Does superconductivity really have zero resistance?

In summary: But then I found out there is no resistance and energy is still being conserved. I don't understand how that works.
clearwater304
Take for instance putting the large hadron collider in space at a near absolute zero where you never have to put energy into cool down the system. The LHC takes 10 GJ to run and the total energy of the two beams is 724 MJ. [1] Since the power to run the system never experiances resistence, would you have to pump power into keep the system going. If not, doesn't it defy the conservation of energy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

Physics news on Phys.org
clearwater304 said:
Take for instance putting the large hadron collider in space at a near absolute zero where you never have to put energy into cool down the system. The LHC takes 10 GJ to run and the total energy of the two beams is 724 MJ. [1] Since the power to run the system never experiances resistence, would you have to pump power into keep the system going. If not, doesn't it defy the conservation of energy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

What does this have anything to do with superconductivity having zero resistance? Have you even looked up the physics of superconductivity?

Zz.

The example was questioning whether you can have a circuit run continously without supplying power. According to the wiki page, you can. If so, can that circuit do work on a system, and does that not violate the conservation of energy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity

the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is at a right angle to the motion therofore no work is done and no energy is required

A superconducting electromagnet is pretty much just like a normal bar magnet in the fact that the magnetic field itself cannot do work.

Thanks, those are good explanations for why no energy is not excerted on the magnets. I'm still curious how energy is conserved. The unruh effect states that the particle would gain vacuum energy due to acceleration. If the magnets aren't doing work on the particle, where does the excess energy come from. If it comes from vacuum energy, how does this not break the conservation of energy.

I'm not trying to prove point, I really do want a good explanation. At first I thought the system must exhibit some sort of resistance becuase every site I read says vacuum energy conserves energy.

Related to Does superconductivity really have zero resistance?

1. What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon where certain materials can conduct electricity with zero resistance. This means that there is no loss of energy as the current flows through the material.

2. How does superconductivity work?

Superconductivity is caused by the pairing of electrons in the material, which allows them to move through the material without any resistance. This pairing is due to the interaction between the electrons and the atoms in the material.

3. What are the benefits of superconductivity?

Superconductivity has many potential benefits, including increased efficiency in power transmission, faster and more powerful electronic devices, and the ability to create strong magnetic fields without using a lot of energy.

4. Is there any material that exhibits perfect superconductivity?

No, there is no material that exhibits perfect superconductivity at all temperatures. The highest known transition temperature is currently around -135°C, and even at this temperature, there is still some resistance present.

5. Are there any practical applications of superconductivity?

Yes, there are many practical applications of superconductivity, including MRI machines, particle accelerators, and maglev trains. However, the high cost and difficulty of achieving superconductivity at practical temperatures limit its widespread use.