Does the normal force do work?

In summary, the question asks about the work done by the normal force on mass m as it moves from point A to point B on a simple incline plane. While there may be components of the force in the x and y directions, work is a scalar quantity and can be found by adding the work done by each component. In this case, the work done by the x and y components of the force cancel each other out, resulting in a total work of zero.
endaman95

Homework Statement

Consider the mass m1 on a simple incline plane. It passes from point A downwards with the velocity v0 and stops at point B (still on the plane).

What is the work done by the normal force on mass m during the complete motion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my book it says zero but I don't think it is because the mass moves diagonally down which shows movement in x and y axis. Since the normal force acting on the mass isn't perpendicular to the y-axis movement. It should do work in the opposite direction. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
endaman95 said:
In my book it says zero but I don't think it is because the mass moves diagonally down which shows movement in x and y axis. Since the normal force acting on the mass isn't perpendicular to the y-axis movement. It should do work in the opposite direction. What do you think?
Work it out. What are the vertical and horizontal components of the normal force and the displacement? Figure out the work done by each component and add together to get the total.

Your book is correct. Note that the normal force is perpendicular to the displacement down the incline. But you'll get the same answer when you break it into vertical and horizontal components.

You seem to be under the impression that there is a "work in the y-direction" and "work in the x-direction". There isn't. Work is a scalar quantity, not a vector.

Thank you. My misconception was thinking of it as a vectoral quantity. Now I get it.

HallsofIvy said:
You seem to be under the impression that there is a "work in the y-direction" and "work in the x-direction". There isn't. Work is a scalar quantity, not a vector.
You can certainly choose to look at the components of a force separately and consider the work done by each to get the total. (Of course you must add them up!)

HallsofIvy said:
Work is a scalar quantity, not a vector.
While it may not be a vector there can still be a direction associated with work in the same way that kinetic energy is also a scalar quantity but the velocity still has a direction associated with it. Direction in this sense then doesn't necessarily mean a vector but rather that it is a function of the x and y variables.

Last edited:
paisiello2 said:
While it may not be a vector there can still be a direction associated with work in the same way that kinetic energy is also a scalar quantity but the velocity still has a direction associated with it. Direction in this sense then doesn't necessarily mean a vector but rather that it is a function of the x and y variables.
To put some algebra around that notion, let the (normal) force vector be expressed as ##\vec F = F_x\vec i + F_y \vec j## and the displacement vector by ##\vec r = r_x\vec i + r_y \vec j##. Then the work done is ##\int \vec F.d\vec r = \int F_x.dx + \int F_y.dy##.
In the present problem, ##\int F_x.dx ## and ## \int F_y.dy## are equal and opposite, so cancel.

Related to Does the normal force do work?

1. What is the normal force?

The normal force is a reaction force that occurs when an object is in contact with a surface. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from passing through it.

2. Does the normal force do work?

No, the normal force does not do any work. Work is defined as the product of the force applied and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. Since the normal force is always perpendicular to the displacement, it does not contribute to the work done on an object.

3. How is the normal force related to gravity?

The normal force is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force of gravity. This means that if an object is resting on a surface, the normal force will be equal to the weight of the object, as both forces cancel each other out.

4. Can the normal force be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, the normal force can be greater than the force of gravity in certain situations. For example, when an object is accelerating upwards, the normal force must be greater than the force of gravity in order to provide the necessary force to overcome the object's weight and cause it to accelerate.

5. How does the normal force affect an object's motion?

The normal force does not directly affect an object's motion. However, it plays an important role in keeping an object in equilibrium and preventing it from falling through a surface. It also helps determine the amount of friction an object experiences while in contact with a surface.