Domain of Function Involving Roots

In summary, the domain of the function s = cube root of (3t + 12) is all real numbers, as well as the functions K(x) = cube root of (2x^2 + x - 6) and z = fifth root of (5(x - 4)(5 - x)(x + 1)). However, for the function z = sixth root of (5(x - 4)(5 - x)(x + 1)), the radicand must be greater than or equal to 0 due to the even index.
mathdad
Section 3.1
Question 2dFind the domain of the function.

Let CR = CUBE ROOT

s = CR{3t + 12}

Because it is a cube root, I say the domain is ALL REAL NUMBERS.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Domain of Function...2

Set 3.1
Question 6d

Let CR = cube root

K(x) = CR{2x^2 + x - 6}.

Last edited:
Domain of Function...3

Set 3.1
Question 10b

Let FR = fifth root

z = FR{5(x - 4)(5 - x)(x + 1)}

Because the index is an odd number, the domain is ALL REAL NUMBERS.

Last edited:
Domain of Function...4

Set 3.1
Question 10d

Let SR = sixth root

z = SR{5(x - 4)(5 - x)(x + 1)}

Because the index is an even number, I must set the radicand to be > or = 0.

5(x - 4)(5 - x)(x + 1) ≥ 0

Is this correct so far?

Last edited:
Re: Domain of Function...1

RTCNTC said:
Section 3.1
Question 2dFind the domain of the function.

Let CR = CUBE ROOT

s = CR{3t + 12}

Do I set 3t + 12 to be > or = 0? I don't recall if this applies to cube roots.

you can take cube root of -ve nuimbers also so $ - \infty <3t+12 < \infty$ or $ - \infty < t < \infty$

What is the cube root of, say, -8? What does the answer to this question tell you about the cube root function?

Re: Domain of Function...4

$$x^6=(x^2)^3$$

What can you conclude from the above? In general, what about odd powers? What about even powers?

Re: Domain of Function...2

RTCNTC said:
Set 3.1
Question 6d

Let CR = cube root

K(x) = CR{2x^2 + x - 6}.

Must I set the radicand to be > or = 0?

No.

Re: Domain of Function...3

RTCNTC said:
Set 3.1
Question 10b

Let FR = fifth root

Must I set the radicand to be > or = 0?

No.

Re: Domain of Function...3

Consider the distinction between even roots (square roots, fourth roots, etc.) and odd roots (cube root, fourth root, etc.)

I've merged the four threads pertaining to the domain of a function into one thread to facilitate a more focused discussion.

greg1313 said:
What is the cube root of, say, -8? What does the answer to this question tell you about the cube root function?

The cube root of -8 is -2.

- - - Updated - - -

greg1313 said:
I've merged the four threads pertaining to the domain of a function into one thread to facilitate a more focused discussion.

That's perfectly ok. I made a mistake and posted all domain of a function questions in the Pre-University Math forum. Obviously, all my questions come from David Cohen's precalculus textbook.

I found the following rules online:

f(x) = nthroot{x}

If n is even, x must be > or = 0.

Thus, f(x) is also > or = 0.

If n is odd, x can be any real number.

Thus, f(x) is also any real number.

Can I apply the above rules to my domain questions?

RTCNTC said:
...I made a mistake and posted all domain of a function questions in the Pre-University Math forum. Obviously, all my questions come from David Cohen's precalculus textbook.

Even though Pre-Calculus is taught in universities, it's really considered a remedial course at that level, and so that's why we classify it as a Pre-University level course. :D

Re: Domain of Function...4

kaliprasad said:
you can take cube root of -ve nuimbers also so $ - \infty <3t+12 < \infty$ or $ - \infty < t < \infty$

Sorry but I do not understand your reply.

MarkFL said:
Even though Pre-Calculus is taught in universities, it's really considered a remedial course at that level, and so that's why we classify it as a Pre-University level course. :D

You are right. In fact, Calculus 1 is considered to be the first math course for people majoring in math in most CUNY colleges. When I took precalculus at Lehman College, the professor made it clear that the material in precalculus courses is taught in 11th or 12th grade in most public high schools.

Mark,

f(x) = nthroot{x}

RTCNTC said:
...Mark,

f(x) = nthroot{x}

As long as the radical is not a factor in a denominator (in that case the radicand cannot be zero), then yes that rule can be applied for domain questions. It comes from the fact that an even power of a negative value will be positive, while an odd power of a negative value will be negative.

MarkFL said:
As long as the radical is not a factor in a denominator (in that case the radicand cannot be zero), then yes that rule can be applied for domain questions. It comes from the fact that an even power of a negative value will be positive, while an odd power of a negative value will be negative.
Section 3.1
Question 2d

Find the domain of the function.

Let CR = CUBE ROOT

s = CR{3t + 12}

Set 3.1
Question 6d

Let CR = cube root

K(x) = CR{2x^2 + x - 6}.

Set 3.1
Question 10b

Let FR = fifth root

Because the index is an odd number, the domain is ALL REAL NUMBERS.

Set 3.1
Question 10d

Let SR = sixth root

z = SR{5(x - 4)(5 - x)(x + 1)}

Because the index is an even number, I must set the radicand to be > or = 0.

5(x - 4)(5 - x)(x + 1) ≥ 0

Is this correct so far?

Related to Domain of Function Involving Roots

1. What is a domain of function involving roots?

A domain of function involving roots refers to the set of all possible input values for a function that contains a root, or a value that, when raised to a certain power, equals the output of the function. This set of input values is also known as the independent variable.

2. How do you find the domain of a function involving roots?

To find the domain of a function involving roots, you must consider any restrictions on the input values. This includes values that would result in division by zero or taking the root of a negative number. Additionally, you must consider the type of root being used, such as square roots or cube roots, as this can affect the domain.

3. Can the domain of a function involving roots be negative?

Yes, the domain of a function involving roots can include negative values. This is because the input values of a function can be negative, and the root operation will still produce a valid result. However, the domain may be limited by other restrictions, as mentioned in the previous answer.

4. How does the domain of a function involving roots affect the graph of the function?

The domain of a function involving roots can affect the shape and range of the graph. For example, if the domain is restricted to positive values only, the graph will only exist in the positive portion of the coordinate plane. Additionally, the domain can affect the number of roots and their placement on the graph.

5. How does the domain of a function involving roots relate to the range?

The domain and range are closely related in a function involving roots. The domain represents the set of input values, while the range represents the set of output values. The domain can determine the range by limiting the possible output values based on the restrictions and operations within the function.