Doppler effect with two moving objects including wind

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the question is asking about the observed frequency when an observer and a source are both moving, with a wind also present. The correct equation to use is f'=f(v±(vl-vw))/(v±(vs-vw)), and in this case, the velocity of the wind can be eliminated by analyzing the situation from a frame of reference moving with the wind. After solving for the numbers provided, the final observed frequency is calculated to be 1585 Hz. The second part of the question involves the source moving away from the observer, resulting in a decrease in frequency, and the correct equation for this scenario is f = [700-(68.1-53.1)]/[700+(
johnqwertyful

Homework Statement

An observer is moving to the right. A source is moving to the left. There is a wind moving to the right. What is the observed frequency?

I had a quiz and this came up. I'm not sure if I did it right.

Homework Equations

f'=f(v±(vl-vw))/(v±(vs-vw))

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to know if I add to the top, subtract from the bottom or the other way or what. I added to the bottom, subtracted from the top. Are you supposed to just add or subtract from the top and bottom? In class we said that if the two are stationary, wind doesn't make a bit of difference leading me to believe that you subtract or add from both bottom and top.

Any help? I've looked online and can't find an example with a moving source and observer and wind...

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can get rid of the wind by switching to a frame of reference moving with the wind. :wink:

TSny said:
Maybe you can get rid of the wind by switching to a frame of reference moving with the wind. :wink:

I should have said that the observer and wind aren't at the same velocity. Is that what you meant?

Imagine that you analyze the whole situation from a frame of reference moving with the wind. In that frame of reference, the wind velocity would be zero. How could you get the velocity of observer and the velocity of the source relative to this frame of reference?

TSny said:
Imagine that you analyze the whole situation from a frame of reference moving with the wind. In that frame of reference, the wind velocity would be zero. How could you get the velocity of observer and the velocity of the source relative to this frame of reference?

The numbers were v=700 mph vl=68.1 vs=94.8 vw=53.1 f=1224

I did it that way on the quiz I think.

I did (700+68.1-53.1)/(700-(94.8+53.1))*1224=1585 Hz at first, but then I thought it was too high or wrong or something. So I changed it to something else. I was right the first time. Damn.

The second part I got correct I think, after they pass. (700-68.1+53.1)/(700-94.8+53.1)*1224=1130. Right? I had the first one correct at first, but yeah. Darn second guessing yourself.

Oh well, I have over 100% homework grade so far, and got As on my other quizzes and he drops one. So I'm not too stressed out. I just wanted to know it to actually know it.

Thanks for the help, though!

johnqwertyful said:
The numbers were v=700 mph vl=68.1 vs=94.8 vw=53.1 f=1224

I did it that way on the quiz I think.

I did (700+68.1-53.1)/(700-(94.8+53.1))*1224=1585 Hz at first, ...

Yes, that would be the correct answer. In the frame of reference with no wind, the speed of the observer would be 68.1 - 53.1 and the speed of the source would be 94.8 +53.1.

The second part I got correct I think, after they pass. (700-68.1+53.1)/(700-94.8+53.1)*1224=1130. Right? I had the first one correct at first, but yeah. Darn second guessing yourself.

I think you need a plus instead of the red minus. The source is now moving away from the observer, so that would tend to decrease the frequency.

f = [700-(68.1-53.1)]/[700+(94.8+53.1)]*1224

Oh well, I have over 100% homework grade so far, and got As on my other quizzes and he drops one. So I'm not too stressed out. I just wanted to know it to actually know it.

Sounds like you're doing very well!

Related to Doppler effect with two moving objects including wind

What is the Doppler effect with two moving objects including wind?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source. When there are two moving objects, such as a source and a receiver, the Doppler effect is affected by the relative motion of both objects as well as any wind present.

How does wind affect the Doppler effect for two moving objects?

Wind can affect the Doppler effect by altering the speed and direction of the wave as it travels from the source to the receiver. This can cause a change in the observed frequency or wavelength of the wave, resulting in a different perceived sound or color.

What is the difference between the Doppler effect with two moving objects and the Doppler effect with only one moving object?

The Doppler effect with two moving objects takes into account the motion of both the source and the receiver, while the Doppler effect with one moving object only considers the motion of the source. This means that the effect can be more complex and variable when there are two moving objects involved.

How does the speed of the wind affect the Doppler effect for two moving objects?

The speed of the wind can impact the Doppler effect by changing the relative speed between the source and the receiver. A stronger wind can cause a greater difference in speed between the two objects, resulting in a larger change in frequency or wavelength.

Can the Doppler effect with two moving objects including wind be applied to any type of wave?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be observed in any type of wave, including sound, light, and water waves. The effect is a fundamental principle of wave behavior and can be seen in a variety of contexts, including everyday experiences like a passing ambulance siren or changing colors of a moving object.