Dot Product, Derivative, and Vector Valued Functions

In summary, the dot product of vectors with their magnitudes is equal to the square of the derivative product of the vectors.
ourio

Homework Statement

Prove that, if [tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t) is a differentiable vector valued function, then so is ||[tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t)||, and [tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t) [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{r'}[/tex](t) = ||[tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t)|| ||[tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t)||'

Homework Equations

I know how to do a dot product, but what bothers me is the fact that the question involves the derivative of the magnitude of r. But the magnitude of a vector is a scalar, the derivative of which would be zero.

If it's a typo and really supposed to be the magnitude of the derivative, I'm still lost as to how to relate the dot product of the vectors with their magnitudes??

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the unit tangent vector involves r' and ||r'||, but I'm not sure that this helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
ourio said:

Homework Statement

Prove that, if [tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t) is a differentiable vector valued function, then so is ||[tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t)||, and [tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t) [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{r'}[/tex](t) = ||[tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t)|| ||[tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t)||'

Homework Equations

I know how to do a dot product, but what bothers me is the fact that the question involves the derivative of the magnitude of r. But the magnitude of a vector is a scalar, the derivative of which would be zero.
scalars can still be time dependent, and clearly have non-zero derivatives... the magnitude just represents the length of r, if the length is changing the derivative will be non-zero

ourio said:
If it's a typo and really supposed to be the magnitude of the derivative, I'm still lost as to how to relate the dot product of the vectors with their magnitudes??
[tex] |\vec{r}| = (\vec{r(t)} \bullet \vec{r(t)})^{1/2} [/tex]
ourio said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the unit tangent vector involves r' and ||r'||, but I'm not sure that this helps.

Okay, so if it really is the derivative of the magnitude, I can understand that. But, what does [tex]\
(\vec{r(t)} \bullet \vec{r'(t)})^{1/2}
[/tex] equal?

If you replace r with something like f(x)+g(x) and r' with f'(x)+g'(x) and do the dot product, you get [tex]\sqrt{f(x)f'(x)+g(x)g'(x)}[/tex]. But how would that help?

I'm still not clear...

how about starting wth
[tex] |\vec{r(t)}|^2 = |\vec{r}||\vec{r}|= (\vec{r(t)} \bullet \vec{r(t)}) [/tex]

if i rememebr correctly, the derivative product rulle works just as normal, but if you're unsure, try writing everything out in component form

[tex] \vec{r(t)} =(x(t), y(t), z(t))[/tex]

Thanks. I think I've got it now... it just took some time staring at the problem! Thanks again.

Related to Dot Product, Derivative, and Vector Valued Functions

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together.

2. How is the dot product useful?

The dot product is useful for calculating the angle between two vectors, determining whether two vectors are perpendicular or parallel, and finding the projection of one vector onto another. It is also used in physics for calculating work and energy.

3. What is the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is a measure of how the function changes with respect to its input. It represents the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the function's graph.

4. Why is the derivative important?

The derivative is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values at different points. It is also used in many applications, such as optimization problems, physics, and economics.

5. What are vector valued functions?

Vector valued functions are functions that take in one or more variables and output a vector instead of a scalar. They are commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to describe the path or trajectory of an object in motion.