Domain's in polar co-ordinates.

• Thread starter frggr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the conversation is about converting to polar coordinates and finding the correct range for r and theta. The person is having trouble graphically and algebraically finding the range, with the inequalities being incorrect in both methods. The correct range for theta is 0 to pi/4, and the correct range for r is 1/cos(theta) to 2cos(theta).
frggr
Alright, so I'm having a problem converting to polar co-ordinates
Never been confused by polar before :(I'm trying to convert the domain of an integral to polar co-ordinates

The domain would be something like

D:{(x,y)| 1<x<2 , 0<y<(2x-x2) 1/2}

First I recognize that y=(2x-x2) 1/2 is the equation for a circle of radius shifted 1 unit to the right

so

y2 + (x-1)2 = 1

and it is the domain from x = 1 to x =2 (So the top right quadrant of the circle)

[PLAIN]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4919/graphua.png

Graphically I can deduce that since x = y = 1 at the peak, then cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = sqrt(2) :. [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

and it looks like r goes from 0 to 2cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] //Which I am told is wrong

This leads me to two questions:
1) How would I find r graphically here?
2) Is it possible to convert to polar algebraically?

I tried to convert the inequalities seperately but that led me to
D:{(r,[tex]\vartheta[/tex])| [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] < [tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 0, 0 < r < 2cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]}

//My method is below
0<y<(2x-x2)1/2
02 < y2 < 2x - x2
0 < y2 + x2 < 2x
0 < r2 < 2rcos[tex]\vartheta[\tex]
0/r < r < 2cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

1 < x < 2
1 < rcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 2
r has a maximum value of 2cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]
1 < 2 cos2[tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 2
1/2 < cos2[tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 1
1/sqrt(2) < cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 1
[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] < [tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
frggr said:
Alright, so I'm having a problem converting to polar co-ordinates
Never been confused by polar before :(

I'm trying to convert the domain of an integral to polar co-ordinates

The domain would be something like

D:{(x,y)| 1<x<2 , 0<y<(2x-x2) 1/2}

First I recognize that y=(2x-x2) 1/2 is the equation for a circle of radius shifted 1 unit to the right

so

y2 + (x-1)2 = 1

and it is the domain from x = 1 to x =2 (So the top right quadrant of the circle)

[PLAIN]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4919/graphua.png

Graphically I can deduce that since x = y = 1 at the peak, then cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = sqrt(2) :. [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

and it looks like r goes from 0 to 2cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] //Which I am told is wrong

This leads me to two questions:
1) How would I find r graphically here?
2) Is it possible to convert to polar algebraically?

I tried to convert the inequalities seperately but that led me to
D:{(r,[tex]\vartheta[/tex])| [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] < [tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 0, 0 < r < 2cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]}

//My method is below
0<y<(2x-x2)1/2
02 < y2 < 2x - x2
0 < y2 + x2 < 2x
0 < r2 < 2rcos[tex]\vartheta[\tex]
0/r < r < 2cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

1 < x < 2
1 < rcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 2
r has a maximum value of 2cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]
1 < 2 cos2[tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 2
1/2 < cos2[tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 1
1/sqrt(2) < cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 1
[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] < [tex]\vartheta[/tex] < 0

Your last inequality is wrong - theta is between 0 and pi/4, but your inequalilty says that pi/4 < 0.
The range for theta should be
[tex]0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, that's one of the problems. The inequalities didn't switch when I tried to do it algebraicaly :. I'm doing something wrong. The first inequality wrong as well. it should be
[tex]\frac{1}{cos \theta} \leq r \leq 2cos \theta [/tex]

Yes, you are doing something wrong. Look at the graph of y = cos(theta) on the interval [0, pi/2]. The function is decreasing on this interval, so if the y values are 1/sqrt(2) < cos(theta) < 1, the theta values will be in the opposite order. I.e., 0 < theta < pi/4.

Related to Domain's in polar co-ordinates.

What are the coordinates used in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the coordinates used are the distance from the origin (r) and the angle from the positive x-axis (θ).

What is the domain of polar coordinates?

The domain of polar coordinates is all real numbers for the angle (θ) and all non-negative real numbers for the distance (r).

Why are polar coordinates used?

Polar coordinates are used because they provide a more intuitive way of describing the position of a point in a two-dimensional space compared to Cartesian coordinates.

What is the relationship between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates can be converted to Cartesian coordinates using the formulas x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). Conversely, Cartesian coordinates can be converted to polar coordinates using the formulas r = √(x^2+y^2) and θ = tan^-1(y/x).

What are some common applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation to describe circular or rotational motion, as well as in polar graphs and coordinate systems.