Does the valance shell determine overall electron charge distribution?

In summary, the configuration of the potassium atom in its ground state is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1, and the outmost electron shell, 4s, determines the overall electron charge distribution of the atom. This charge distribution is spherically symmetrical due to the wave functions describing the electrons and the fully occupied inner shells acting as a spherical spatial extension of the nuclear charge.
Vannay
I'm going over the Physics GRE and this question has me a little confused. The configuration of the potassium atom in its ground state is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1.

The answer to which of the following is true is this statement: "Its electron charge distribution is spherically symmetrical."

Is it true that the valance shell, in this case 4s, determines the overall electron charge distribution of the atom? It's my understanding that the p, d, and f shapes are not spherically symmetric so this is the only explanation I have but it does not immediately make sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am no expert on the subject. However the electrons are described by wave functions and are not in fixed positions, only fixed levels. From a geometric point of view they are symmetric.

The charge distribution is given by the outmost electron shell, because one can think of the fully occupied inner shells as a spherical spatial extension of the nuclear charge. So yes, the 19th electron of the K atom is in the 4s energy level, and 4s charge/probability clouds look like this: spherical

http://www.meta-synthesis.com/webbook/34_qn/qn_to_pt.html

Likes Vannay

Related to Does the valance shell determine overall electron charge distribution?

1. What is the valence shell and how does it affect electron charge distribution?

The valence shell is the outermost shell of an atom that contains valence electrons. These electrons are involved in chemical bonding and determine the overall electron charge distribution of an atom. The number of valence electrons in an atom can determine its reactivity and chemical properties.

2. Does the number of valence electrons always determine the overall electron charge distribution?

No, the number of valence electrons is just one factor that can influence the overall electron charge distribution. Other factors such as atomic structure, the presence of multiple electron shells, and electron sharing in covalent bonds can also play a role.

3. How does the electron charge distribution change when an atom forms a chemical bond?

When an atom forms a chemical bond, its valence electrons can be shared, gained, or lost to achieve a more stable electron configuration. This can result in a change in the overall electron charge distribution of the atom, as well as the formation of a new compound with different properties.

4. Can the valence shell be used to predict the chemical properties of an element?

Yes, the number of valence electrons can give insight into an element's reactivity and ability to form chemical bonds. Elements with similar numbers of valence electrons tend to have similar chemical properties.

5. How does the concept of electronegativity relate to the valence shell and electron charge distribution?

Electronegativity is a measure of an atom's ability to attract electrons in a chemical bond. The number of valence electrons and their distribution in the valence shell can influence an atom's electronegativity, as well as the overall electron charge distribution in a molecule. Atoms with a higher electronegativity tend to have a stronger pull on shared electrons, resulting in a polar covalent bond.