Does frequency affect inductor and capacitor value

In summary, a LCR meter can measure inductance and capacitance, but the values given are in Henry and Farad which are not understandable when compared to other frequencies.
Sebastian Neo
Hi ,

I was measuring the inductor and capacitor value of a resistor bank with a 100Hz and 1kHz using a LCR meter by fluke. I realize that with different frequency, the L and C values were different. If the measured values were the inductance and capacitance I can understand that it changes with frequency. But the values given by the meter is in Henry (H) and Farad (F) which I do not understand why it changes with frequency.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean you were measuring the stray inductance and capacitance of a resistor bank? What were the values you were measuring? Were the resistors wirewound?

I'm not aware of measured variations in inductors and capacitors at those frequencies with an LCR meter unless they are very small. At frequencies of 1 GHz and higher inductors can become capacitive and capacitors inductive.

yes, i am measuring the stray inductor and capacitor from the resistor bank.

Using the LCR meter, when I set the
freq = 1000Hz L =31μH and C = 810μF when R = 3Ω.
When the R = 300Ω, with freq = 1000Hz L = 9.55mH C = 2.71μF

When the frquency is at 100Hz, R= 300, L = 10.76m and C = 238μH

Sebastian Neo said:
C = 810μF
Hi Sabastian. :welcome:

If this is a figure for stray capacitance of a portable switched resistance box then it is almost certainly meaningless. I suspect the reason for coming up with an absurd figure will be found to be a limitation in the way C and L are measured by the meter.

I don't know how it calculates values for L and C, but perhaps you can find out?

Likes Averagesupernova and berkeman
What puzzles me is, how a machine applying a single frequency can think that a component has both capacitive and inductive reactance at the same time?
Surely, if you measure a "black box" resistance, all you can know is its impedance, with a resistive and a single reactive component which is either capacitive or inductive.
I suppose if it did a sweep of frequencies, it could obtain a resonance curve and estimate the separate inductive and capacitive elements from that?
I think some meters apply a step voltage and measure the rise/fall time of the current to estimate reactance. If so, this is effectively applying wide band of frequencies and measuring the response curve might give enough info to get values for an LCR model?

LCR meters are able to measure both equivalent series inductance and equivalent series resistance in capacitors. They may not even apply a frequency at all. If you apply a current source to a capacitor and plot the voltage you can learn plenty.

The bridge is being used in two modes.
In one mode, RLS, it gives resistance with inductance in series.
In the other mode, RCP, it gives resistance with capacitance in parallel.

Only R is a realistic value because L and C have frequency, f, dependent reactances which depending on bridge mode will partially cancel because XL is positive and XC is negative.
XL = 2πf·L, while XC = –1 / 2πf·C.

By measuring at different frequencies, you may be able to better estimate the values of LS and CP.

Related to Does frequency affect inductor and capacitor value

1. How does frequency affect the inductance and capacitance of an inductor and capacitor?

The inductance of an inductor and the capacitance of a capacitor are both affected by the frequency of an alternating current passing through them. At higher frequencies, the inductance of an inductor increases, while the capacitance of a capacitor decreases. This is because at high frequencies, the inductor's magnetic field has less time to fully develop and the capacitor has less time to fully charge, resulting in a smaller inductance and capacitance value.

2. Why does the value of inductors and capacitors change with frequency?

The value of inductors and capacitors change with frequency due to the behavior of their respective reactances. Reactance is the opposition to the flow of alternating current in a circuit, and it is dependent on the frequency of the current. As the frequency changes, the reactance changes, resulting in a change in the overall value of the inductor or capacitor.

3. How do I calculate the change in inductance and capacitance with frequency?

The change in inductance and capacitance with frequency can be calculated using the equations L = 2πfL and C = 1/(2πfC), where L is the inductance, C is the capacitance, and f is the frequency. These equations show that the inductance increases as frequency increases, while the capacitance decreases as frequency increases.

4. Does frequency have a significant impact on the value of inductors and capacitors?

Yes, frequency can have a significant impact on the value of inductors and capacitors, especially at high frequencies. This is because the reactance of inductors and capacitors is directly proportional to frequency, meaning that even small changes in frequency can result in significant changes in their values.

5. How does the frequency response of an inductor or capacitor affect circuit design?

The frequency response of an inductor or capacitor is an important factor to consider in circuit design. The change in the value of an inductor or capacitor with frequency can alter the performance of a circuit, such as the resonant frequency or bandwidth. Therefore, designers must carefully consider the frequency response of these components when designing circuits to ensure optimal performance.