Dot Product of G and A: Where Do the Denominators Go?

In summary, the problem asks for the dot product of G and A, where A is a vector with components (a3/l - a1/h) and G is a vector with components (2πha2xa3)/(a1•a2xa3). The dot product of a vector with itself is not necessarily 1 and the solution may depend on the values of the components of the vectors.
8614smith

Homework Statement

what is the dot product of [tex]G{\bullet}A[/tex] where A = [tex]\left(\frac{a_3}{l}-\frac{{a_1}}{h}\right)[/tex] and G = [tex]2{\pi}h{\frac{{a_2}}x{{a_3}}}{{a_1}{\bullet}{{a_2}}x{{a_3}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is zero and I've got the worked solution infront of me, i just done see where the [tex]\frac{{{a_3}}}{l}[/tex] goes, the dot product of a vector with itself is 1 isn't it? but then where does the denominator go? and what about the denominator of G?

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry that first bit should say:

G = [tex]2{\pi}h{\frac{{a_2}x{a_3}}{{a_1}{\bullet}{a_2}x{a_3}}[/tex]

I replaced your formula for G by what you had in your 2nd post.
8614smith said:

Homework Statement

what is the dot product of [tex]G{\bullet}A[/tex] where A = [tex]\left(\frac{a_3}{l}-\frac{{a_1}}{h}\right)[/tex] and G = [tex]2{\pi}h{\frac{{a_2}x{a_3}}{{a_1}{\bullet}{a_2}x{a_ 3}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is zero and I've got the worked solution infront of me, i just done see where the [tex]\frac{{{a_3}}}{l}[/tex] goes, the dot product of a vector with itself is 1 isn't it? but then where does the denominator go? and what about the denominator of G?
No, the dot product of a vector is not 1 in general. u [itex]\cdot[/itex] v = |u| |v| cos([itex]\theta[\itex]).

Speaking of vectors, which are the vectors in your problem?

Related to Dot Product of G and A: Where Do the Denominators Go?

1. What is the dot product of G and A?

The dot product of G and A is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and summing up the products. It is also known as the scalar product or inner product.

2. How is the dot product of G and A calculated?

The dot product of G and A can be calculated by multiplying the first component of G with the first component of A, the second component of G with the second component of A, and so on. Then, the products are added together to get the final result.

3. What does a dot product of 0 mean?

A dot product of 0 means that the two vectors, G and A, are orthogonal or perpendicular to each other. This means that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees.

4. What are the properties of the dot product?

The dot product has the following properties:

• Commutative property: G · A = A · G
  • Distributive property: G · (A + B) = G · A + G · B
  • Scalar multiplication property: (kG) · A = k(G · A)
  • Zero vector property: G · 0 = 0

5. In what fields of science is the dot product of G and A commonly used?

The dot product of G and A is commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to calculate work, determine whether two vectors are perpendicular, and find projections of one vector onto another.