Does the moon orbit as a classical particle?

In summary, to determine if the Moon orbits as a classical particle, we can compare its orbit radius of 3.84E8 m to its matter wavelength, which can be calculated using De Broglie's equation λ=h/(mv). By plugging in the values for the mass of Earth (MEarth=5.98E24 kg) and the Moon (MMoon=7.35E22 kg), and solving for v using the equation v=sqrt(GM/r), we can determine the wavelength and compare it to the orbit radius. If the values are of the same order of magnitude or differ by a small factor, the Moon can be considered to orbit as a classical particle. However, if one value is significantly smaller
Big_Tubbz
Thread moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
The moon orbits Earth at a radius of 3.84E8 m. To do so as a classical particle, its wavelength should be small. But small relative to what? Being a rough measure of the region where it is confined, the orbit radius is certainly a relevant dimension against which to compare the wavelength. Compare the two. Does the Moon indeed orbit as a classical particle? (MEarth=5.98E24 kg and MMoon=7.35E22 kg)

I know I need to use De Broglies equation but I don't know what it means by "compare the two". How do I compare the moon's matter wavelength to its orbit? And how do I, from this determine whether it orbits as a classical particle?

Relevant equations: λ=h/(mv), F=mv^2/r, F=GMm/r^2

Do I solve for V and then use that in the wavelength equation? How does that tell me how small it is in relation to the orbit.

v=sqrt(GM/r) λ=h/(m*sqrt(GM/r))

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have two values, the orbit radius and the wavelength, which have the same units. Are they the same order of magnitude? Do they differ by a small factor (2? π?). Or is one incredibly small compared to the other?

Related to Does the moon orbit as a classical particle?

1. What is a classical particle?

A classical particle is a term used in physics to describe a small, localized object that behaves according to classical mechanics. This means that its position and momentum can be precisely measured at any given time, and its motion can be predicted using Newton's laws of motion.

2. Does the moon behave like a classical particle?

In terms of its physical properties, the moon can be considered a classical particle. It has a defined mass, position, and momentum, and its motion can be predicted using classical mechanics. However, the moon also exhibits some quantum mechanical effects, such as its orbit being affected by the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies.

3. How does the moon's orbit differ from that of a classical particle?

Unlike a classical particle, the moon's orbit is not a perfect circle. It follows an elliptical path around the Earth, and its speed and direction are constantly changing due to the influence of other celestial bodies. Additionally, the moon's orbit is affected by the principles of general relativity, which take into account the curvature of spacetime.

4. Can the moon's orbit be accurately predicted using classical mechanics?

While classical mechanics can provide a reasonably accurate prediction of the moon's orbit, it is not entirely precise. Factors such as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, atmospheric drag, and the moon's own evolution can affect its orbit and make it deviate from classical predictions.

5. How is the moon's orbit studied by scientists?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the moon's orbit, including observations from telescopes and satellites, mathematical models, and computer simulations. They also gather data from past missions to the moon, such as the Apollo missions, to gain a better understanding of its orbit and its interactions with other celestial bodies.