Double check the derivation integral representation of Bessel Function

So everything is fine. Sorry if I misunderstood your question. In summary, the conversation discusses a potential mistake on page 6 of the article "Mirela Vinerean". The conversation also covers the concept of Kronecker delta and the orthogonality properties of sine functions. The conversation concludes that the integral in question is indeed zero for m≠n and that the complex exponential form of the integral is real.
yungman
I am reading the article Mirela Vinerean:

http://www.math.kau.se/mirevine/mf2bess.pdf

On page 6, I have a question about
[tex]e^{\frac{x}{2}t} e^{-\frac{x}{2}\frac{1}{t}}=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}J_n(x)e^{jn\theta}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}J_n(x)[e^{jn\theta}+(-1)^ne^{-jn\theta}][/tex]

I think there is a mistake at the last term. If you look at n=0, the equation will be:
[tex]J_0(x)[e^0+(-1)^0e^{-0}]\;=\;j_0(x)[1+1]\;=\;2J_0(x)[/tex]
Which is not correct. The problem is n=0 is being repeated in both the n=+ve and n=-ve.

The equation should be:
[tex]e^{\frac{x}{2}t} e^{-\frac{x}{2}\frac{1}{t}}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}[J_n(x)e^{jn\theta}]\;+\;\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}[(-1)^ne^{-jn\theta}][/tex]

With this, the first term covers the original n=+ve from 0 to ∞. The second term covers the original from -∞ to -1. Now you only have one term contain n=0. Am I correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Also in the same page right below the equations of the first post:
[tex]\int_0^{\pi} \sin n\theta \sin m\theta d\theta\;=\;\frac{\pi}{2}\delta_{mn}[/tex]

1) What is ##\delta_{mn}##?
2) If m≠n, the result should be zero. But [itex]\int_0^{\pi} \sin n\theta \sin m\theta d\theta\;≠0[/itex] because the integration is from 0 to ##\pi##, not from -##\pi## to +##\pi##.

Thanks

I can't help you with your first post. [itex] \delta_{mn} [/itex] is the Kronecker delta. It is 1 is m=n and 0 if m≠n. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_delta

That integral is zero if m≠n. One to show that is using complex exponentials [tex] \int_0^\pi sin(n\theta)sin(m\theta)d\theta = \int_0^\pi \frac{e^{in\theta}-e^{-in\theta}}{2i}\frac{e^{im\theta}-e^{-im\theta}}{2i} d\theta= -\frac{1}{4} \int_0^\pi e^{i(m+n)\theta}-e^{i(m-n)\theta}-e^{i(n-m)\theta}+e^{-i(m+n)\theta}d\theta [/tex]. Since we know that this integral will be real, we can just consider the real parts of each of the expressions. [itex] \mathrm{Re}(e^{ix})=cos(x) [/itex] so we can write the integral as [tex] -\frac{1}{4} \int_0^\pi cos((m+n)\theta)-cos((n-m)\theta)-cos((m-n)\theta)+cos(-(m+n)\theta) d\theta [/tex]. This is zero since cosine is odd about [itex] \pi/2 [/itex] in sense that [itex] cos(\pi/2+x)=-cos(\pi/2-x) [/itex]. Note that you need m≠n. Else, the [itex] cos((n-m)\theta) [/itex] is constantly one and does not integrate to zero.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
HS-Scientist said:
I can't help you with your first post. [itex] \delta_{mn} [/itex] is the Kronecker delta. It is 1 is m=n and 0 if m≠n. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_delta

That integral is zero if m≠n. One to show that is using complex exponentials [tex] \int_0^\pi sin(n\theta)sin(m\theta)d\theta = \int_0^\pi \frac{e^{in\theta}-e^{-in\theta}}{2i}\frac{e^{im\theta}-e^{-im\theta}}{2i} d\theta= -\frac{1}{4} \int_0^\pi e^{i(m+n)\theta}-e^{i(m-n)\theta}-e^{i(n-m)\theta}+e^{-i(m+n)\theta}d\theta [/tex]. Since we know that this integral will be real, we can just consider the real parts of each of the expressions. [itex] \mathrm{Re}(e^{ix})=cos(x) [/itex] so we can write the integral as [tex] -\frac{1}{4} \int_0^\pi cos((m+n)\theta)-cos((n-m)\theta)-cos((m-n)\theta)+cos(-(m+n)\theta) d\theta [/tex]. This is zero since cosine is odd about [itex] \pi/2 [/itex] in sense that [itex] cos(\pi/2+x)=-cos(\pi/2-x) [/itex]. Note that you need m≠n. Else, the [itex] cos((n-m)\theta) [/itex] is constantly one and does not integrate to zero.

Thanks for the Kronecker delta, I forgot about this one.

I know the cosine part is fine. But if you look at page 6 of the provided link in the first post, the author claimed orthogonality properties with the sine function. That's the part I am challenging.

Thanks

yungman said:
Thanks for the Kronecker delta, I forgot about this one.

I know the cosine part is fine. But if you look at page 6 of the provided link in the first post, the author claimed orthogonality properties with the sine function. That's the part I am challenging.

Thanks

I am confused. Didn't I just show that [itex] \int_0^\pi sin(mx)sin(nx) dx =0 [/itex] where [itex] m \neq n [/itex], which is the orthogonality condition?

Last edited:
HS-Scientist said:

An integral does not have to be real, I don't think you can assume it's real and get rid of the imaginary part.

A very simple test is not use exponential and just go with integration with n=0 and m=1

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} \sin \theta d\theta =-\cos\theta|_0^{\pi}=-[-1-1]=2[/tex]

Last edited:
yungman said:
An integral does not have to be real, I don't think you can assume it's real and get rid of the imaginary part.

It is real. If you wanted to verify this, you could expand all of the [itex] e^{ik\theta} [/itex] (where k is one of the linear combinations of m and n) terms as [itex] cos(k\theta)+isin(k\theta) [/itex] and find that all of the imaginary terms drop out. I skipped this step because the original integral with just sines must be real, and the integral with complex exponentials is only different by a factor of -1/4, so it too must be real.

Edit: I just saw your edit. If n=0, then the integrand is 0 and the integral is trivially zero.

Last edited:
HS-Scientist said:
It is real. If you wanted to verify this, you could expand all of the [itex] e^{ik\theta} [/itex] (where k is one of the linear combinations of m and n) terms as [itex] cos(k\theta)+isin(k\theta) [/itex] and find that all of the imaginary terms drop out. I skipped this step because the original integral with just sines must be real, and the integral with complex exponentials is only different by a factor of -1/4, so it too must be real.

The forum is so slow that we are cross posting. I just edited the last post, I don't even use exponential, just use n=0 and m=1. that will be just integrate a sine function and show it's not zero.

yungman said:
The forum is so slow that we are cross posting. I just edited the last post, I don't even use exponential, just use n=0 and m=1. that will be just integrate a sine function and show it's not zero.

Yes, it is a bit annoying. See my last edit. Look more carefully at what happens to the integrand if one of m or n is zero.

Likes 1 person
yungman said:

You're taking the integral of a real function. That will always be real.

HS-Scientist said:
Yes, it is a bit annoying. See my last edit. Look more carefully at what happens to the integrand if one of m or n is zero.

Yes, I was wrong on the integration. I kept thinking if n=0, then it's an integration of a sine function and it's not zero. But if n=0, the whole thing is zero to start with!

Thanks

Can you help with my first post?

yungman said:
Yes, I was wrong on the integration. I kept thinking if n=0, then it's an integration of a sine function and it's not zero. But if n=0, the whole thing is zero to start with!

Thanks

Can you help with my first post?

Sorry, I can't as I don't know anything about Bessel functions. I hope that you get the answer you need though.

HS-Scientist said:
Sorry, I can't as I don't know anything about Bessel functions. I hope that you get the answer you need though.

Actually the question has not much to do with Bessel Function. All you need to know is if n is an integer, ##J_{-n}(x)=(-1)^n J_n(x)##, the rest is a series problem. It should be

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}J_n(x)e^{jn\theta}\;=\;\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}[J_n(x)e^{jn\theta}]\;+\;\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}[(-1)^nJ_n(x)e^{-jn\theta}][/tex]

Not as the article that:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}J_n(x)e^{jn\theta}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}J_n(x)[e^{jn\theta}+(-1)^ne^{-jn\theta}]\;=\;\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}[J_n(x)e^{jn\theta}]\;+\;\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}[(-1)^nJ_n(x)e^{-jn\theta}][/tex]

According to the article, n=0 are being repeated in both and result in twice the value for n=0.

Anyone please?

Related to Double check the derivation integral representation of Bessel Function

What is the derivation of the integral representation of Bessel functions?

The integral representation of Bessel functions is derived using the method of contour integration, also known as the Euler-Maclaurin formula. It involves integrating a complex exponential function over a closed contour in the complex plane.

Why is it important to double check the derivation of the integral representation of Bessel functions?

Double checking the derivation of the integral representation of Bessel functions is important to ensure accuracy and avoid any errors in the calculations. It also allows for a better understanding of the mathematical concepts involved.

Can the integral representation of Bessel functions be used to evaluate all types of Bessel functions?

Yes, the integral representation of Bessel functions can be used to evaluate all types of Bessel functions, including both the first kind and the second kind.

Are there any limitations to the integral representation of Bessel functions?

The integral representation of Bessel functions is not suitable for all types of calculations, as it may not always converge or provide a closed-form solution. In such cases, other methods of evaluating Bessel functions may be more appropriate.

What are the applications of Bessel functions in science and engineering?

Bessel functions have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are commonly used to solve differential equations, model physical phenomena such as heat transfer and sound waves, and in the design of antennas and filters. They also play a crucial role in the theory of elasticity and quantum mechanics.