Double check apparent power definition

In summary: Complex power = complex voltage * complex admittance?like P + Q = V^2 / (R + X)I think one thing that might be wrong is my jacobian.From what I remember NR uses the form y = f(x)where y is a constant (in this case the powers) and x is the voltages ('volts' matrix), so my function is(volts)^2)*Y_matso the jabobian is:(2*volts*Y_mat)
tim9000
Hey just to make sure,
can we say apparent power S = V^2 / Z

for a complex impedance Z?
And do we have to worry about conjugates at all?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
The total power S = VI. Where S, V and I are all complex. I prefer that to $$\frac{V^2}{Z}$$ because VI works for any circuit.

Is apparent power the same as total power? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by apparent power.

Edit: no conjugations were needed.

I always thought apparent power is the voltage across the complex impedance multiplied by the current through the complex impedance. So, V * I, or V^2 / Z, or I^2 * Z. I don't think I have heard of a definition of total power. But that just might be semantics.

First, you have the complex power:
$$
\mathbf{S} = \mathbf{V}\overline{\mathbf{I}}
$$
where ##\mathbf{V},\mathbf{I}## are RMS phasors. The overline means to take the complex conjugate.

The apparent power is defined as:
$$
|\mathbf{S}| = |\mathbf{V}\overline{\mathbf{I}}| = |\mathbf{V}||\overline{\mathbf{I}}| = |\mathbf{V}||\mathbf{I}| = \frac{|\mathbf{V}|^2}{|\mathbf{Z}|}
$$
which is consumed by the impedance ##\mathbf{Z}## with the voltage ##\mathbf{V}## across it.

anorlunda said:
The total power S = VI. Where S, V and I are all complex. I prefer that to $$\frac{V^2}{Z}$$ because VI works for any circuit.

Is apparent power the same as total power? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by apparent power.

Edit: no conjugations were needed.
Averagesupernova said:
I always thought apparent power is the voltage across the complex impedance multiplied by the current through the complex impedance. So, V * I, or V^2 / Z, or I^2 * Z. I don't think I have heard of a definition of total power. But that just might be semantics.
Yeah Averagesupernova, I think that's right, I always think of it as being the hypotenuse of the reactive and real power.

milesyoung said:
First, you have the complex power:
$$
\mathbf{S} = \mathbf{V}\overline{\mathbf{I}}
$$
where ##\mathbf{V},\mathbf{I}## are RMS phasors. The overline means to take the complex conjugate.

The apparent power is defined as:
$$
|\mathbf{S}| = |\mathbf{V}\overline{\mathbf{I}}| = |\mathbf{V}||\overline{\mathbf{I}}| = |\mathbf{V}||\mathbf{I}| = \frac{|\mathbf{V}|^2}{|\mathbf{Z}|}
$$
which is consumed by the impedance ##\mathbf{Z}## with the voltage ##\mathbf{V}## across it.
Hi Miles, thanks.
Ah ok, it is for magnitudes. But what about if I still wanted it all to be in terms of comples voltages, currents and powers?

Specifically because I'm trying to work out a Newton raphson here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...on-matlab-not-converging.839961/#post-5270803

Using the aforementioned power equation. I'm trying to work out the complex voltages for 4 busses in Matlab. Where I have worked out the matricies for the complex power for each bus and the admittance matrix.Thank you

tim9000 said:
But what about if I still wanted it all to be in terms of comples voltages, currents and powers?
##\mathbf{V}## and ##\mathbf{Z}## are complex.

When you need the apparent power, then you could just, for instance, use the 'abs' function in MATLAB to find ##|\mathbf{V}|,|\mathbf{Z}|##.

milesyoung said:
##\mathbf{V}## and ##\mathbf{Z}## are complex.

When you need the apparent power, then you could just, for instance, use the 'abs' function in MATLAB to find ##|\mathbf{V}|,|\mathbf{Z}|##.
Hey Miles,
Yeah I actually tried that yesterday, but now I'm thinking I can't use apparent power. So is it incorrect to say that:

Complex power = complex voltage * complex admittance?
like P + Q = V^2 / (R + X)

I think one thing that might be wrong is my jacobian.
From what I remember NR uses the form y = f(x)
where y is a constant (in this case the powers) and x is the voltages ('volts' matrix), so my function is
(volts)^2)*Y_mat

so the jabobian is:
(2*volts*Y_mat)

? Or have I not differentiated that properly?

Last edited:

Related to Double check apparent power definition

1. What is the definition of apparent power?

Apparent power is the total power consumed by a circuit, including both real power (measured in watts) and reactive power (measured in volt-amps reactive or VARs). It is represented by the complex number S, where S = P + jQ, and is measured in units of volt-amps (VA).

2. How does apparent power differ from real power?

Real power is the actual power consumed by a circuit to perform useful work, such as powering a device. Apparent power, on the other hand, also takes into account the power used to maintain the circuit's magnetic field and does not contribute to the actual work being done. This is known as reactive power and is necessary for inductive devices such as motors or transformers.

3. How is apparent power calculated?

Apparent power is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current in a circuit, taking into account their respective phase angles. It is represented by the equation S = V * I * cos(θ), where V is the voltage, I is the current, and θ is the phase angle between them.

4. Why is it important to double check the apparent power definition?

It is important to double check the apparent power definition because it is often confused with real power, which can lead to incorrect calculations and inadequate power supply for devices. Understanding and accurately calculating apparent power is crucial for maintaining the proper functioning of electrical systems.

5. What are some common applications of apparent power?

Apparent power is used in a variety of applications, such as determining the capacity of an electrical system, sizing circuit breakers and transformers, and assessing power quality. It is also important for measuring power consumption in industrial and commercial settings and can help identify and troubleshoot power issues.