Don't know to handle the (ωt) and (t) that appear in the integral

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving the integral of \int_{0}^{4} \sin(\omega t)\cdot t^2 using a substitution method. After defining a new variable x=ωt and using the substitution y= \omega t, the result is \frac{1}{\omega^3}\int_{0}^{0.00029}\sin x-(x^2-2)\cos x=211093. It is mentioned that the result may not be physically logical and further checking is needed.
Karol

Homework Statement

I have the integral:
[tex]\int_{0}^{4} \sin(\omega t)\cdot t^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know from integrals tables that:
[tex]\int x^2 \sin x=2x\sin x-(x^2-2)\cos x[/tex]
But i don't know to handle the (ωt) and (t) that appear in the integral

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

I have the integral:

Very simple: $$

\int_{0}^{4} \sin(\omega t)\cdot t^2 d \omega = t^2 \int_0^4 \sin (\omega t) d \omega

= t^2 \left[ \frac {-\cos (\omega t)} {t} \right]_0^4 = t (1 - \cos 4t)
$$

Sorry, i didn't mention it's not dω, but dt, the variant is the time, the ω is a constant

Hint: Write [itex] t^2= \frac{1}{\omega^2}(\omega t)^2 [/itex].

Karol said:
Sorry, i didn't mention it's not dω, but dt, the variant is the time, the ω is a constant

Do you see why it is important to append dx to the integrand? Without this, no one can be sure what variable is being integrated.

So, i use [itex] t^2= \frac{1}{\omega^2}(\omega t)^2 [/itex], and then i define a new variable x=ωt and then dx=ωdt, right?

That should work.

Simplest is to use the substitution [itex]y= \omega t[/itex] so that [itex]dy= \omega dt[/itex], [itex]dt= dy/omega[/itex] and [itex]t= y/\omega[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Result

The integral is:
I used:
[tex]t^2= \frac{1}{\omega^2}(\omega t)^2 [/tex]
Then x=ωt and then dx=ωdt.
ω=7.27E-5[rad/sec]
for t=o --> x=0
for t=4 --> x=ωx4[sec]=0.00029
[tex]\frac{1}{\omega^3}=\frac{1}{(7.27E-5)^3}=2.6E12[/tex]
From integrals tables:
[tex]\int x^2 \sin x=2x\sin x-(x^2-2)\cos x[/tex]
So:
[tex]\frac{1}{\omega^3}\int_{0}^{0.00029}\sin x-(x^2-2)\cos x=211093[/tex]
Can anyone check? the result isn't logical, physically

Related to Don't know to handle the (ωt) and (t) that appear in the integral

1. What is (ωt) and (t) in the integral?

(ωt) and (t) represent the angular frequency and time, respectively, in the integral. The angular frequency is a measure of how quickly the function oscillates or repeats itself, while time is the independent variable in the integral.

2. How do I handle (ωt) and (t) in the integral?

To handle (ωt) and (t) in the integral, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It ultimately depends on the specific integral and the function being integrated.

3. Why is it important to know how to handle (ωt) and (t) in the integral?

Understanding how to handle (ωt) and (t) in the integral is important in many areas of science and engineering, as these variables often appear in equations and models for physical phenomena. Being able to properly handle them allows for more accurate and efficient calculations and analysis.

4. Are there any common mistakes when handling (ωt) and (t) in the integral?

Yes, some common mistakes when handling (ωt) and (t) in the integral include forgetting to apply the chain rule, using incorrect substitution or integration by parts methods, and not paying attention to the limits of integration. It is important to double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can I use software or calculators to handle (ωt) and (t) in the integral?

Yes, there are many software and calculators available that can handle (ωt) and (t) in integrals. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of the methods used and to check the results for accuracy. Additionally, some integrals may be too complex for software or calculators to handle, so understanding the methods can help in these situations.