Does loud voice mean high frequency?

In summary: Additionally, the velocity of sound is dependent on the medium it is traveling through, and this can be calculated using various formulas that take into account the properties of the medium such as density and elasticity.
avito009
As I know: Velocity of sound = wavelength x frequency. If frequency increases wavelength decreases. So even if you shout loudly the velocity of sound won't change only that you will hear a louder voice.

So does that mean that louder voice has higher frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
A louder voice has higher amplitude sound waves.

avito009 said:
As I know: Velocity of sound = wavelength x frequency.

Then you know incorrectly

speed of sound is dependent on the temperature, pressure and density of the material it is traveling through, be that air, another gas or a solid. The speed (velocity) of a sound wave in a idea gas is independent of frequency but for a real world gas, the frequency does add a slight variation

The amplitude of a sound wave is independent of its frequency
Think of a piano or other instrument playing a single note ( single frequency)
it can be played louder or quieter but the frequency of that note doesn't change

you can even take that a step further. you listen to the radio or the TV I assume ?
when you turn the volume up and down the frequency of the sound doesn't change, aye ?
you don't hear the news readers voice changing pitch with a change in volume :smile:

Dave

Last edited:
Likes olgerm
davenn said:
speed of sound is dependent on the temperature, pressure and density of the material
You are right. The velocity of sound depends on the medium. So now we are in need of a formula of velocity of sound that takes into account the medium (Hot air, Water etc). Could you give out such a formula?

avito009 said:
You are right. The velocity of sound depends on the medium. So now we are in need of a formula of velocity of sound that takes into account the medium (Hot air, Water etc). Could you give out such a formula?

Isn't this now a different subject than the topic you started with? You never acknowledge if you had finally understood what "loud" corresponds to in wave mechanincs, so it isn't clear if you have understood THAT part of it before opening another can of worms.

Secondly, have you done a preliminary search on those relationships?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You never acknowledge if you had finally understood what "loud" corresponds to in wave mechanincs, so it isn't clear if you have understood THAT part of it before opening another can of worms.
From what I understand: The longer the wavelength, the lower the frequency. The 'height' of the wave is its amplitude. The amplitude determines how loud a sound will be. Greater amplitude means the sound will be louder.

Now coming to my previous post. As far as I know that if we were to calculate speed of light in water as the medium we would use the refractive index of water. But what would we use in case of velocity of sound?

Attachments

• amplitude-of-the-wave.png
    amplitude-of-the-wave.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 646
avito009 said:
From what I understand: The longer the wavelength, the lower the frequency. The 'height' of the wave is its amplitude. The amplitude determines how loud a sound will be. Greater amplitude means the sound will be louder.

Now coming to my previous post. As far as I know that if we were to calculate speed of light in water as the medium we would use the refractive index of water. But what would we use in case of velocity of sound?
A table like this, for example:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/soundv.html

Usually for sound the speed is tabulated directly whereas for light the index of refraction is more common.
There are formulas that relate speed of sound to the properties of the medium, too. But they depend on the type of medium (solid, gas, liquid, bulk or guided, etc)

I think that I have found the formula that I need. Formula of velocity of sound in water = c = (E / ρ)1/2 .
Where
E = bulk modulus elasticity (Pa, psi)

ρ = density (kg/m3, lb/ft3)

Drakkith said:
A louder voice has higher amplitude sound waves.
To summarize I would say that loudness depends on amplitude and amplitude is independant of the frequency or wavelength. Am I right?

avito009 said:
To summarize I would say that loudness depends on amplitude and amplitude is independant of the frequency or wavelength. Am I right?

I believe so.

Related to Does loud voice mean high frequency?

1. Does having a loud voice necessarily mean a high frequency?

No, having a loud voice does not necessarily mean a high frequency. The loudness of a voice is determined by the amplitude of sound waves, while frequency is determined by the number of sound waves per second. A person can have a loud voice and still speak in a low frequency.

2. What does a high frequency voice sound like?

A high frequency voice typically sounds thin, sharp, and squeaky. It is often associated with children or small animals, as they have smaller vocal cords which vibrate at a higher frequency.

3. Can a person change their voice frequency?

Yes, a person can intentionally change their voice frequency by altering the tension and length of their vocal cords. This is often done through voice training or singing techniques.

4. Is it possible to damage your vocal cords by speaking in a high frequency?

Yes, it is possible to damage your vocal cords by speaking in a high frequency for extended periods of time. This can lead to hoarseness, vocal strain, and other vocal disorders.

5. How does loudness affect frequency in sound waves?

Loudness and frequency are two separate properties of sound waves. Loudness is determined by the amplitude of sound waves, while frequency is determined by the number of waves per second. Therefore, an increase in loudness does not necessarily mean a change in frequency.