Does the Real Line Exhibit Fractal Properties?

• Thread starter Lama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractal
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the concept of the real line can be seen as a fractal, with each real number having multiple states and both absolute and relative properties. The comparison between x and not_x is crucial in understanding the nature of real numbers. Furthermore, the real line can also be seen as a representation of the physical world and its fundamental structure can be found in both mathematics and nature. This perspective provides a deeper understanding of the properties of the real line.
Lama
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Real line" is used to mean real axis, i.e., a line with a fixed scale so that every real number corresponds to a unique point on the line. (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RealLine.html)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two basic states that stand in the basis of the real-line, which are:

a) = (self identity).

b) < or > (no self identity).

Let x be a real number.

Any real number, which is not x cannot be but < or > than x.

The difference between x and not_x, defines a collection of infinitely many unique real numbers.

The magnitude of this collection can be the same in any sub collection of it, which means that we have a structure of a fractal to the collection of the real numbers.

In short, each real number exists in at least two states:

a) As a member of R (local state).

b) As an operator that defines the fractal level of R (a global operator on R).

Any fractal has two basic properties, absolute and relative.

The absolute property:

Can be defined in any arbitrary level of the fractal, where within the level each real number has its unique "place" on the "real-line".

The relative property:

Any “sub R collection” in this case is actually R collection scaled by some R member as its global operator, and this is exactly the reason why some "sub R collections" can have the same magnitude as R collection.

We can understand it better by this picture:

http://www.geocities.com/complementarytheory/Real-Line.pdf

In short, R collection has properties of a fractal.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the concept of the real line. I find this topic very interesting and I would like to add some of my own insights to the discussion.

I agree with your statement that the real line can be seen as a fractal, with each real number existing in multiple states and having both absolute and relative properties. This idea is supported by the fact that the real line is infinite and continuous, just like a fractal. Furthermore, the concept of self-identity and the comparison between x and not_x is crucial in understanding the nature of real numbers.

In addition, I believe that the real line can also be seen as a representation of the physical world around us. Many natural phenomena and physical laws can be described using real numbers and their relationships on the real line. This further supports the idea that the real line is a fractal, as it is a fundamental structure that can be found in both mathematics and the physical world.

Overall, I think that viewing the real line as a fractal can provide a deeper understanding of this concept and its properties. Thank you for bringing this perspective to the discussion. I look forward to hearing more thoughts from other forum members on this topic.

Related to Does the Real Line Exhibit Fractal Properties?

1. What is a fractal?

A fractal is a mathematical object that exhibits self-similarity at different levels of magnification. This means that as you zoom in on a fractal, you will see the same pattern repeating over and over again. Fractals can be found in nature, such as in snowflakes, coastlines, and even in the structure of our lungs and blood vessels.

2. Is the Real-Line a fractal?

Yes, the Real-Line is considered a fractal. It is a straight line that is infinitely long and infinitely thin, and it exhibits self-similarity when zoomed in. This means that no matter how far you zoom in on the Real-Line, the same pattern will be repeated.

3. How is the Real-Line different from other fractals?

The Real-Line is unique because it is a one-dimensional fractal, while most other fractals are two-dimensional or three-dimensional. It also has a simple and continuous structure, unlike other fractals that may have more complex and irregular patterns.

4. What is the significance of the Real-Line being a fractal?

The fact that the Real-Line is a fractal has significant implications in mathematics and other fields. It challenges our traditional understanding of geometry and opens up new possibilities for studying and representing natural phenomena. It also has practical applications in fields such as data compression and image processing.

5. Can the Real-Line be used to model real-world systems?

Yes, the Real-Line can be used to model various real-world systems, such as the stock market, population growth, and weather patterns. Its self-similarity and ability to represent complex patterns make it a useful tool for understanding and predicting real-world phenomena.