Domain of y = x\sqrt{1-x^2}: -1 ≤ x ≤ 1

In summary, the domain of the function y = x√(1-x^2) is -1 ≤ x ≤ 1. To determine the domain, restrictions on the input values such as non-negativity and the inequality 1-x^2 ≥ 0 must be considered. The function cannot be defined for values of x outside of the domain. If x = 1 or x = -1, the function becomes y = 0. The domain of the function is continuous as it consists of all real numbers between -1 and 1.
shamieh
state the domain

\(\displaystyle y = x\sqrt{1 - x^2}\)

so

\(\displaystyle 1 - x^2 >= 0\)
\(\displaystyle -x^2 >= -1\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 <= 1\)

\(\displaystyle d = {x <= (+)(-) 1}\) or should I say \(\displaystyle d = {-1, 1}\)

which one is correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have moved this topic here to our Pre-Calculus subforum as questions on function domains does not involve the calculus. I suspect that this question is part of a calculus question though, or may even come from a calculus textbook, but when choosing the subforum in which to post, the nature of the question itself, rather than from where it originates should be considered firstly.

You are correct in stating:

\(\displaystyle 1-x^2\ge0\)

What I would suggest doing next is factoring the left side:

\(\displaystyle (1+x)(1-x)\ge0\)

Now, determine the critical values, plot them on a number line and test the 3 resulting intervals.

A quicker method would be to plot the expression (the original radicand), and observe where it is non-negative.

What do you find?

Hello, shamieh!

State the domain: .[tex]y \:=\: x\sqrt{1 - x^2}[/tex]

So: .[tex]1 - x^2 \:\ge\:0[/tex]
. . . . . [tex]-x^2 \:\ge\:-1[/tex]
. . . . . . .[tex]x^2\:\le\:1[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{cc}\text{I would write:} & |x| \:\le\:1 \\ & \text{or} \\ & \text{-}1 \:\le\:x\:\le\:1 \\ & \text{or} \\ & [\text{-}1,\,1]\end{array}[/tex]

shamieh said:
state the domain

\(\displaystyle y = x\sqrt{1 - x^2}\)

so

\(\displaystyle 1 - x^2 >= 0\)
\(\displaystyle -x^2 >= -1\)
\(\displaystyle x^2 <= 1\)

\(\displaystyle d = {x <= (+)(-) 1}\) or should I say \(\displaystyle d = {-1, 1}\)

which one is correct?
NOT \(\displaystyle \{-1, 1\}\) because that means the numbers -1 and 1 only, not the numbers between. You could say \(\displaystyle \{x| -1\le x\le 1\}\) or [-1, 1] as MarkFL said.

("math" uses the "{" and "}" and as separators itself. To get "{" or "}" in the actual message, use "\{" and "\}".)

A naive approach:

We know that there's "something special" about the points $x = -1, x = 1$. So let's do this:

We'll split the real number line into 5 parts:

Part 1: all numbers less than -1
Part 2: -1
Part 3: all numbers between -1 and 1
Part 4: 1
Part 5: all numbers greater than 1.

Now let's pick numbers in each part, to see what happens:

The 5 real numbers I will use are:

Part 1: -4
Part 2: -1 (no choice, here)
Part 3: 1/2
Part 4: 1 (again, no other choice)
Part 5: 6

Now we will look at $f(x_0)$ for $x_0$ being each one of these 5 numbers:

$f(-4) = 4\sqrt{1 - (-4)^2} = 4\sqrt{-15} = \text{bad}$ (undefined)
$f(-1) = (-1)\sqrt{1 - (-1)^2} = (-1)\sqrt{1 - 1} = (-1)\sqrt{0} = (-1)(0) = 0$ (OK!)
$f(\frac{1}{2}) = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{1 - (\frac{1}{2})^2} = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{3}{4}} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}$ (OK!)
$f(1) = (1)\sqrt{1 - 1^2} = (1)(0) = 0$ (OK again!)
$f(6) = 6\sqrt{1 - 6^2} = 6\sqrt{-35} = ?$ (not so good).

So it looks as if what we want is parts 2,3, and 4, and NOT parts 1 and 5. This is:

$\{-1\} \cup (-1,1) \cup \{1\} = [-1,1]$

If you prefer, you can write this as:

$\text{dom}(f) = \{x \in \Bbb R: |x| \leq 1\}$

the absolute value of $x$, written $|x|$ is just another way of saying:

$\sqrt{x^2}$, if one understand square roots as always being non-negative. So if:

$x^2 \leq 1$, then

$\sqrt{x^2} \leq \sqrt{1} = 1$

so:

$|x| \leq 1$.

Related to Domain of y = x\sqrt{1-x^2}: -1 ≤ x ≤ 1

1. What is the domain of the function y = x\sqrt{1-x^2}?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. In this case, the function is defined for all values of x between -1 and 1, inclusive. Therefore, the domain is -1 ≤ x ≤ 1.

2. How do you determine the domain of a function?

To determine the domain of a function, you need to look at the restrictions on the input values. In this case, the function has a square root, so the input must be non-negative. Additionally, the expression inside the square root cannot be negative, so 1-x^2 ≥ 0. Solving this inequality gives us -1 ≤ x ≤ 1 as the domain.

3. Can the function y = x\sqrt{1-x^2} be defined for values of x outside the domain?

No, the function is only defined for values of x between -1 and 1, inclusive. Trying to evaluate the function for values outside of this domain would result in an undefined answer.

4. What happens to the function if the value of x is equal to 1 or -1?

If x = 1 or x = -1, then the expression 1-x^2 becomes 0, and the function becomes y = 0. This means that the function has a horizontal line at y = 0 for values of x equal to 1 or -1.

5. Is the domain of the function y = x\sqrt{1-x^2} continuous?

Yes, the domain of the function is continuous as it consists of all real numbers between -1 and 1, without any gaps or breaks.