Does relativity restrict velocity relative to an observer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential limitations of the speed of objects in relation to each other due to the rules of relativity. It is suggested that the missile fired from a spaceship cannot exceed the speed of light and will gain mass instead of speed. The concept of time dilation and length contraction are also brought up as contributing factors to the observed speed of the missile.
jfraze
I know this is a stupid question but I can't figure out how to get an answer. I'm trying to figure out if the rules of relativity force a limit on the velocities of two objects in relation to each other. Just as a thought experiment, if a spaceship is traveling at 186,281 miles per second over a finite distance from point A to point B, and fires a missile at 1 mile per second relative to itself, that missile should be traveling at 186,282 miles per second relative to points A and B, which is not possible. So would relativity actually prevent the hypothetical missile from traveling at 1 mile per second relative to the hypothetical spaceship? (To take it further, what if the spaceship were traveling 186,281.999999 miles per second... the fastest it could fire a missile, relative to itself, would have to be less than .000001 miles per second. It seems observers on the spaceship would see that missile barely creeping away from them, even relative to their own spacetime.) My best guess on a solution is that since time is compressed for the observers on the spaceship, the missile might be able to travel at 1 mile per second according their experience of what a "second" is, but would still be less than the speed of light relative to points A and B. I may be off on the wrong track with that, though.

OK, you can commence mocking me now.

Physics news on Phys.org
The missile won't travel faster than the speed of light. Instead of gaining speed, it will gain mass.

jfraze said:
My best guess on a solution is that since time is compressed for the observers on the spaceship, the missile might be able to travel at 1 mile per second according their experience of what a "second" is, but would still be less than the speed of light relative to points A and B. I may be off on the wrong track with that, though.

That's pretty much right, although it's not just time dilation that makes the speeds cpme out that way; length contraction and relativity of simultaneity also contribute.

Spaceship fires a missile that travels at speed u relative to the ship. The ship is moving at speed v relative to some observer. The speed of the missile relative to the observer is not u+v as classical mechanics and our experience with objects moving at speeds much less than the speed of light suggests. It will be [tex]\frac{u+v}{1+\frac{uv}{c^{2}}}[/tex]
which is never greater than c, and is indistinguishable from u+v for the speeds that we're familiar with day to day.

Related to Does relativity restrict velocity relative to an observer?

1. How does relativity restrict velocity relative to an observer?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum attainable velocity in the universe. This means that no object can travel faster than the speed of light, regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. Can an object ever reach the speed of light relative to an observer?

No, according to relativity, the speed of light is an absolute limit that cannot be exceeded. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

3. Does this mean that the laws of physics change for objects traveling at high velocities?

Yes, the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. However, the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, become more prominent at high velocities and can impact the measurements and observations of an observer.

4. How does relativity affect our understanding of velocity and time?

Relativity states that velocity is relative, meaning it depends on the observer's frame of reference. This also applies to time, as the passage of time can appear differently for observers in different frames of reference, leading to the concept of time dilation.

5. Is there any way to travel faster than the speed of light?

At this time, there is no known way to travel faster than the speed of light. The theory of relativity is well-supported by experimental evidence and it is unlikely that this limit will be surpassed. However, scientists continue to explore and study the possibility of faster-than-light travel through theoretical concepts such as wormholes and warp drive.