Does the Earth get bigger from the sun?

In summary, the Earth is not expanding due to the added mass from the sun's energy. The Earth is in thermal equilibrium and the added mass would only amount to 0.000005% of the Earth's present mass over 4.5 billion years.
leonstavros
I ran into a theory that stated that the Earth is actually expanding due to added mass from the sun's energy. Is this true and if true by how much?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, it is not true. The Earth is in thermal equilibrium. This means that over the course of time, the energy absorbed from the Sun is re-radiated out to space. If this were not the case, the Earth would just keep getting hotter and hotter.

And even if the Earth retained this energy, its mass equivalence over the 4.5 billion year lifetime of the Earth would only amount to about 0.000005% of the Earth's present mass.

The Earth does get heavier from absorbing space dust and meteors. I've heard that this is about 100 tones per day This is a faint echo of how the planets formed. While heat (IR) from the sun does get radiated back into space, it sounds plausible that other particles from the sun could become ordinary matter and build up here. (That might be included in the 100 tones figure above, I'm not sure.)

But the core is also cooling and thus shrinking. So the planet is definitely getting heavier, but I don't know if it is contracting or expanding.

Algr said:
The Earth does get heavier from absorbing space dust and meteors. I've heard that this is about 100 tones per day This is a faint echo of how the planets formed. While heat (IR) from the sun does get radiated back into space, it sounds plausible that other particles from the sun could become ordinary matter and build up here. (That might be included in the 100 tones figure above, I'm not sure.)

But the core is also cooling and thus shrinking. So the planet is definitely getting heavier, but I don't know if it is contracting or expanding.

100 tonnes per day works out to 0.000003% of the Earth's mass over 4.5 billion years.

The solar wind striking the Earth could only contribute 1/1,000,000 of that.

Janus said:
100 tonnes per day works out to 0.000003% of the Earth's mass over 4.5 billion years.

That's why it is a "faint echo". In the early solar system there was far more matter in scattered random orbits, so huge quantities were always hitting Earth. Now it is almost all swept up, so what's left is hardy noticeable.

Thank you all for your input, I guess Earth is so huge that daily added masses hardly make a dent.

Related to Does the Earth get bigger from the sun?

1. Does the Earth physically increase in size as it orbits the sun?

No, the Earth does not physically increase in size as it orbits the sun. While the Earth's orbit is not a perfect circle, it is very close to one, meaning the distance between the Earth and the sun does not change significantly throughout the year.

2. Does the Earth's mass change as it gets closer or farther from the sun?

No, the Earth's mass remains constant regardless of its distance from the sun. The gravitational pull of the sun on the Earth is always the same, so the Earth's mass does not change as it orbits.

3. Does the Earth's shape change as it moves closer or farther from the sun?

No, the Earth's shape does not change as it moves closer or farther from the sun. While the gravitational pull of the sun does cause tides on Earth, these are relatively small changes and do not affect the overall shape of the planet.

4. Does the Earth's rotation speed change as it orbits the sun?

Yes, the Earth's rotation speed does change slightly as it orbits the sun. This is due to the tidal forces exerted by the sun, which can cause the Earth's rotation to slow down or speed up by a few milliseconds per day.

5. Does the Earth's distance from the sun affect its climate?

Yes, the Earth's distance from the sun does affect its climate. The Earth's orbit is one of the main factors that determines its climate, as it affects the amount of solar radiation that reaches the planet's surface. However, the Earth's distance from the sun is not the only factor that influences its climate.