Domain and range of functions of 2 variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the domain and range of functions with 2 variables. The speaker is confused about the definition and method for finding the domain and range, but the expert explains that the domain is all possible x-values for which the function can be calculated, while the range is all possible y-values for those x-values. The given example function, h(x,y) = 1500 - 3x^2-5y^2, has a domain of all pairs of real numbers (x,y) and a range of all real numbers equal to or less than 1500.
rolls
I'm doing some exam revision and there's a few questions on finding the domain and range of functions of 2 variables.

With a function of 1 variable I know that the domain and range is just finding the max and min x value, and the max and min y value.

With a function of 2 variables I am confused however, what exactly does it mean to find the domain and range, and what is the method for doing so. Eg this question.

h(x,y) = 1500 - 3x^2-5y^2

Domain = all real numbers in x,y
Range = (-oo,1500)

However I do not know the process for finding this out, mainly as I am confused to the definition of what range and domain actually is.

Can someone help me out here? More with what domain and range mean, I'm sure the question is easy once I know this.

Physics news on Phys.org
rolls said:
I'm doing some exam revision and there's a few questions on finding the domain and range of functions of 2 variables.

With a function of 1 variable I know that the domain and range is just finding the max and min x value, and the max and min y value.
No, you don't know that- or shouldn't. The domain of a function is either given explicitely or is assumed to be all x-values for which the formula defining the function can be calculated. For example, f(x)=2+ 1/(x-1) can be calculated for all x except 1- we can't divide by 0- so the domain is "all real numbers except 1". That has nothing to do with "max and min x values". The range of a function is the set of all possible y values for those x values. Again, that has nothing to do with "max and min y values". In the case above, y= f(x)= 2+ 1/(x-1), y has no max or min value- it can be arbitrarily high or arbitrarily low- but it cannot be 2 because a fraction is 0 only if the numerator is 0. The numerator of 1/(x-1) is never 0 so 1/(x-1) is never 0 and 2+ 1/(x-1) is never 2. The range is "all real numbers except 2.

With a function of 2 variables I am confused however, what exactly does it mean to find the domain and range, and what is the method for doing so. Eg this question.

h(x,y) = 1500 - 3x^2-5y^2

Domain = all real numbers in x,y
Range = (-oo,1500)

However I do not know the process for finding this out, mainly as I am confused to the definition of what range and domain actually is.

Can someone help me out here? More with what domain and range mean, I'm sure the question is easy once I know this.
And I feel sure your textbook has the definitions in it! In this particular case, we can square any number, multiply any number by 3 or 5, and subtract any number from 1500. The domain is all of R x R or all pairs of real numbers (x, y).

Because a square is never negative, -3x2- 5y2 is never positive so we can never get a value larger than 1500. The range is all real numbers equal to or less than 1500. Using standard notation, the range is NOT (-oo, 1500) as you have, it is (-oo, 1500], "]" meaning that the endpoint, 1500 is included in the set.

Ah fantastic, thank you for the informative reply. So the domain is the range of values that give you a real answer eg 0/0 is not an answer, and the range is the range of all possible outputs.

I would check my textbook, but I do not own it. Thank you :)

Related to Domain and range of functions of 2 variables

What is the definition of domain and range of functions of 2 variables?

The domain of a function of 2 variables is the set of all possible input values for the independent variables. The range is the set of all possible output values for the dependent variable.

How do you determine the domain and range of a function of 2 variables?

To determine the domain of a function of 2 variables, you need to look at the restrictions on the independent variables. The range can be found by looking at the values of the dependent variable as the independent variables change.

What are the different types of domains and ranges for functions of 2 variables?

There are several types of domains and ranges for functions of 2 variables, including closed intervals, open intervals, half-open intervals, and infinite intervals. The range can also include multiple intervals or a set of discrete values.

Can a function of 2 variables have an empty domain or range?

Yes, it is possible for a function of 2 variables to have an empty domain or range. This may occur when there are restrictions on the independent variables that result in no possible input values or when the function has a constant output value.

Why is it important to understand the domain and range of functions of 2 variables?

Understanding the domain and range of a function of 2 variables is essential for accurately interpreting and analyzing the behavior of the function. It also helps in identifying any potential errors or limitations in the data or calculations.