Does the Subscript x=0 Indicate a Zero x-Component in Vector Notation?

In summary, the question is asking if the notation with the subscript x = 0 means that the x-component of the vector is always 0. The answer is that it does not necessarily mean that the x-component is always 0, but rather that it is equal to the equation when x = 0. The speaker is not completely certain and hopes for other members to provide their input.
Bizkit
I have a quick question to ask you guys. In the first problem found http://whites.sdsmt.edu/classes/ee382/homework/382Homework4.pdf" , does the vertical line with the subscript x = 0 mean that the x-component of the vector is always 0? If so, then I could just remove the x-component from the vector so it would become [tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1} = \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{y}\beta + \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{z}\gamma[/tex] right? I know this is a really simple question, but since I haven't seen this notation used in a while, I wanted to make sure I knew what it meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
no i don't think so .. it means that equation is equal to the one written when x=0 (at a point x=0) , you can't say that the x-component is zero! If that component for example equal a constant not including x ifself or any combination of other variables , does that necessary lead to a zero of the x-component? ..

Im not going to say I am 100% sure, but that what I think .. I hope that other members reply and comment on that part ..

Related to Does the Subscript x=0 Indicate a Zero x-Component in Vector Notation?

1. What is vector notation?

Vector notation is a mathematical representation of a vector, which is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It typically involves using bold letters or arrows to represent a vector, such as v or →v.

2. How is vector notation used in science?

Vector notation is used in science to describe quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. It allows for precise and concise mathematical representations of these quantities, making it easier to analyze and solve problems involving vectors.

3. What are the basic components of vector notation?

The basic components of vector notation include the magnitude and direction of a vector. The magnitude is represented by the length of the vector, while the direction is represented by the angle of the vector with respect to a reference point.

4. How is vector notation different from scalar notation?

Vector notation and scalar notation are different in that vector notation represents quantities with both magnitude and direction, while scalar notation represents quantities with only magnitude. Scalar quantities are typically represented with regular letters, such as m for mass, while vector quantities are represented with bold letters or arrows, such as F for force or →v for velocity.

5. Can vector notation be used to represent physical quantities other than force and velocity?

Yes, vector notation can be used to represent a variety of physical quantities, such as displacement, acceleration, and momentum. Any quantity that has both magnitude and direction can be represented using vector notation.