos(xy) = \frac{1}{2}\left(e^{ixy} + e^{-ixy}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\delta\left[g(t)\right] =
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\!e^{ikg(t)}\,dk[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) First I tried replacing cos with the exponents, this allowed breaking the integral into two (almost identical ;) ) parts.
2) Next I should use the second formula (the one with delta) and replace exp with delta, which would help me to get rid of the x-parts...

but the problem is how can I substitute delta when I have something like this (how to deal with the x^2 ?):
[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\!x^2e^{ix(y)}\,dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
\, dyIf I can figure out how to do it, the rest should be easy ;) Any hints/ideas would be really appreciated.

Related to Double integral using the dirac delta

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function is a mathematical concept used in advanced calculus and engineering to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific point in space. It is often denoted by the symbol δ and has the property that it is zero everywhere except at the origin where it is infinite. It is often used in solving problems involving double integrals.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Function used in Double Integrals?

In double integrals, the Dirac Delta Function is used to represent a point mass at a specific point in the integration domain. This allows for simplification of the integral and makes it possible to solve problems involving discontinuous or singular functions. The Dirac Delta Function is often written as a limit of a sequence of regular functions and then integrated with respect to the other variable in the double integral.

3. What are the properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function has several important properties that make it useful in solving problems involving double integrals. These include:

• Zero everywhere except at the origin where it is infinite
  • Even function: δ(-x) = δ(x)
  • Normalization: ∫δ(x)dx = 1
  • Sifting property: ∫δ(x)f(x)dx = f(0)
  • Scaling property: δ(ax) = 1/|a|δ(x)

4. Can the Dirac Delta Function be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Dirac Delta Function can be extended to higher dimensions, such as triple integrals or even n-dimensional integrals. In these cases, it is often denoted by δ(x,y,z) or δ(x1,x2,...,xn) and has similar properties as in the one-dimensional case. It is an important tool for solving problems involving discontinuous or singular functions in multiple dimensions.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Dirac Delta Function in science?

Yes, the Dirac Delta Function has numerous practical applications in science and engineering. It is often used in solving problems involving impulse forces in mechanics, impulse response in signal processing, and delta function potentials in quantum mechanics. It is also used in solving problems involving point masses or point charges in physics and in modeling point sources in fluid dynamics. Additionally, it has applications in image processing and computer vision for edge detection and feature extraction.