Does Using Maximum Coefficients Determine the Smallest Radius of Convergence?

In summary, the convergence radius of the series Ʃdnx^n, where dn=max(lanl,lcnl), is D=min(A,B). The idea is to use the fact that the series Ʃ(lanl+lbnl)x^n has a convergence radius of at least min(A,B) and that lanl+lbnl≥dn. It is important to be rigorous in this proof.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

Let Ʃanx^n and Ʃbnx^n be two power series and let A and B be their converging radii. define dn=max(lanl,lcnl) and consider the series Ʃdnx^n. Show that the convergence radius of this series D, is D=min(A,B)

Homework Equations

My idea is to use that the series Ʃ(lanl+lbnl)x^n has convergence radius min(A,B) and use that lanl+lbnl≥dn. Do you agree that this is a good idea from a rigorous perspective? Last assigment I really got punished for not being rigorous enough, so I want to make sure this time, that I do it properly.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:

Homework Statement

Let Ʃanx^n and Ʃbnx^n be two power series and let A and B be their converging radii. define dn=max(lanl,lcnl) and consider the series Ʃdnx^n. Show that the convergence radius of this series D, is D=min(A,B)

Homework Equations

My idea is to use that the series Ʃ(lanl+lbnl)x^n has convergence radius min(A,B) and use that lanl+lbnl≥dn. Do you agree that this is a good idea from a rigorous perspective? Last assigment I really got punished for not being rigorous enough, so I want to make sure this time, that I do it properly.

That will show the radius of convergence of ##\sum d_n## is at least min(A,B). You would still have to show it isn't greater than that.

Related to Does Using Maximum Coefficients Determine the Smallest Radius of Convergence?

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical representation of a function, where the coefficients of the function's terms are raised to increasing powers of a variable. It is an infinite sum of terms that becomes more accurate as more terms are added.

2. How can I determine if a power series converges?

To determine if a power series converges, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, and the comparison test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the terms in the series and determine if they approach a finite value or not.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

A power series is said to converge absolutely if the sum of the absolute values of its terms is a finite number. On the other hand, conditional convergence occurs when the series converges, but the sum of the absolute values of its terms is infinite.

4. Can a power series diverge?

Yes, a power series can diverge if its terms do not approach a finite value. This can happen when the terms of the series do not decrease in magnitude or increase without bound.

5. How can power series be used in real-world applications?

Power series can be used to approximate functions, such as trigonometric functions, that are difficult to evaluate directly. They can also be used in physics and engineering to model physical phenomena and make predictions about their behavior.