Does gre verbal matter for aerospace?

In summary, GRE verbal scores may not be as important for graduate schools in aerospace engineering as quantitative scores. However, it is still a factor in the application process. Other important factors include undergraduate GPA, research experience, and letters of recommendation. Internships and extracurricular activities may have little impact on admissions.
member 428835
does gre verbal matter for aerospace??

if this question should be placed somewhere else, please let me know.

my question: took the gre today, scored 160 quant (85%) and 147 verbal (40%). literally studied one week for quant (not holistically) and no study for verbal.

will verbal crush me for grad schools like UW, UVA, Maryland, Purdue?

thanks all

Physics news on Phys.org

That is low for verbal but in engineering it isn't a killer. I would be more concerned with your quantitative score. That isn't terrible, but it is below average for engineers. Then again, it is the GRE, and at most schools it is perhaps the least-weighted factor in your application.

My first time taking I scored:
158 (77th) Verbal
164 (90th) Quant
3.5 (30th) Writing

My writing score actually got me unaccepted from several graduate schools. I had to fill out waivers to bypass admissions.

So yeah, GRE scores tend to be a qualifier. A perfect score has little to no difference from a "passing" grade, but you should double check that you have made the minimum requirements.

Don't take the GRE too seriously. Yeah it matters for bureaucratic purposes, but what's infinity more important is what you have done with your undergraduate career (GPA, internships, research, independent studies, extracurricular activities) and how well you write your statement of purpose. Good letters of rec. also help! I had scores similar yours (I think 85%,50% and 4.0 respectively) and got into every school I applied to, 3 of them were in the top 10 at the time (UFl, USC, VT) for aerospace engineering. The point is the test doesn't tell the admissions committee anything useful about your abilities as a student. I attribute my success to writing a kick-a$$ statement of purpose, making the most of my undergraduate career, and networking with a few really good professors.

Don't waste your time and money retaking the test unless your undergraduate career is lacking.

Actually no, internships and extracurricular activities matter very little for graduate school admissions. Internships are better than nothing but nowhere close to GPA, recommendations and research experience.

Related to Does gre verbal matter for aerospace?

1. Does having a high GRE verbal score affect my chances of getting into an aerospace program?

Yes, having a high GRE verbal score can positively impact your chances of getting into an aerospace program. Many universities use the GRE as a way to assess a candidate's verbal and analytical skills, which are important for success in the field of aerospace.

2. Is the GRE verbal section specifically important for aerospace, or are all sections equally weighted?

The GRE verbal section is not specifically important for aerospace, as all sections (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing) are equally weighted. However, a strong performance on each section can increase your overall score and improve your chances of admission.

3. Are there any specific vocabulary or language skills that are important for the GRE verbal section in relation to aerospace?

There are no specific vocabulary or language skills that are directly related to aerospace for the GRE verbal section. However, having a strong grasp of English language and grammar can help you excel on this section.

4. Will a low GRE verbal score automatically disqualify me from an aerospace program?

No, a low GRE verbal score does not automatically disqualify you from an aerospace program. Admissions decisions are based on a combination of factors, including your overall GRE score, undergraduate GPA, and other application materials such as letters of recommendation and personal statements.

5. Is it worth retaking the GRE if I have a low score on the verbal section but a high score on the quantitative section?

It depends on the specific requirements and preferences of the aerospace program you are applying to. Some programs may place more weight on the verbal section, while others may consider your overall score more heavily. It is best to research the specific program's admissions criteria and consider your overall strengths and weaknesses before deciding to retake the GRE.