Does Thinking Make You Smarter ?

• Thread starter GladScientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary: I've heard it before, I think from a teacher, that sitting still and doing nothing is better for your brain than watching television. Because the person doing nothing will at least be using their mind a bit, while the person watching TV is mindlessly receiving entertainment. If this is true, then shouldn't actively using video games instead of watching television be better for your brain?It's hard to say. Some people may find it more stimulating to watch television, while others may find it more stimulating to play video games. From a brain power standpoint, it's difficult to say which is better.
GladScientist
Does Thinking Make You "Smarter"?

I've always had an unspoken, unverified assumption that playing any game that uses a lot of mental power will make one "smarter."

How do I define smart? As basically anything that improves brain function.

I guess my question is: does the brain work like a muscle? Does constant critical thinking "work out" one's brain?

Would playing a strategy game (whether it's chess or Starcraft II) help one's mental processes?

Thanks in advance for the answers. Also I'm not sure if this thread belongs in general discussion, or one of the more technical scientific sections of the forums...

Physics news on Phys.org

Playing a game can possibly improve certain skills, but it won't make you "smarter' as in gaining more academic knowledge. Skills do not equal intelligence.

As Evo said; Playing certain games, like chess and strategy games, may improve analytical skills I guess. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that playing games would make you "smarter".

Evo said:
Playing a game can possibly improve certain skills, but it won't make you "smarter' as in gaining more academic knowledge. Skills do not equal intelligence.

In my opinion, skills are much closer to intelligence than knowledge is. I would never define smart as having a lot of knowledge, but rather having better "brain power," whatever that means.

I'm not sure playing SC2 will make you smarter, but I can say that most of my fellow mathematics classmates seemed "smarter" after slogging over proofs for so many years, not just in terms of a knowledge of math, but more like, an understanding of how to logically approach a problem and assess what courses of action to take.

SC2 can teach you better "on the fly" decision making, better prediction of human behavior, and it can probably improve manual dexterity though.

GladScientist said:
In my opinion, skills are much closer to intelligence than knowledge is. I would never define smart as having a lot of knowledge, but rather having better "brain power," whatever that means.

I'm pretty sure that everyone agrees that intelligence is a very broad concept. There are different "ways" to be intelligent.

I wouldn't assume using your brain more makes you 'smarter'. However, if this leads you to consistently have a more efficient thinking process which allows for more effective problem solving then it might be ok to say you've become 'smarter'

SHISHKABOB said:
I'm pretty sure that everyone agrees that intelligence is a very broad concept. There are different "ways" to be intelligent.

For the sake of this thread, I'm basically using the word "smart" to mean any of many possible definitions.

GladScientist said:
I've always had an unspoken, unverified assumption that playing any game that uses a lot of mental power will make one "smarter."

I guess my question is: does the brain work like a muscle? Does constant critical thinking "work out" one's brain?

Would playing a strategy game (whether it's chess or Starcraft II) help one's mental processes?

Thanks in advance for the answers. Also I'm not sure if this thread belongs in general discussion, or one of the more technical scientific sections of the forums...
Chess memory was thus shown to be even more specific than it had seemed, being tuned not merely to the game itself but to typical chess positions. These experiments corroborated earlier studies that had demonstrated convincingly that ability in one area tends not to transfer to another. American psychologist Edward Thorndike first noted this lack of transference over a century ago, when he showed that the study of Latin, for instance, did not improve command of English and that geometric proofs do not teach the use of logic in daily life.
http://wimse.fsu.edu/media/expert-mind.pdf p.68

Last edited:

GladScientist said:
For the sake of this thread, I'm basically using the word "smart" to mean any of many possible definitions.
Actually that would make the topic impossible to discuss. What would be "smart" in the context of playing games? Hand to eye coordination? Being more aggressive? Taking more risks?

That is a ridiculous assumption. Playing a game does one thing, it makes you good a playing a game.

Being "smart" is really just having a large collection of skills. If you do a lot of math, you'll get very good at math, but you'll know nothing more about politics or philosophy or how to choose a good car.

Obviously some clarification is needed...

Suppose that neither person A nor person B know anything about math. Person A spends 10 years killing hookers in Grand Theft Auto wile person B spends 10 years playing chess.

Would person A have a harder time learning math?

I've heard it before, I think from a teacher, that sitting still and doing nothing is better for your brain than watching television. Because the person doing nothing will at least be using their mind a bit, while the person watching TV is mindlessly receiving entertainment. If this is true, then shouldn't actively using your mind constantly have an effect greater than that of doing nothing, or of doing some mindless activity?

GladScientist said:
Obviously some clarification is needed...

Suppose that neither person A nor person B know anything about math. Person A spends 10 years killing hookers in Grand Theft Auto wile person B spends 10 years playing chess.

Would person A have a harder time learning math?

I've heard it before, I think from a teacher, that sitting still and doing nothing is better for your brain than watching television. Because the person doing nothing will at least be using their mind a bit, while the person watching TV is mindlessly receiving entertainment. If this is true, then shouldn't actively using your mind constantly have an effect greater than that of doing nothing, or of doing some mindless activity?
Chess memory was thus shown to be even more specific than it had seemed, being tuned not merely to the game itself but to typical chess positions. These experiments corroborated earlier studies that had demonstrated convincingly that ability in one area tends not to transfer to another. American psychologist Edward Thorndike first noted this lack of transference over a century ago, when he showed that the study of Latin, for instance, did not improve command of English and that geometric proofs do not teach the use of logic in daily life.
http://wimse.fsu.edu/media/expert-mind.pdf p.68

Zooby I'm not ignoring your post haha, it seems like a solid answer to my question. I'd just like to receive more input.

GladScientist said:

Your definition of smart is vague. You need to define function.

GladScientist said:
Skills, smarts, intelligence, all are greatly improved when a person is calm and relaxed. Stress, especially extended stress, makes people stupid and greatly dulls memory functions. Severe extended stress alone can cause hippocampal sclerosis. (The hippocampus is the part of the brain most responsible for memory.) I would say the single best thing a person can do to enhance raw "brain power" would be to practice some kind of relaxation technique.

Evo said:
Very interesting find zoob.
SelfAdjoint actually first posted that article in 2006 and it stuck with me.

Related to Does Thinking Make You Smarter ?

1. Does thinking more frequently make you smarter?

No, thinking more frequently does not necessarily make you smarter. It is the quality and depth of thinking that can lead to improved cognitive abilities and intelligence.

2. Can you improve your intelligence through thinking?

While intelligence is largely determined by genetics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills can be developed and improved through practice and intentional thinking.

3. How does thinking affect the brain?

Thinking stimulates the brain and can lead to the formation of new neural connections and pathways, which can enhance cognitive function and improve memory and learning abilities.

4. Is there a limit to how much thinking the brain can handle?

There is no definitive limit to how much the brain can think, but like any muscle, it can become fatigued with excessive use. Taking breaks and engaging in activities that relax the mind can help prevent mental exhaustion.

5. Can thinking too much have negative effects?

While thinking can be beneficial for the brain, excessive rumination and overthinking can lead to anxiety, stress, and decreased productivity. Finding a balance between thinking and taking action is important for maintaining a healthy mind.