Does the Copenhagen interpretation require consciousness for the same outcome?

In summary, there is an ongoing debate about whether consciousness is necessary for the outcome of a measurement, with some arguing that it is a valid interpretation while others in the Quantum Mechanical field do not support it. The measurement problem, which remains unsolved, is the main obstacle in determining the role of consciousness in measurements. One argument against the requirement of consciousness is that multiple copies of the same measurement can result in the same outcome, suggesting that consciousness may not be necessary. However, there are caveats, such as the wavefunction potentially being changed by the first measurement. Understanding the concept of eigenvalue is important in this topic.
hsdrop
does it matter if a person or a computer looks at the result
I guess I'm asking if something needs consciousness to have the same outcome
in the case that I'm not making any sense please ask and I will try to seaplane in more detail

and thank you for anyone that respons

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an interpretation that includes consciousness as a solution to the measurement problem. However, this view isn't supported by many in the Quantum Mechanical field, but is still a valid interpretation.

Likes hsdrop
well I guess the next question would be is what is considered as consciousness...? lol but I know that is not a good question for this forum. Maybe my next question should be, what is considered or counts as observing or an observation??

hsdrop said:
well I guess the next question would be is what is considered as consciousness...? lol but I know that is not a good question for this forum. Maybe my next question should be, what is considered or counts as observing or an observation??

This is unsolved, and it is called the measurement problem.

https://arxiv.org/abs/0712.0149

Likes hsdrop and Demystifier
hsdrop said:
well I guess the next question would be is what is considered as consciousness...? lol but I know that is not a good question for this forum.
What is considered as consciousness? Good question. I cannot give an answer to that.

hsdrop said:
Maybe my next question should be, what is considered or counts as observing or an observation??
But as atyy states above, the measurement problem has not been solved yet.

One argument against the requirement of consciousness being necessary goes as follows:
The observation is done by a simple machine, and what it observes is recorded, for example on digital media.
No human participant in the experiment knows what was recorded.
100 years later none of the experimenters are still alive, the recorded observation is copied thousands of times and viewed separately by thousands of people.
Do they all see the same thing?, or is the result dependent on the person looking at it.

They all see the same thing. In the "consciousness causes collapse" interpretation, we can say all those copies were "entangled" in a large GHZ-type state, and the first observation (100 years later) collapsed the entire state. There are other ways to treat it; for instance, attribute some rudimentary consciousness to the recording computer. Of course all other interpretations give this same result, in their own ways.

secur said:
They all see the same thing. In the "consciousness causes collapse" interpretation, we can say all those copies were "entangled" in a large GHZ-type state, and the first observation (100 years later) collapsed the entire state. There are other ways to treat it; for instance, attribute some rudimentary consciousness to the recording computer. Of course all other interpretations give this same result, in their own ways.

Well put - a better answer than what I was going to give. Agree with your statements 100%

can two measurements be taken of the same (particle / wave) say at two different points in the same path ??:oldconfused:

hsdrop said:
can two measurements be taken of the same (particle / wave) say at two different points in the same path ??:oldconfused:
Yes, but with major caveats! The same particle can certainly be measured twice - assuming you have some way to know it's "the same" particle, which is not always possible. However usually the second measurement encounters a different wavefunction, because it got changed by the first measurement. The only way it could be the same wavefunction, as well as the same particle, is if the second measurement gives the same eigenvalue as the first one.

Likes mister mishka, OCR and hsdrop
secur said:
eigenvalue
?well you had me all the way up to their:oldconfused: lol but its ok it will give me something else to look up and read and learn:partytime:

Likes OCR
Yes eigenvalue is a real fundamental concept you need to learn in this topic. Hopefully you'll only need to brush up on your linear algebra - as opposed to learning it for the first time! But that sentence could say, instead, "The only way it could be the same wavefunction, as well as the same particle, is if the second measurement is exactly the same type of measurement as the first one." The phrase "exactly the same" could use some unpacking - and there are other hair-splitting details that could be mentioned - but this should give the right idea.

Likes carolsack, hsdrop and OCR

Related to Does the Copenhagen interpretation require consciousness for the same outcome?

What is the Copenhagen interpretation?

The Copenhagen interpretation is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that states that the physical properties of particles are not determined until they are observed. This means that particles exist in a state of superposition, or multiple states, until they are measured or observed, at which point they collapse into a single state.

Who developed the Copenhagen interpretation?

The Copenhagen interpretation was developed by Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg in the 1920s. They were part of a group of scientists who gathered in Copenhagen to discuss the implications of quantum mechanics, and their interpretation of the theory became the dominant view.

How does the Copenhagen interpretation differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The Copenhagen interpretation differs from other interpretations in that it rejects the idea of a fixed reality or deterministic universe. Instead, it embraces the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the idea that the act of measurement or observation plays a crucial role in determining a particle's properties.

What are the implications of the Copenhagen interpretation?

The implications of the Copenhagen interpretation are far-reaching and continue to be debated by scientists. Some argue that it challenges our conventional understanding of reality, while others see it as a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that has been experimentally confirmed. It has also led to the development of other interpretations, such as the many-worlds interpretation and the pilot-wave theory.

Is the Copenhagen interpretation universally accepted?

No, the Copenhagen interpretation is not universally accepted. While it remains a widely accepted interpretation, there are many scientists who have proposed alternative interpretations of quantum mechanics. This ongoing debate and exploration of different interpretations is a crucial aspect of scientific progress and understanding.