Double Checking a Bicycle Downhill Homework Problem

In summary, the problem involves calculating the speed of a bicycle rider going down a 20 m high hill with a mass of 40 kg and a speed of 5 m/s at the top. The force of friction is given as 20 N and the hill is 200 m long. Using the equations for kinetic energy, potential energy, and work, the speed at the bottom of the hill is determined to be 14.7 m/s.
Aikenfan

Homework Statement

I wasn't sure if i was doing this problem correctly, if anyone could double check for me, that would be great!
You ride your bicycle down a hill. Your total mass is 40 kg. At the top of the hill, your
speed is 5 m/s. The hill is 20 m high and 200 m long. If the force of friction is 20 N, what is
your speed at the bottom of the hill?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Top =
KE = 1/2 m v ^2
KE = 1/2 (40) (5)^2 = 500

PE = mgh
(40) (9.8) (20) = 7840

W = Fd
(20)(200)= 4000

7840 - 4000
=3840

3840 + 500 = 4340 = 1/2 (40) v ^2
divide both sides by 20
take the square root, and got 14.7 as my answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok to me. Though I'd be more careful about putting units on things.

Last edited:

I would suggest double checking your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. It is always a good practice to review your work and make sure all the steps are correct. Additionally, it would be helpful to provide more context for the problem, such as the direction of motion and any other forces acting on the bicycle, in order to fully understand the situation and provide an accurate solution. It may also be beneficial to break down the problem into smaller components and use relevant equations, such as the work-energy theorem, to solve for the final velocity at the bottom of the hill. Overall, it is important to be thorough and precise in solving scientific problems to ensure accurate results.

Related to Double Checking a Bicycle Downhill Homework Problem

What is double checking a bicycle downhill homework problem?

Double checking a bicycle downhill homework problem is a method used to ensure the accuracy of calculations and solutions for a homework problem involving a bicycle going downhill. This involves reviewing the problem and solution multiple times to catch any errors or mistakes that may have been made.

Why is it important to double check a bicycle downhill homework problem?

Double checking a bicycle downhill homework problem is important because it can help prevent errors and ensure the accuracy of the final solution. It also allows the scientist to fully understand and explain the problem and solution, enhancing their understanding and knowledge of the subject.

What are the steps involved in double checking a bicycle downhill homework problem?

The steps involved in double checking a bicycle downhill homework problem may vary, but generally include reviewing the problem statement, checking the units and conversions, verifying the equations and calculations, and comparing the final solution to the expected outcome.

How can I effectively double check a bicycle downhill homework problem?

To effectively double check a bicycle downhill homework problem, it is important to take your time and carefully review each step of the problem and solution. It can also be helpful to have a peer or colleague review your work and offer a fresh perspective.

What should I do if I find an error while double checking a bicycle downhill homework problem?

If an error is found while double checking a bicycle downhill homework problem, it is important to correct the mistake and recheck the solution to ensure its accuracy. If necessary, consult with a teacher or mentor for further assistance.