Does the Amplitude of White Noise Double When Two Samples are Added Together?

In summary, adding two samples of white noise of equal amplitude will result in one sample of white noise with twice the amplitude. The same applies for pink noise. This is due to the linearity of the Fourier transform, which preserves the properties of white and pink noise. The constants, cf and cg, represent the Fourier transformation of the noise sources, f and g. If the noise sources are uncorrelated, their squared amplitudes will add, resulting in an increase in average power.
entropy1
Suppose you have two samples of white noise of equal amplitude. If you add them together ((sub)sample-by-(sub)sample that is), do you get one sample of white noise with twice the amplitude?

How about pink noise?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Both white and pink noise are defined by their Fourier transform (see http://applet-magic.com/spectrum1.htm), which is linear.

Suppose you have two time functions of white noise, f(t) and g(t). The Fourier transform of αf(t)+βg(t) is αFf+βFg = αcf+βcg, which is the Fourier transform of another white noise. So αf(t)+βg(t) is white noise.

Likewise, if f(t) and g(t) are pink noise, the Fourier transform of αf(t)+βg(t) is αFf+βFg = αcf/ω+βcg/ω = (αcf+βcg)/ω, which is the Fourier transform of another pink noise. So αf(t)+βg(t) is pink noise.

Last edited:
What does cf (and cg) mean? Is it a constant function? Is Ff (Fg) the Fourier spectrum?

My terminology may be faulty; I have enjoyed a scientific education, but I have never been particularly good at math...o_O

Sorry, I should have been more careful. If you look in the link I posted you will see that there are constants, c, in the Fourier transformation of white and pink noise. cf and cg are the constants associated with f and g. Ff and Fg are the Fourier transformations of f and g. (I could not get the LaTex script F to work immediately.)

If the noise sources are uncorrelated, they shouldn't have any fixed phase relation. I would expect the squared amplitudes to add, not the amplitudes.

Likes FactChecker
mfb said:
If the noise sources are uncorrelated, they shouldn't have any fixed phase relation. I would expect the squared amplitudes to add, not the amplitudes.
This is not a subject that I am expert at, but I think that means that the average powers sum.

Related to Does the Amplitude of White Noise Double When Two Samples are Added Together?

1. What is white noise?

White noise is a type of random signal that has a flat power spectral density. It contains equal energy at all frequencies within a specific range, making it sound like a hissing or static noise.

2. What does it mean for white noise to be invariant?

Invariance refers to the property of white noise that remains unchanged under certain transformations, such as time shifting or scaling. In other words, the statistical properties of white noise do not change regardless of how it is manipulated.

3. Why is the invariance of white noise important?

The invariance of white noise is important because it allows us to use it as a reference signal in many scientific experiments and studies. Since its statistical properties do not change, it can be used as a baseline to compare other signals and detect any variations or patterns.

4. Are there any applications of the invariance of white noise?

Yes, there are many applications of the invariance of white noise, especially in fields such as signal processing, communication, and data analysis. It is often used as a reference signal in experiments, as well as in noise reduction and filtering techniques.

5. Can white noise ever be completely invariant?

No, white noise can never be completely invariant as it is still subject to external factors and limitations. However, it is considered to be approximately invariant under certain conditions and transformations, making it a valuable tool in many scientific applications.