Does Evolution Occur in Quantum Jumps? Exploring a New Hypothesis

In summary, a new hypothesis suggests that evolution may occur in "quantum jumps," where significant changes in a species happen suddenly rather than gradually. This idea challenges the traditional theory of evolution through natural selection, proposing that genetic mutations can happen in one large step rather than small, incremental changes. This hypothesis is currently being studied and debated among scientists, with some evidence supporting its validity. Further research is needed to fully understand the role of quantum jumps in evolution.
rekoj
Is it possible that evolution happens in quantum jumps as no intermediate lifeforms were ever found? Analogous to an electron jumping from lower energy level to higher energy level without intermediary states.

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for this question in the wrong section. I am just curious about stuff in general and have my own evolution hypothesis - correcting the existing one with an explanation of why no intermediate lifeforms could be found. Thats about it.

:welcome:

rekoj said:
I apologize for this question in the wrong section. I am just curious about stuff in general and have my own evolution hypothesis - correcting the existing one with an explanation of why no intermediate lifeforms could be found. Thats about it.

If you want a post or thread to be moved, please use the "report" button or contact a mentor. To spread it all over the place is not the right solution.

rekoj said:
Please do be mindful of the Physics Forums rule that new theories cannot be discussed here unless and until they have been published in an appropriate peer-reviewed journal.

Jonathan Weiner's book "The beak of the finch" is a good overview of how speciation occurs; you may find it both interesting and relevant.

This thread is closed.