Does R-omega satisfy the first countability axiom?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the set of all countable sequences of real numbers, denoted as \mathbb{R}^\omega, satisfies the first countability axiom in the box topology. The conclusion is that it does not, as it is proven that there is no countable local base for the point \vec{0} = (0,0,0,\dots). This is demonstrated through a detailed explanation and use of the box topology and Cantor's Diagonalization Argument.
Euclid
(in the box topology)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Euclid said:
(in the box topology)
The short answer is: No.

The long answer:
Suppose [itex]\mathbb{R}^\omega[/itex] is first countable.
Consider the set :

[tex]\mathbb{R}^\omega_+ = \{ x \in \mathbb{R}^\omega \hspace{2 mm} \vert \hspace{2 mm} \pi_i (x) > 0 \hspace{2 mm} \forall \hspace{2 mm} i \in \mathbb{Z}^+ \}[/tex]

Where [itex]\pi_i : \mathbb{R}^\omega \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] is the i-th projection function.

Clearly, the point [itex]\vec{0} = (0,0,0,\dots) \hspace{2 mm} \in \mathbb{\bar{R}}^\omega_+[/itex] ( closure )

Now, by assumption, [itex]\mathbb{R}^\omega[/itex] is first-countable, so [itex]\vec{0}[/itex] has a countable local base, [itex] \{ B_i \}, i \in\mathbb{Z}_+[/itex]
Define a new collection as follows:
[tex]U_i = \bigcap^n_{k=1}B_k[/itex]
Then construct a sequence as follows:
For each i, choose [itex]x^i \in U_i \cap \mathbb{R}^\omega_+[/itex] ( i is a superscripted index, not an exponent )
Because [itex]\vec{0} \in \mathbb{\bar{R}}^\omega_+[/itex], for any neighborhood [itex]U[/itex] of [itex]\vec{0}[/itex], [itex]U \cap \mathbb{R}^\omega_+ \neq \varnothing [/itex], so this process is well defined.
Clearly, then, [itex]x^i \longrightarrow \vec{0}[/itex], as any neighborhood [itex]W[/itex] containing [itex]\vec{0}[/itex] must contain [itex]B_N[/itex] for some N ( definition of a local base ). But [itex]B_N \supset U_{N-1}\cap B_N = U_N [/itex] so that [itex]\forall i > N, x^i \subset U_N \subset W[/itex]. Therefore:
[tex]x^i \rightarrow \vec{0}[/tex]

However, writing [itex]x_i[/itex] as:
[tex]x^i = ( x^i_1, x^i_2, x^i_3, \dots )[/tex]
and for each i, letting:
[tex]V_i = ( -x^i_i , x^i_i ) \subset \mathbb{R}[/tex] ( not tensor notation )
we consider the set:
[tex]V = V^1_1 \times V^2_2 \times V^3_3 \times ... \subset \mathbb{R}^\omega[/tex]
( note the similarity to Cantor's Diagonalization Argument for the uncountablilty of the reals )
Now, we use box topology: V is the countable product of sets in the basis of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], and therefore, is open in [itex]\mathbb{R}^\omega[/itex]
It should be obvious that [itex]\forall i, x^i \notin V[/itex] ( they lie on the boundary of V ). Thus, V is a neighborhood of [itex]\vec{0}[/itex] disjoint from [itex]\{x^i\}[/itex]. Therefore:
[tex]x^i \nrightarrow \vec{0}[/tex]
Thus we have a contradiction, and there can be no countable local base for [itex]\vec{0} \in \mathbb{R}^\omega[/itex], so [itex]\mathbb{R}^\omega[/itex] cannot be first countable.

-joeboo

( sorry this took so long, it was my first time ( ever! ) using LaTeX, so it took me a long while to write it out. I hope it's clear enough )

Yes, R-omega satisfies the first countability axiom in the box topology. This is because for any point x in R-omega, we can construct a countable local basis at x, which is a collection of open sets that contain x and whose intersections with any open set containing x form a basis for the topology at x. In the case of R-omega, we can take the collection of open intervals centered at x with rational endpoints as our local basis. This is a countable collection and any open set containing x will contain one of these intervals, satisfying the first countability axiom.

Related to Does R-omega satisfy the first countability axiom?

1. What is the first countability axiom?

The first countability axiom is a fundamental property in topology that states that for every point in a topological space, there exists a countable basis of open sets that contain the point.

2. What is R-omega?

R-omega, also known as the ordinal space, is a topological space that is constructed by taking the union of all the smaller ordinal spaces, which are sets of well-ordered numbers. It is commonly used in analysis and topology to study the properties of infinite sequences and limits.

3. How does R-omega satisfy the first countability axiom?

R-omega satisfies the first countability axiom because for every point in the space, there exists a countable basis of open sets that contain the point. This is because R-omega is a sequential space, meaning that the convergence of a sequence is determined by the behavior of the sequence at each point.

4. What are the implications of R-omega satisfying the first countability axiom?

The first countability axiom ensures that R-omega is a well-behaved topological space, making it easier to study and analyze. It also allows for the use of important concepts such as sequential continuity and sequential compactness, which are crucial in many areas of mathematics.

5. Are there any other spaces that satisfy the first countability axiom?

Yes, there are many other spaces that satisfy the first countability axiom, including metric spaces and Hausdorff spaces. However, not all topological spaces satisfy this axiom, making it an important property in distinguishing different types of spaces.